Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlueSkiesandClouds
    • By BlueSkiesandClouds 15th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 10Thanks
    BlueSkiesandClouds
    Can I get some advice on roofing work already done?
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    Can I get some advice on roofing work already done? 15th Mar 17 at 1:39 PM
    Hi everyone

I'm not sure if this is the right place but there seems to be a collection of very knowledgeable people here!

We'd been getting roof leaks for a while and last year took the plunge with a builder who has worked for us before to completely strip and re-roof with slates.

He's done a good job for us with other projects and with this one it fixed the leaks so all seemed well, until a couple of weeks ago...

Remember those storms and high winds the other day? Those winds meant that I spotted movement around the gutter when coming home one night.

It seems that the liner(?) he's used under the slates is not completely fastened down and is poking out from under the slates.

Now I know nothing about roofing and don't pretend to, but it seems to me that shouldn't that be rolled under the edge of the roof and nailed in? Doesn't leaving enough sticking out to cause it to flap in the wind mean that it can tear?

I really don't know but I am worried about it.

I know the first response will be 'ask the builder', but I'm currently quibbling another issue with him from another project (don't ask), so don't want to bring this up as well unless it is a definite mess up.

Thank you in advance for any responses, it's certainly bothering me and would appreciate the input!

Thanks again.
Page 1
    • ABrass
    • By ABrass 15th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    ABrass
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    As I understand it the fabric isn't important once the slates/tiles are up. Having said that it does sound "messy" and that sort of stuff drives me mad.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 15th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 4,254 Thanks
    societys child
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    There's often a strip of under-felt which extends below the slates to prevent water dripping down behind the gutter, especially in wet n windy conditions.

• Furts
    • By Furts 15th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    Furts
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    The membrane fixed under the tiles should stop short of the eaves - say fixed to a batten or top of the fascia. There should be something going down into the gutter. The quickest, most robust way is to fit eaves protectors - cheap, black plastic, pre formed pieces. These get fixed under the membrane.

If your builder has extended the membrane/underlay/"felt" down into the gutter then that is bad practice and they should have known a lot better than this!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

471Posts Today

4,345Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin