Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 15th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 1,259Posts
    • 1,842Thanks
    LittleMax
    Requesting a Meeting before Deciding Whether to Accept a Job
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    Requesting a Meeting before Deciding Whether to Accept a Job 15th Mar 17 at 1:18 PM
    In short I had a job interview yesterday. There were 4 people on the panel, including a Manager, who if appointed I would spend some of my time acting as PA to.

I didn't feel that we clicked, and was not expecting to be offered the job. I had a call first thing this morning to say they loved me and were unanimous in wanting to appoint me.

I explained my concerns (it was not the Manager that phoned but another panel member). We agreed that best way forward would be a meeting with me and the Manager. This is now set up for tomorrow.

I know they say that when attending an interview, you are interviewing them as much as they you. But has this ever worked in practice. Has anyone attended a second meeting at their request (as opposed to a 2nd interview). If so what happened for you.

Many Thanks
Page 1
    • Scorpio33
    • By Scorpio33 15th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Scorpio33
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    Yes,

I had a job offer, was unsure about who would be my boss. So they invited me in for a days trial (and hand over from the current person).

For me, that day proved that my instincts were correct and that there would be no way I would be happy in the role. So I turned down the role and never looked back.

The key is to be honest with yourself. If the role is ok, but the people are not ok, then the job will make you miserable. It is the people that matter the most and it is very difficult to judge how you will get on with someone in one interview.

So go to the day with an open mind and you never know what may happen.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 15th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 15,794 Posts
    • 8,092 Thanks
    ACG
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    I think you are right to do what you have done. Part of the reason I went self employed is because I would not have the balls to do what you have done. However I have taken on employees and if they were in any doubt and I really did want them working with me I would offer them a meeting.

To be honest, the last person I interviewed we ended up in a pub after for a couple of pints. I think he went home pretty confident he had the job.
    • stator
    • By stator 15th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 5,895 Posts
    • 3,878 Thanks
    stator
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    Do you already have a job you would have to quit?
    Why not do the job on a trial ?
    Do you have anything to lose? eg job, benefits etc?

Entirely possible that your manager behaves completely differently when not surrounded by other members of upper management.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 15th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    LittleMax
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    Yes, I would have to quit current job, which I enjoy but is only temporary. Therein lies the dilemma. Usually you are applying for a job as you hate what you are doing or unemployed. I actually like my current job, but it will be coming to an end. If I take this job and it's not right, I will be stuck in it for a goodly while (it's a 13 month fixed term contract) against staying where I am and gambling on something else coming up.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 17th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    LittleMax
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    Thank you for all you replies. Meeting went well I have accepted the job.
    • Samiire
    • By Samiire 19th Mar 17, 8:34 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Samiire
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:34 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:34 AM
    That's great news! It definitely pays to be certain when accepting a new job as you want to be happy there even when it's on a contracted basis.

Good luck for when you start!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

3,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin