Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Margaret52129
    • By Margaret52129 15th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 259Posts
    • 346Thanks
    Margaret52129
    DIY bath grout/sealant
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    DIY bath grout/sealant 15th Mar 17 at 12:58 PM
    Hi I need to replace my sealant round the bath.

I've removed it but underneath it had grouting between the bath and tiles. Lots of that came away with the sealant, so my question is, do I now have to remove all the grout and regrout before sealing, or will the sealant be enough?

Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 15th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    I've only ever used sealant for that join, simply because temperature and weight will all make the bath move ever so slightly. Grout will crack. Flexible sealant copes with it.
    • Margaret52129
    • By Margaret52129 15th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Margaret52129
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    Thanks Aylesbury Duck, so do I have to remove all the old grout, do you think?

Thanks
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 15th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    Thanks Aylesbury Duck, so do I have to remove all the old grout, do you think?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Margaret52129

No - as long as the surfaces that you'll be applying the sealant to are perfectly clean and dry, then what's underneath makes no difference. Fill the bath with water before you start, apply the sealant, let it cure overnight then empty the bath. If you apply the sealant to an empty bath, the first time you fill it, it'll settle slightly and pull apart all your lovely new sealant.

To re-iterate - like many DIY jobs, preparation is everything. Make sure you remove all traces of the old sealant, give it a good wipe over with meths to make sure there's no grease or soap or anything left there, and you'll be fine. As long as the old grout is underneath where you'll be sealing, no problem at all.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Margaret52129
    • By Margaret52129 15th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Margaret52129
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    I'd heard of this before, I assumed it was only if it was an acrylic one. I've a cast iron bath, does that make any difference?

But I've no idea what I'm doing, and you seem to do, so that's what I will do!

Thanks.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 15th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    I'd heard of this before, I assumed it was only if it was an acrylic one. I've a cast iron bath, does that make any difference?
    Originally posted by Margaret52129

It's true, a cast iron bath will tend to move less than an acrylic one. But it'll still move - particularly if it's sat on anything other than a solid concrete floor ( the floorboards, chipboard, whatever will also flex slightly under the weight of a full bath ). It only takes a movement of half a millimetre or so to spoil all your hard work.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Cats are great
    • By Cats are great 20th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Cats are great
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    As Ebe said, I fill the bath with water ( and get in it) before applying, make sure the area to be sealed is clean and dry before you apply. I find silicone is much better than acrylic bath sealants as it has much more flex and silicone doesn't go mouldy and has a longer lifespan.....but it does smell nasty until cured.

Good prep is the key.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,058Posts Today

6,078Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin