Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ericlered
    • By ericlered 15th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ericlered
    Donor accounts for switching
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    Donor accounts for switching 15th Mar 17 at 12:35 PM
    Hello all,

I would like to take advantage of the switching bonus offered by First Direct (or others) but do not want to close my HSBC current account of over 20 years.

I also have Santander 123 / Nationwide Flexdirect and TSB Classic current accounts that are all serving a purpose so I don't want to switch from these either.

Any suggestions on good easy quick new current accounts to open that I can then use to switch from?

Is there anthing wrong with this idea?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 15th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 36,222 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    Just open a basic a/c from one of the banks with whom you have business already because then you will not have to jump through too many hoops!!
    I opened a TSB classic online
    Santander don't have switch deals do they? Maybe one from them (as well!)
    It's never a bad thing to have a spare account waiting for a good deal to come along......

I do remember being asked how long I had had the a/c open- but guess they can't object. Mine had been open a year. If you want to switch quick do not order a debit card
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • ericlered
    • By ericlered 15th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ericlered
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    Thanks Katie,

Having not tried to do this before, I guess I'm just a little worried if there are any small print issues with accounts being open for a very small amount of time before being "switched"

Or that certain banks current accounts had restrictions in place making them a bad choice for the switching process.

Or if certain banks such as TSB or Santander will grill you if you're trying to open a 2nd current account with them.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 15th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 36,222 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    Well as I remember I just opened the TSB Classic online without a huge hassle- it was very easy. It was my 3rd a/c
    If asked you say something like you want to keep money in different accounts as a means of budgeting!!
    I don't know about the time you hold the account because whenever I have switched I have held that account for at least a year. I can't see that it should be a problem what can they do? At worst close the a/c!!

these days people have multiple accounts- it's not that unusual.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • ericlered
    • By ericlered 15th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ericlered
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    Thanks again, have just applied for a TSB Classic, took about 2 minutes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

78Posts Today

2,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin