Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deceived
    • By deceived 15th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    deceived
    Beware icarhireinsurance.com
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    Beware icarhireinsurance.com 15th Mar 17 at 12:34 PM
    I purchased a car hire excess policy from icarhireinsurance for a recent trip. The car hire company alleged damage to a tyre and charged me £250. The sent me an invoice that was itemized as repairs £130,loss of use £50,administration £30 and VAT £40. I submitted the claim to icarhireinsurance.com which they settled but minus the £50 loss of use which they say is consequential. There is nothing on their website or policy documents stating this,when I phoned to query why this part of the excess charge was not being paid I was told its impossible to list all exclusions. I presume all car hire companies charge for loss of use as part of their excess fees so you would think a company selling a excess insurance policy would make you aware even in the small print you're not fully covered and in the event of any claim you are going to end up out of pocket. I am posting here as I searched for reviews for icarhireinsurance which were mostly positive but most never claimed. So if you are considering a policy from icarhireinsurance think again. Do not get ripped off.
    Thanks for listening.
Page 1
    • rs65
    • By rs65 15th Mar 17, 7:00 PM
    • 5,226 Posts
    • 2,483 Thanks
    rs65
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:00 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:00 PM
    which they settled but minus the £50 loss of use which they say is consequential. There is nothing on their website or policy documents stating this,when I phoned to query why this part of the excess charge was not being paid I was told its impossible to list all exclusions.
    Originally posted by deceived
    If they want to rely on an exclusion it has to be in the policy.

One of the exclusions on my policy is:-

Any costs that the Rental Company charges You for any period that the Rental Vehicle cannot be rented.
    • deceived
    • By deceived 16th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    deceived
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    Yes rs65 you are spot on, I found it. I missed it through the red mist, surprised they could not quote that when I phoned them. On the up side I learned another lesson and hopefully other people might see that this policy does not cover all of the excess you will be charged by car hire companies in the event of damage.
    • Jlo31
    • By Jlo31 17th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Jlo31
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    I've used these types of policies before to but never claimed.

That's useful to know.

Cheers

James
    • Jlo31
    • By Jlo31 17th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Jlo31
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    I've noticed that insurance4carhire do cover for loss of use of vehicle so it's certainly something I'll look out for when I use one of these policies.
    • deceived
    • By deceived 17th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    deceived
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    Thanks for the that information Jlo31
    • deceived
    • By deceived 18th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    deceived
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    I have looked at that policy Jlo31 and a couple of others and the loss of use covered is for the time during your rental not loss of use charged by the rental company while they repair their car.
    • Jlo31
    • By Jlo31 18th Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Jlo31
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    Cheers for that.

In the terms it states 'WHAT IS COVERED
    We will reimburse You up to the Policy Limit stated below for the amount of Excess, repair costs or associated charges You have to pay under the terms of the Rental Agreement if Your Rental Vehicle is involved in an inci- dent which results in:
    a) Damage to the Rental Vehicle including Damage to the windows, tyres and wheels, headlights, the undercar- riage and the roof
    b) loss of use of the Rental Vehicle
    c) towing costs resulting from the Damage to, or mechanical breakdown of, the Rental Vehicle;
    provided that You are held responsible as declared in the Rental Agreement for the Excess.
    '

I took it that the loss of use of the rental vehicle covered you for the charges that the rental company would charge you while it was being repaired..but I may be mistaken. It does also state 'We will reimburse You up to the Policy Limit stated below for the amount of Excess, repair costs or associated charges You have to pay under the terms of the Rental Agreement if Your Rental Vehicle is involved in an inci- dent which results in:' so I thought the 'associated charges' would also cover this.

Cheers

James
    • marlot
    • By marlot 18th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    marlot
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    ...minus the £50 loss of use which they say is consequential. There is nothing on their website or policy documents stating this,when I phoned to query why this part of the excess charge was not being paid I was told its impossible to list all exclusions...
    I've be looking to see if I could take that decision to an ombudsman.
    • deceived
    • By deceived 18th Mar 17, 10:50 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    deceived
    Marlot my policy documents do actually list loss of use by the car hire company as not being covered, due to temper I missed it and the monkey I spoke to when I phoned obviously missed it too because he quoted nearly everything else on the policy except that.
    • deceived
    • By deceived 18th Mar 17, 11:11 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    deceived
    Jlo31 do not get sucked into the trap,the loss of use is if you cannot use the vehicle during the period you have hired it for.If the vehicle is damaged in any way the car hire company will charge you for loss of use(loss of earnings) and from what I can see none of the excess insurance polices cover this. From the limited investigation I have done and much to my annoyance icarhireinsurance seem to be the ones that do list it ,albeit last ,everybody else seems to skim over it but then you find a clause about consequential charges and I would bet money it is hidden in there. I do not think there is any safe way around paying the hire company their own insurance without being out of pocket in the event of a claim.
    • Jlo31
    • By Jlo31 19th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Jlo31
    Hi,

I've tweeteted insurance4carhire to get there response on it. You have deffo highlighted a potential floor in these after market insurances. The strange thing I read up reviews on feefo and other such sites and while most reviews were just about the taking out of these insurance policies, there were people that had claimed and were overall happy no mention that I saw of loss of use charges. Some policies seem quicker at paying out than others.

If I get a reply from Twitter I'll certainly update you with their response.

Cheers

James
    • Jlo31
    • By Jlo31 19th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Jlo31
    Jlo31 do not get sucked into the trap,the loss of use is if you cannot use the vehicle during the period you have hired it for.If the vehicle is damaged in any way the car hire company will charge you for loss of use(loss of earnings) and from what I can see none of the excess insurance polices cover this. From the limited investigation I have done and much to my annoyance icarhireinsurance seem to be the ones that do list it ,albeit last ,everybody else seems to skim over it but then you find a clause about consequential charges and I would bet money it is hidden in there. I do not think there is any safe way around paying the hire company their own insurance without being out of pocket in the event of a claim.
    x

I have had a look in to halo insurance (iccarexcess) and yep I see the exclusion that they applied to you. '

Any costs that the Rental Company charges You for any period that the Rental Vehicle cannot be rented.'

I agree that is naughty of them. Thanks for highlighting this.

I'll see if insurance4carhire is the same.

Cheers

James
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 19th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Shedman
    carhireexcess.co.uk 'appears' to cover loss of use (see below) but not defined as to whether that's loss of use during rental period or loss of use for car Hire company whilst under repair. I have used them several times as rates are excellent and cover seems good but (touch wood) haven't had to claim. Now this potential loophole has been flagged I am going to contact them and seek clarification as I was just about to take out another policy. I'll post up their response.

Excess Reimbursement
    We will reimburse you up to the policy limit stated below for the amount of excess you have to pay under the terms of the rental agreement if your rental vehicle is involved in an incident and it results in:
    a) damage to the rental vehicle including damage to the windows, windscreen, tyres and wheels, headlights, the undercarriage or the roof
    b) loss of use of the rental vehicle
    c) towing costs relating to damage or mechanical breakdown, provided that you are held responsible as declared in the rental agreement for the excess.
    • deceived
    • By deceived 20th Mar 17, 2:06 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    deceived
    Be good to here what these companies class as loss of use. Thanks all.
    • Jlo31
    • By Jlo31 20th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Jlo31
    Insurance4carhire (different company to the one the op used) does cover loss of use and lost income. Just heard back from their Twitter support

' @I4CH Yes we will cover the charges from the rental company due to the loss of income during the time the vehicle is off the road...'
    • Jlo31
    • By Jlo31 20th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Jlo31
    I think Decieved has raised a very valid point though to check small print in policies as they certainly don't all seem equal in core rage.
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 22nd Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Shedman
    carhireexcess.co.uk 'appears' to cover loss of use (see below) but not defined as to whether that's loss of use during rental period or loss of use for car Hire company whilst under repair. I have used them several times as rates are excellent and cover seems good but (touch wood) haven't had to claim. Now this potential loophole has been flagged I am going to contact them and seek clarification as I was just about to take out another policy. I'll post up their response.

Excess Reimbursement
    We will reimburse you up to the policy limit stated below for the amount of excess you have to pay under the terms of the rental agreement if your rental vehicle is involved in an incident and it results in:
    a) damage to the rental vehicle including damage to the windows, windscreen, tyres and wheels, headlights, the undercarriage or the roof
    b) loss of use of the rental vehicle
    c) towing costs relating to damage or mechanical breakdown, provided that you are held responsible as declared in the rental agreement for the excess.
    Originally posted by Shedman
    carhireexcess.co.uk have now got back to me and confirmed that they cover excess charged for rental company's loss of use "Yes, I can confirm the policy will cover for loss of use excess from the rental company"
    • deceived
    • By deceived 28th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    deceived
    Thanks very much for the help people, I think I should change my name to Murphy or Sod as I seem to have picked the one that does not cover loss of use by the rental company.
    • localshop
    • By localshop 6th Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    localshop
    Insurance4carhire
    Before anyone rushes off thinking Insurance4carhire are comprehensive I can't see any cover for loss of keys. Wording omits 'loss' : CAR RENTAL KEY COVER
    This Policy covers You, for costs incurred up to a maximum of £500 per claim, for Damage to the Membership
    Card/Key for a Rental Vehicle - including replacement locks and locksmith charges. The most We will pay in
    any Period of Insurance is £2,000.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

401Posts Today

3,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin