Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PhilBB
    • By PhilBB 15th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    PhilBB
    Warning of fixed tariffs being withdrawn
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    Warning of fixed tariffs being withdrawn 15th Mar 17 at 12:28 PM
    We get articles in the press telling us when particularly the big suppliers are going to change their standard tariffs.

If (as I'm sure most on here are) you are on a fixed tariff then it would be useful to know when the tariffs currently on offer are going to be withdrawn.

I check my tariff against the competition and current suppliers offerings each time I submit readings and get a bill and have switched tariff several times before the end of my current tariff.

My current tariff is about to end. Two weeks ago I did my check and the alternatives were more as we are rising prices at present. Now I have had the notification of my tariff ending soon I find my current suppliers tariff I saw only two weeks ago is gone and the cheapest is now another 6%. If I'd known I could have gambled on switching early.

So, the question is - does anyone know of a source of information on when fixed tariffs will be withdrawn, just like we get dates for when standard tariffs will be changed? For instance is there some obligation to publish this but it is not widely advertised so one needs to know where to look for it.

Phil
Page 1
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Mar 17, 2:10 AM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:10 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:10 AM
    We get articles in the press telling us when particularly the big suppliers are going to change their standard tariffs.

If (as I'm sure most on here are) you are on a fixed tariff then it would be useful to know when the tariffs currently on offer are going to be withdrawn.

I check my tariff against the competition and current suppliers offerings each time I submit readings and get a bill and have switched tariff several times before the end of my current tariff.

My current tariff is about to end. Two weeks ago I did my check and the alternatives were more as we are rising prices at present. Now I have had the notification of my tariff ending soon I find my current suppliers tariff I saw only two weeks ago is gone and the cheapest is now another 6%. If I'd known I could have gambled on switching early.

So, the question is - does anyone know of a source of information on when fixed tariffs will be withdrawn, just like we get dates for when standard tariffs will be changed? For instance is there some obligation to publish this but it is not widely advertised so one needs to know where to look for it.

Phil
    Originally posted by PhilBB
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I'll see if I can assist you

If you are on a fixed tariff, then the best place to find out when it is coming to an end is to refer to the original contract. Whilst some fixed tariffs end on a specific date no matter when you joined, many end say 12 months after your start date.

A suppliers standard tariff does not end, hence why it is often referred to as an evergreen tariff, however prices can change and a supplier is required to give advance notice of such change where it affects the customer adversely (they usually give advance notice whatever the affect)

If you are on a fixed tariff, the supplier should inform you 49-42 days prior to the expiry of a fixed tariff of it's impending termination.

If you are asking for details of when a tariff will be withdrawn from the market, then the answer is that suppliers usually only give this information once the tariff has been withdrawn.

Have you considered using the MSE cheap Energy Club?
    You seem to do a lot of work that can be done automatically by the CEC.

Once you join, you can insert the end date of any fixed tariff you are on.
    There's no need to constantly check if there is a cheaper option for you, the CEC will alert you if there is (subject to any saving thresholds you set before such notification is sent)

You'll also get alerted when your fixed contact comes to an end (because unless you take action, you will move to the suppliers standard tariff which will be expensive, so savings will be possible)

Once you are alerted, if you log into the CEC, you should see the supplier & tariff recommended at the top of the list.
    If it's not there (and you've not set any filters), then unfortunately the tariff has probably been withdrawn since you were alerted, but whatever is cheapest will be at the top of the list.

Lesson to learn here is that if you see a tariff you want, don't delay in applying as it may not be there tomorrow.
    • PhilBB
    • By PhilBB 16th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PhilBB
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    Thanks. I'm aware of all that.

I use Cheap Energy Club as one of my tools but do plenty of my own analysis. Once you have built a spreadsheet for analysing monthly usage it's fairly simple to build on this to do all sorts.

Yes I'm asking about advance notice of currently advertised fixed tariffs being withdrawn from the market. Sorry that wasn't clear.

I've never seen this, it was just a long shot asking.

Unfortunately it is only hindsight that makes the withdrawn tariff attractive. Hence my question.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 26,540 Posts
    • 12,775 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:30 AM

Yes I'm asking about advance notice of currently advertised fixed tariffs being withdrawn from the market. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Originally posted by PhilBB
    I don't think any company publishes a date when their fixed tariff offer will be withdrawn, except perhaps they might give notice a few days before the date of withdrawal.

I have seen statements that a particular tariff will have a ceiling of, say, 50,000 applicants; although that doesn't help us customers.

Since the introduction of fixed tariffs being offered it has usually been a gamble; if and when to switch.

Although in some cases it would have been better to have paid the exit penalty and switched.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    In the past, I can remember suppliers giving notice of withdrawal of tariffs. eg only available until midnight tomorrow.
    But since prices have started to climb they all just pull the deals on the spot.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 16th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 3,671 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    The only reason that suppliers have to inform customers about changes to standard variable tariffs is because price increases have to be pre-notified to all customers on that tariff. People on fixed tariffs are price protected in the main. I am not sure that any marketing man would want to give out commercially-sensitive information that could well be of great benefit to a supplier's competitors unless directed to do so by Ofgem. I cannot see that happening in a competitive energy market.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

2,142Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin