Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Snowbelle
    • By Snowbelle 15th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 278Posts
    • 83Thanks
    Snowbelle
    Lost Parcel
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    Lost Parcel 15th Mar 17 at 12:10 PM
    I sent a parcel via Hermes on 2nd Mar but the tracking stopped on 3rd Mar. Buyer has contacted me and I have asked Hermes who have confirmed the parcel is lost. I filled in the claim form and had an email saying they will investigate and get back to me in 2 weeks. Do I need to refund the buyer now or wait?
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 9,983 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    I sent a parcel via Hermes on 2nd Mar but the tracking stopped on 3rd Mar. Buyer has contacted me and I have asked Hermes who have confirmed the parcel is lost. I filled in the claim form and had an email saying they will investigate and get back to me in 2 weeks. Do I need to refund the buyer now or wait?
    Originally posted by Snowbelle
    Ask the buyer to open a case for INR (item not received). When it's open, refund through the case.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • Snowbelle
    • By Snowbelle 15th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Snowbelle
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    Ask the buyer to open a case for INR (item not received). When it's open, refund through the case.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Buyer has done that already - I wasnt sure if I need to refund now or upload the tracking information showing the parcel to be stuck somewhere?
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 15th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    If you upload tracking and it shows it undelivered you will lose a case. You need to refund before the last date you can as otherwise they will force a refund and you will get a black mark. I had a parcel "lost" by My Hermes that was delivered after I had refunded. Luckily the buyer was honest and re-sent the payment by PayPal.
    Last edited by mrcol1000; 15-03-2017 at 1:59 PM.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 58,316 Posts
    • 41,269 Thanks
    soolin
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    Buyer has done that already - I wasnt sure if I need to refund now or upload the tracking information showing the parcel to be stuck somewhere?
    Originally posted by Snowbelle
    As per mrcol1000 says you need to make sure you do not allow this case to be escalated. To win an INR you need to prove delivery, and your own post suggests that is something you cannot do, all your tracking proves is that buyer is correct in saying parcel has not been delivered.

If this escalates before you refund then you lose your FVFs and get a defect, so watch your dates very carefully. How long ago was the case opened?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Snowbelle
    • By Snowbelle 15th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Snowbelle
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    If you uploading and it shows it undelivered you will lose a case. You need to refund before the last date you can as otherwise they will force a refund and you will get a black mark. I had a parcel "lost" by My Hermes that was delivered after I had refunded. Luckily the buyer was honest and re-sent the payment by PayPal.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    As per mrcol1000 says you need to make sure you do not allow this case to be escalated. To win an INR you need to prove delivery, and your own post suggests that is something you cannot do, all your tracking proves is that buyer is correct in saying parcel has not been delivered.

If this escalates before you refund then you lose your FVFs and get a defect, so watch your dates very carefully. How long ago was the case opened?
    Originally posted by soolin
    Thank you for your help everyone. The case was opened yesterday. I think I will go with your advice and just refund. Hopefully Hermes will pay out eventually.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 15th Mar 17, 2:32 PM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 14,439 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:32 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:32 PM
    I had occasion to claim for something from Hermes (not lost but damaged.)

I expected all sorts of hassle but when the two weeks was up they promptly refunded with no problems at all.
    Spend on clothes in 2017 £21.50/£33
    Make £4 a day in March £40.14/£124 (Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    • 9,983 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    Hermes are very good at refunding.

As above, refund your buyer, apologise for the loss and wait for the money back from Hermes.
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 15th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Nesty
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    If any Hermes parcel the tracking suddenly stops & doesn't update after 1 day considering it lost.

I had about 5 Hermes lost parcels in my time and Hermes have paid up everytime.

However, with Hermes it very wise to familarise yourself with their excluded list. There are a few items on there which they don't cover compinsation on, but I bet many send through anyway without knowing. Car parts is one!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 9,983 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    If any Hermes parcel the tracking suddenly stops & doesn't update after 1 day considering it lost.

I had about 5 Hermes lost parcels in my time and Hermes have paid up everytime.

However, with Hermes it very wise to familarise yourself with their excluded list. There are a few items on there which they don't cover compinsation on, but I bet many send through anyway without knowing. Car parts is one!
    Originally posted by Nesty
    It is wise to check every courier and their excluded lists.

I can't see the OP has sent any car parts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

169Posts Today

1,711Users online

Martin's Twitter