Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • golly99
    • By golly99 15th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 442Posts
    • 153Thanks
    golly99
    Would a house with rear access to property put you off?
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    Would a house with rear access to property put you off? 15th Mar 17 at 11:58 AM
    Currently our house is up for sale and saw a property which ticked a lot of boxes but one thing which did put me off from a security point of view was that there was a path with a grassy area behind the back fence linking the nearby streets up. There's obviously a fence/gate there and options to put up some trellis/planting etc, but wondering if it would put anybody off? I've checked the police street map thing which wouldn't suggest any issues and it is a very good area.
    Last edited by golly99; 15-03-2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: changed title
Page 1
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 15th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    always_sunny
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    If the door bothers you so much surely you can keep it closed?
    Expat with an EU passport
    • borkid
    • By borkid 15th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    borkid
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    No, my house backs onto a community field. No problems at all although the fence is 6ft tall and there is a hedge part way along. If you are really worried add some trellis or grow a prickly climbing plant up it.
    • Heather2603
    • By Heather2603 15th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Heather2603
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    No it wouldn't bother me, in fact depending on layout etc my husband might end up using it as main access as he's a public transport kind of guy!
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 15th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 6,060 Thanks
    kathrynha
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    We have front and back access to our property. It doesn't bother me at all as our CCTV covers all sides, as does the nosey old lady 3 doors up

My parents house only has front access, but with a gate to the back, and they had a burglar use the privacy of the back garden to break in. That isn't as big a risk for us.

You can always put a lock on the back gate if you are worried
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 45.5 lb
    Last updated: 11th July 2017
    Body Magic: Bronze earned 27th June 2017
    2 weeks towards silver
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 15th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    Surely as your the buyer it's whether you like it or not to buy.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 8,754 Posts
    • 55,186 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    In some ways rear access is a bonus...especially when you want to prevent taking bulky or messy things through the house.

I've lived in both access and no access houses and have always valued the extra entry at the back.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 97 out 86 in ...£13.96 spend
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 15th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    LittleMax
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    I am happy with rear access - but it wasn't until I sold my last house, that I realise just how many people are worried by it.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 15th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    I like having rear access to the garden without going through the house. As you have done, I would research the field, what it's used for now and what it could be used for in future.

Check google earth to see whether there are any dead end stubs of roads leading to it, i.e. could it be used for housing in the future and would that affect the value of your property?

I've heard of problems when councils install children's play equipment and people who'd enjoyed a quiet field suddenly complain of screaming kids.

You could fit a lock and/or bolts to your gate for improved security, and a nice bit of too-fragile-to-climb trellis.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 15th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 2,258 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    One issue is wee squads of teenagers drinking white lightning on a saturday night using the path as their hangout. I'd want to spend a couple of hours sitting in the car at least 2-3 times to check if there's many of that sort about first. Warm night are busiest with these kinds of twits.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 4,337 Posts
    • 17,856 Thanks
    Slinky
    We have a footpath behind our house and were burgled by somebody climbing over the fence many years ago. We now have trellis on top of the fence, an alarm and CCTV.
    • JP08
    • By JP08 15th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    JP08
    Plant pyracanthas against the fence - pretty flowers, striking berries that the birds love - and a deterrent to all but the most insane of miscreants ...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Starr_050817-7529_Pyracantha_koidzumii.jpg
    • borkid
    • By borkid 15th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    borkid
    I like having rear access to the garden without going through the house. As you have done, I would research the field, what it's used for now and what it could be used for in future.

Check google earth to see whether there are any dead end stubs of roads leading to it, i.e. could it be used for housing in the future and would that affect the value of your property?

I've heard of problems when councils install children's play equipment and people who'd enjoyed a quiet field suddenly complain of screaming kids.

You could fit a lock and/or bolts to your gate for improved security, and a nice bit of too-fragile-to-climb trellis.
    Originally posted by Hedgehog99
    The parish council were planning to do this next to our fence. We drew up a list of health and safety issues and got several other people on board and now they've agreed to site it at the far side of the field. It is a large field. The noise at the moment is coming from building our new village hall. We did research all this before buying though.

I think the OP just has a path at the back of their proposed property.
    • golly99
    • By golly99 15th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    golly99
    One issue is wee squads of teenagers drinking white lightning on a saturday night using the path as their hangout. I'd want to spend a couple of hours sitting in the car at least 2-3 times to check if there's many of that sort about first. Warm night are busiest with these kinds of twits.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Thanks for all the posts very interesting and useful . As well as the security aspect the above was my concern. If we get ours sold and put an offer in I might just stake out the area...hopefully won't get reported for looking suspicious!!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 7,876 Posts
    • 4,697 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Nearly all older terraced houses and all council homes,linked or semi, round here have front and back garden/yard access. It's mainly post 1970 private estate bungalows and houses that have no back access to the property (though some have kitchen doors to the back.)
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 4,337 Posts
    • 17,856 Thanks
    Slinky
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    We used to have a problem with this sort of thing, but the council put street lighting in a few years ago and it seems to have discouraged most of this in the bit behind us as they are visible from other houses.
    • Mgman1965
    • By Mgman1965 16th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Mgman1965
    People get lulled into a false sense of security with no back access.

We have no side or rear access but we were burgled, the mistreatment climbing over 3 six foot fences to get access to our garden.

Unfortunately for him, he left with our large, territorial and protective dog on his tail quicker than what he came in .
    Last edited by Mgman1965; 16-03-2017 at 9:59 PM.
    • golly99
    • By golly99 17th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 442 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    golly99
    Ha good story...I've held off getting cctv but might invest in it on the next house to feel like I'm doing all I can..also got a dog but it's a toy breed so it would probably just roll over for a tummy tickle if it saw anybody!
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 17th Mar 17, 9:18 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    sparky130a
    People get lulled into a false sense of security with no back access.

We have no side or rear access but we were burgled, the mistreatment climbing over 3 six foot fences to get access to our garden.

Unfortunately for him, he left with our large, territorial and protective dog on his tail quicker than what he came in .
    Originally posted by Mgman1965
    This is a good point. Footpaths etc are open ground to these bar stewards, they don't like that.

My parents old place you could garden hop for at least a mile behind detached houses and not get caught due to the foliage and tree line ( I never did of course! )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,353Posts Today

8,468Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin