Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue58
    • By Sue58 15th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sue58
    Direct Debits for Nationwide FlexDirect
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    Direct Debits for Nationwide FlexDirect 15th Mar 17 at 11:40 AM
    I have just opened a Nationwide FlexDirect account and would like to introduce my husband for the intro fees, however, in the switch it this has to include 2 Direct Debits.

He wants to switch his account but does not have anymore direct debits so apart from using 2 charities at a cost of £2 per month (against the interest) is there any other way?

I have a Tesco account so I think somebody on the forum said that you can use them for direct debits? If that is the case can I start 2 separate direct debits from my Tesco account into my husband's new Nationwide FlexDirect account? Will this be acceptable to the Nationwide? Or do I have to go the charity route?
Page 1
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 15th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 2,911 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    Which Tesco accounts do you have? You can't set up DDs from the current account, you can from the Internet Saver and the Instant Access Savings Account
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 15th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    • 20,557 Posts
    • 11,756 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    Your husband should open the two Tesco savings accounts and set up the DDs to come from his NW account.
    • Sue58
    • By Sue58 15th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sue58
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    Which Tesco accounts do you have? You can't set up DDs from the current account, you can from the Internet Saver and the Instant Access Savings Account
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    We both only have Tesco Current Accounts so basically can he open either of these accounts and then do 2 separate direct debits from his Tesco account to his new Nationwide account?

Would that work?
    • Sue58
    • By Sue58 15th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sue58
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    Your husband should open the two Tesco savings accounts and set up the DDs to come from his NW account.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    He already has 2 Current Accounts that pay the 3% interest, we both do. However ColdIron said we can't do DD's from a current account but only from a Internet Saver or Instant Access Savings Account?
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 15th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 2,911 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    You can't use the current accounts but you can use the savings accounts as xylophone suggests. It should be your husband that opens them for himself as the DDs are intended to be used on accounts held in the same name
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 15th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    youngretired
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    It's the account that is being switched that must have the 2 active DD's on not the new Nationwide account for the £200 recommend a friend T&C's.

If his account that he is switching already have the required 2 DD's then he is OK, if not then he can open the Tesco Internet Saver and Tesco Instant Saver and these all allow you to set up DD's but they will all require 10 days minimum to take 1st payments. These need to be set up on his existing account that he wants to switch NOT the new Nationwide.

So if he opens them today, instructs the 1st payment to be claimed in March and then he can switch in April. Active DD's mean that they are live and not dormant, some people say that they only need to be set up on the account but others say that it's best that they actual debit the old account 1st.

The DD's do not need to be kept active on the Nationwide account though best to keep them active until £200 payment received.
    • jquirke
    • By jquirke 16th Mar 17, 3:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jquirke
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:48 AM
    Another thought
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:48 AM
    if there any good ones going, you could get a credit card to bank transfer which would give you extra money in these accounts to earn interest on and also give you one or two direct debits to pay off.Alternatively, when they send you the set up instructions give them the details of one DD, eg phone bill to transfer. I did both and it is a bit inconvenient having one DD in a separate place but it is worth it.
    • Sue58
    • By Sue58 16th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sue58
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    It's the account that is being switched that must have the 2 active DD's on not the new Nationwide account for the £200 recommend a friend T&C's.

If his account that he is switching already have the required 2 DD's then he is OK, if not then he can open the Tesco Internet Saver and Tesco Instant Saver and these all allow you to set up DD's but they will all require 10 days minimum to take 1st payments. These need to be set up on his existing account that he wants to switch NOT the new Nationwide.

So if he opens them today, instructs the 1st payment to be claimed in March and then he can switch in April. Active DD's mean that they are live and not dormant, some people say that they only need to be set up on the account but others say that it's best that they actual debit the old account 1st.

The DD's do not need to be kept active on the Nationwide account though best to keep them active until £200 payment received.
    Originally posted by youngretired
    Thank you youngretired for all this information it is appreciated.

My husband is switching from the Halifax on a recommend a friend basis from me. Does he have to open both a Tesco Internet Saver and a Tesco Instant Saver and do 1 DD from each account or can he just open 1 of these Tesco accounts and do 2 separate DD's from the 1 account?
    • Sally57
    • By Sally57 16th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sally57
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    I'm about to recommend a friend to switch to Nationwide FlexDirect but she does not have any spare DD's. Can she just open one of these Tesco accounts and do two separate direct debits to her existing current account or does she have to open both the Internet Saver and the Instant Access Savings Account and do one DD from each account? Thanks.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 6,824 Posts
    • 4,001 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Surely Sue could have DD going into her Tesco saver from her husband's account, as it would be like any company selling a product having a DD set up, but her husband would need to give the instruction as it's from his money.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 16th Mar 17, 5:51 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    youngretired
    People on other forums re BOS Vantage accounts and other accounts requiring DD's say that they have managed to set up a number of DD's going to the same Tesco savings account by putting in different names i.e. J Doe, J E Doe, so they appear as individual DD's on their accounts.

This apparently does work but I've never actually done this myself as I always use different accounts (3 Tesco Internet Savers and 4 Post Office Online Savers) as they are so easy to open and manage. Also I know people use this method for meeting the T&C's of accounts but do not know if they have been used during a switch.

The account that the DD's are to be set up on must match the Tesco account name according to previous forums where people have stated that Tesco are now checking. You used to be able to get away with setting them up on partners accounts but apparently no more!
    • MonroeM
    • By MonroeM 16th Mar 17, 5:51 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    MonroeM
    I'm about to recommend a friend to switch to Nationwide FlexDirect but she does not have any spare DD's. Can she just open one of these Tesco accounts and do two separate direct debits to her existing current account or does she have to open both the Internet Saver and the Instant Access Savings Account and do one DD from each account? Thanks.
    Originally posted by Sally57
    From memory, I think you have to open both of the Tesco Saver accounts (Internet Saver & Instant Access) and your friend has to set up a DD from each of these accounts to her existing current account before she makes the switch to the Nationwide FlexDirect account?

Other posters may correct me on this if this is the wrong information?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 20,557 Posts
    • 11,756 Thanks
    xylophone
    Surely Sue could have DD going into her Tesco saver from her husband's account, as it would be like any company selling a product having a DD set up, but her husband would need to give the instruction as it's from his money.
    Apparently not. See post 3 here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5339057
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 17th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    They restrict it to accounts in your name as a security measure to prevent fraud. Besides in their mind there should be no need to pull money in from another person's account to save. They can send it from their account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,979Posts Today

6,266Users online

Martin's Twitter