Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Majic
    • By Majic 15th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 169Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Majic
    Vodafone Smart Ultra 7
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    Vodafone Smart Ultra 7 15th Mar 17 at 10:32 AM
    I'm looking to buy this for my son, mainly so he can play Pok!mon Go. I can see Argos £135.

I want to limit his use of it in terms of charges. Would a simple £10 PAYG voucher per month be best (that would be the most I would spend) or would it be best on some kind of deal?

I imagine calls and texts would be minimal. It's really for surfing and Pokemon

Thanks
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    Not sure why you decided you needed 2 threads for this

Make sure whatever you buy has a spending cap (preferably zero) as Pokemon Go (like far too many) has in-app purchases.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 16th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 3,250 Posts
    • 2,301 Thanks
    boatman
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    Certainly iDmobile and Tesco offer spending caps.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 6,302 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    Certainly iDmobile and Tesco offer spending caps.
    Originally posted by boatman
    OP mentions payg, there is no better cap than just loading a £5 or £10 voucher on a PAYG sim.
    Dave
    ====
    • Majic
    • By Majic 16th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Majic
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    If you played Pok!mon say 30 hours per month any idea how much this would cost in terms of data useage and how does this eat into a PAYG voucher?
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    • 6,302 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    If you played Pok!mon say 30 hours per month any idea how much this would cost in terms of data useage and how does this eat into a PAYG voucher?
    Originally posted by Majic
    You can buy an allowance on payg, £10 would buy a reasonable allowance, for example on giffgaff:
    2 GB UK data
    500 UK minutes
    Unlimited UK texts

https://www.giffgaff.com/pay-as-you-go

Giffgaff has a bad rep for slow data speeds, but it's still usable and actually good in 4G areas with a compatible phone (which the Ultra 7 is). Remember you would need to unlock the Ultra 7 for use on other networks, but its a simple matter of buying a code for a few pounds on eBay.
    Dave
    ====
    • Majic
    • By Majic 17th Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Majic
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    Thanks Dave, that's really helpful
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 17th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Atasas
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    V S U 7 is locked to Voda, hence would need to be unlocked.
    Also it doesn't​ fair that well in reviews.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/budget-smartphones/vodafone-smart-ultra-7-review-3643704/

For the expenditure cautious parent, I'd recommend cheaper handset (dropping etc) and hassle free for the SIM choice something unlocked like
    http://ebay.co.uk/itm/291745117849
    • Majic
    • By Majic 18th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Majic
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    Really good advice again, thanks Atasas
    • d123
    • By d123 18th Mar 17, 11:29 PM
    • 6,302 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    d123
    Really good advice again, thanks Atasas
    Originally posted by Majic
    Unfortunately it isn't very good advice, like a lot of the super cheap Chinese stuff, corners are cut, that Dogee phone linked to doesn't have either a gyroscope/accelerometer or compass.

These are needed for Pokemon Go.
    Dave
    ====
    • d123
    • By d123 19th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 6,302 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    d123
    The OP says the primary use is Pokemon Go, a phone missing the accelerometer and compass required by Pokemon Go seems a glaringly weird choice, doesn't it?

You are quite a strange person who is almost evangelical in pushing the super cheap (sometimes crap) Chinese unknown phones who gets rather excited and shouts troll at anyone who dares to disagree.

If I just wanted to say it's a crap phone I would have mentioned the fact that phones like these have no usable warranty, no UK support network for spares and repairs and also just linked to all the one star reviews on Amazon...

Here's a few:

1.0 out of 5 stars
    Battery life is poor. Even with light use I am running low ...
    ByMrsRJSharratton 2 February 2017
    Colour: White
    Battery life is poor. Even with light use I am running low on power towards the evening. I haven't been able to set up my Hotmail account on it.
    The touchscreen is glitchy and often struggle to open it with the 'pattern' option.
    Probably just easier to screenshot page 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B01C3YVL5S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?filterByStar=critical& pageNumber=1&sortBy=recent&reviewerType=avp_only_r eviews
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 19-03-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    Dave
    ====
    • Majic
    • By Majic 21st Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Majic
    Thanks for all your replies, I think I will go with the Vodafone Smart Ultra 7
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 21st Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Atasas
    The OP says the primary use is Pokemon Go, a phone missing the accelerometer and compass required by Pokemon Go seems a glaringly weird choice, doesn't it?

You are quite a strange person who is almost evangelical in pushing the super cheap (sometimes crap) Chinese unknown phones who gets rather excited and shouts troll at anyone who dares to disagree.

If I just wanted to say it's a crap phone I would have mentioned the fact that phones like these have no usable warranty, no UK support network for spares and repairs and also just linked to all the one star reviews on Amazon...

Here's a few:

Probably just easier to screenshot page 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B01C3YVL5S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?filterByStar=critical& pageNumber=1&sortBy=recent&reviewerType=avp_only_r eviews
    Originally posted by d123
    I for one, had owned variety of phones and currently still have 4 of them. All are made in China, some with better names, some with lesser and can tell anyone, that paying double for the same spec phone is not sensible anymore.

All i can see, you copying and pasting "opinions" of what you've read on, with a bitterness towards value for money counceus people.

Once again, if you keep on dreaming in affording flagship models and will pay up that sort of money-grubbing possible to understand as why you'd pay for waranties etc.

Your endlessly promoted Motorola phones are very probed to be breaking down and customers facing atrocious time and service from repair center, although even those are overpriced.

Based on time you spend on this board(trolling), I doubt dole pays you enough to afford even that one.

I did held up from responding to your flaming post direct message to you having fallen of a toll horse and named as a troll, but that is exactly what you are doing, hence do not address me in the future and be a man, do respond to the posters with question, as what you would know for sure- from practice.

This is feedback and image without your intentional distortions​, in making a screenshot from most critical reviews, that represents feedback in relevance and time posted.

£60 worth a phone, keep that in mind and see how many poster have responded in thread being satisfied with lesser known (still made in China) phones, as actual users.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 22nd Mar 17, 9:02 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    @Atasas, I don't know what your issue is with @d123 (and don't care so don't bother justifying it) but sticking a screenshot on which shows 33 5* reviews and 15 1* star reviews is not supporting your claim that the Doogee is particularly good. And it certainly doesn't confirm either way whether it would be suitable for Pokemon Go.
    • d123
    • By d123 22nd Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 6,302 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    d123
    I for one, had owned variety of phones and currently still have 4 of them. All are made in China, some with better names, some with lesser and can tell anyone, that paying double for the same spec phone is not sensible anymore.
    Originally posted by Atasas
    I have owned hundreds and sold tens of thousands of phones. Do you have an actual experience in the mobile industry other than owning a variety of cheap tat?

My experience in the industry has been posted on this forum in the past, which includes working directly for networks and in retail.

Your endlessly promoted Motorola phones are very probed to be breaking down and customers facing atrocious time and service from repair center, although even those are overpriced.
    I have imported a number of the cheap makes, not one had a satisfactory QC rate, we were seeing OOB failures of around 1 in 5 handsets from the likes of Dooggee, UMI, Prestigio...

Based on time you spend on this board(trolling), I doubt dole pays you enough to afford even that one.
    Not everyone is on the dole like you, my friend. I have plenty of time on my hands now as I sold my mobile phone shops and a phone repair centre for enough to mean I don't have to work full time anymore.

I currently use a Samsung S7 and an iPhone 6s Plus just FYI, but I wouldn't recommend my choices here, as they would be unsuitable for what the OP has said they require.

I'm sorry you appear to be in a financial position that means your only choice is the extreme bottom end of the market.

I did held up from responding to your flaming post direct message to you having fallen of a toll horse and named as a troll, but that is exactly what you are doing, hence do not address me in the future and be a man, do respond to the posters with question, as what you would know for sure- from practice.
    Calling out bad choices is not trolling, it's just called good sense.

This is feedback and image without your intentional distortions​, in making a screenshot from most critical reviews, that represents feedback in relevance and time posted.

£60 worth a phone, keep that in mind and see how many poster have responded in thread being satisfied with lesser known (still made in China) phones, as actual users.
    I was clear that I posted page 1 of the reviews, that number of bad reviews (and reports of faulty units and poor service) is unacceptable.

Even by your standard 33 good and 15 bad is still more than 30% unacceptable rating. A decent brand would be 5-10% maximum unacceptable rating.

Let's have a look at a phone you apparently don't like, the Moto G4, currently on Amazon it has 997 5 star and 105 1 star, near enough the more normal 10% rate...

Sometimes, it might be reasonable to suggest a super bottom of the budget handset, other times doing so when it obviously doesn't meet what the person is asking for is just poor advice, possibly even the favourite word you love, trolling...
    Dave
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

2,030Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin