Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 15th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 222Posts
    • 962Thanks
    Council Tax reduction for looking at an eyesore?
    • #1
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    Council Tax reduction for looking at an eyesore? 15th Mar 17 at 10:28 AM
    Hi All,

    I'm hoping someone can please advise. The house opposite us is a complete eyesore and has been for many, many months. They first demolished the side single story extension, which took an incredibly long amount of time as they were clearly not professional builders and the 2-3 people working on manually demolishing it only worked the odd day here and there. They then slowly put in footings and then started to build breeze block walls. Eventually (and we're talking over a year later), they clad the walls in stone and progress seemed to be being made... until they were ordered to demolish it as the footings weren't deep enough and the cladding wasn't tied to the inner wall properly. So again we're back to a demolished house. We get so many people asking what's happening with the house and commenting on how long it's taking, it is honestly embarrassing. Anyway my mum mentioned the other day that she thought you could get a council tax reduction if you're looking at an eyesore and thought that a house left in a demolished state with no work on it for months upon months sounds like it classes as an eyesore. Does anyone know if that is the case? Are you eligible for council tax reductions/refunds for eyesores? Would a demolished and derelict house class as an eyesore? Any help and advice gratefully received!
    Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Current £10,475
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£216,000 / Current -£196,200
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£136,000/ Current -£125,130
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Current -£3,577.63
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Current -£35,655.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / 29th April 2017 -£14,003.85
Page 1
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,791 Thanks
    • #2
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    • #2
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    Each council varies for what discounts it gives so you would need to contact your specific authority.

    Many councils do not now offer any form of discounts across the board so to be fair I doubt if the appearance of a building is actually going to produce a discount for near neighbours.....most things are subjective and what one person terms as an eyesore others may disagree.

    Your first contact should be with the council tax helpline for your council to discuss...I've never heard of an eyesore discount but would happily stand corrected if someone knew otherwise.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    2017 toiletries 131 out 101 in ...£14.92 spend
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 5,792 Posts
    • 5,541 Thanks
    • #3
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • #3
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    my mum mentioned the other day that she thought you could get a council tax reduction if you're looking at an eyesore
    Originally posted by ch4rly2002
    Please ask your mum where she got this bizarre idea from. I have no idea why anyone would get a discount on their council tax merely because they've got a building site across the road.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • 8,229 Posts
    • 4,896 Thanks
    • #4
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • #4
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    I very much doubt it or all the newly built estates with industrial units in view would be built with inclusive low council tax.

    You could ,however, complain to the council about the eyesore's making the area look bad, but, again , there is little chance of anything being done. (Our council has a policy of fining people who leave out bins, beyond collection day, but when I complained about a whole row of houses needlessly having bins and old furniture etc on show, 7 days a week, to traffic going through the city, they said they were having a purge on the area...and that's two years ago).
    • Typhoon2000
    • By Typhoon2000 15th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    • #5
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • #5
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    You could get your house rebranded if you think it's now not worth as much, but that's about it ( but it could go up too).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,030Posts Today

6,314Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

  • Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion!

  • Follow Martin