Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 15th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jamrob78
    No Contract Pack
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    No Contract Pack 15th Mar 17 at 9:57 AM
    Had our offer on a freehold property accepted at the beginning of February and we're still waiting for the draft contract pack to be returned to his solicitor by the vendor. I've been chasing our solicitor and estate agent but we're not getting any response from the seller and the seller's solicitor is replying that they've not received instructions from their client. The last we heard was that he's just had his offer accepted on the house he's buying. Has anyone had a similar experience or is it just a waiting game / is the seller just not completing his documents until he has his onward purchase tied up?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Page 1
    • starshapedbrick
    • By starshapedbrick 15th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    starshapedbrick
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    We are in a similar situation - offer accepted but no paperwork returned to solicitors after 4 weeks. Their solicitors have been instructed but have yet to receive anything.

We've had our contract progressor do a full chain check and have been in touch with Estate Agents to follow up - but also looking around to see what else is on the market! We want to buy this house but if the vendors have changed their minds then we need to find somewhere else..
    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 15th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamrob78
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    Thanks. What's a contract progressor?
    • starshapedbrick
    • By starshapedbrick 15th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    starshapedbrick
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    Originally posted by jamrob78
    It's the person at our Estate Agents who follows up the contract and keeps things moving. So today I have been chasing the vendors Estate Agents (as have our solicitors) and the Contract Progressor has been speaking to the vendors solicitors and also our buyers solicitors to check the progress of the chain and see if everything is moving. Basically this is why we are paying Estate Agent fees - we chase a little, they chase a lot!

If you haven't already, speak to your Estate Agent and ask if they have someone who does this role.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 30,901 Posts
    • 16,464 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    If the chain isn't yet complete, you would be well advised not to spend any money on fees as it seems that's the approach your vendor has taken.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 15th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Possibly more commonly known as a Sales Progressor.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 30,901 Posts
    • 16,464 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    The negotiators did the sales chasing in the three estate agents I worked for. We didn't have the staff for such demarcation.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 15th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    The negotiators did the sales chasing in the three estate agents I worked for. We didn't have the staff for such demarcation.
    Originally posted by kingstreet
    Indeed, they are a rare luxury - only seen in the very largest branches.
    • starshapedbrick
    • By starshapedbrick 15th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    starshapedbrick
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    Indeed, they are a rare luxury - only seen in the very largest branches.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    Wow we got lucky then as our agent is a small independent! It's the job title I guess but certainly seems like an accurate description based on what he has been up to.
    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 15th Mar 17, 4:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamrob78
    Unfortunately I've already spent brokerage and valuation fees. I'll have to play the waiting game and keep chasing.
    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 16th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamrob78
    I actually saw the property listed with another estate agent. Is it possible the vendor is holding out for / has received a higher offer with the other agent?.........maybe I'm just paranoid!
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 16th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    The seller is not doing themselves any favours - they'll have more of a rush to do the paperwork later rather than making use of the waiting time (while solicitors are doing searches etc) and getting on with it now.

You're right to keep your eye on the market in case this one does fall through, but good luck!
    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 16th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamrob78
    Thanks for that hedgehog. Is it legal for them to discreetly market through another agency once it's been taken off the market by another?
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 16th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    There is nothing legally to stop them doing so. Morally dubious, but legally fine.

Ring the other agent to request a viewing and see what story you get.
    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 16th Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamrob78
    Good shout, thanks
    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 16th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamrob78
    I wouldn't be surprised if the vendor is reluctant to spend any money on fees.etc as my offer was £40k below the asking price!
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 16th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    I wouldn't be surprised if the vendor is reluctant to spend any money on fees.etc as my offer was £40k below the asking price!
    If the vendor is unhappy with the price, and does not wish the sale to progress, which their lack of activity indicates, why did they accept your offer?! People are odd sometimes.

Get the EA who's looking after the sale to speak to the vendor and find out what's going on.
    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 16th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamrob78
    To be fair the EA has been very good and has chased several times. The vendor is a difficult man to get hold of. The vendor's EA phoned mine to check the chain when they had an offer accepted on their onward property; that's the only reason we found out!

I did call the other EA who I thought was discreetly marketing to ask about the property. They asked if I'd already viewed it. I do know it was originally listed with them and then the vendor moved EAs for some reason. I assume the old EA can only accept offers from people who've already viewed the property when it was listed with them at this stage.
    Last edited by jamrob78; 16-03-2017 at 1:28 PM.
    • starshapedbrick
    • By starshapedbrick 17th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    starshapedbrick
    To be fair the EA has been very good and has chased several times. The vendor is a difficult man to get hold of. The vendor's EA phoned mine to check the chain when they had an offer accepted on their onward property; that's the only reason we found out!

I did call the other EA who I thought was discreetly marketing to ask about the property. They asked if I'd already viewed it. I do know it was originally listed with them and then the vendor moved EAs for some reason. I assume the old EA can only accept offers from people who've already viewed the property when it was listed with them at this stage.
    Is it possible that the other EA hasn't updated an old listing? It would depend if the vendor has a contract with two estate agents - but I know there is an agents local to us which is notorious for not removing listings/reflecting price changes on dual agent listings.

On the contract pack side a concerted chase of our vendors solicitors by our EA and solicitors plus me having a chat with their EA seems to have moved things along - paperwork was in yesterday, draft contract should be issued next week. Your vendor does sound a bit more elusive but remember they have accepted your offer. That doesn't mean they can't and won't change their minds but the prospect of a sale (or losing it) is your leverage to wield at the moment.
    • jamrob78
    • By jamrob78 17th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamrob78
    Thank you. Glad yours is moving along now.

So you called the vendors estate agents on their onward chain? Did your EA give you their details? I think I'll try the same approach!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

3,623Users online

Martin's Twitter