Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 15th Mar 17, 6:33 AM
    • 2,665Posts
    • 35,355Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Wednesday 15 March 2017
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:33 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 15 March 2017 15th Mar 17 at 6:33 AM
    O/S Daily Wedsnesday 15 March 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry and very cloudy but this is how the days seem to start at the moment, skies then clear and we've been getting some sunny days, we'll see. Washing ready to go out on the line in a mo.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was chicken goujons, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, was a bit late home from work as was assisting another member of staff as they are still learning some of our tasks that we need to do. Not sure what we're having for dinner tonight, haven't planned very well this week so will need to sort this.

Work wasn't as busy yesterday - we'll see what today brings, working all day as still doing the extra hours only until the end of March though.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 15-03-2017 at 6:47 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 15th Mar 17, 6:37 AM
    • 887 Posts
    • 9,449 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:37 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:37 AM
    Just a very quick post to wish everyone a good day
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 15-03-2017 at 6:38 AM. Reason: Can't spell
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 15th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    • 3,194 Posts
    • 36,034 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    Morning All

Reasonably bright this morning, it's quite nice not having to put the lights on when I get up.

Dinner last night was salmon with peas, brocolli and kale, really enjoyed it. I was really hungry as had been moving back into my own office yesterday and worked up quite an appetite! It will be good fun today as the children wont be able to find me!

I'm going to DDs after work (ugh, that traffic) to pick up a chest of drawers and other stuff to take to her new place. Hope she finishes work on time.

Have a happy Wednesday, take care. XX
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Mar 17, 6:57 AM
    • 5,132 Posts
    • 28,323 Thanks
    Gers
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:57 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:57 AM
    Good morning.

More overnight rain and a so far bright morning though on the forecast yesterday there was only rain over a small patch the west coast where I am! The rest of the UK looks to be dry.

Plans for today include two hours with the truculent teenagers first thing. I've taken some liver and bacon out of the freezer for later.

Happy Wednesday to all.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 15th Mar 17, 7:00 AM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 31,676 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:00 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:00 AM
    Morning all
    I'm setting off in a few minutes, there will be cake today as it is someone's birthday at work.
    I may go out and see DD1 after work today, yesterday was dance class for 2 of the DGD, I managed to buy a door mat for the boat.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 15th Mar 17, 7:01 AM
    • 6,243 Posts
    • 86,063 Thanks
    redruby
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:01 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:01 AM
    Morning all,

Looks like it will be a nice day here later on. Off to work for me but I feel much more rested after my days off, will see what today brings !

Not sure about dinner tonight will go and look in the freezer after this, I know there is some chicken in there but also eggs bacon etc in the fridge, so there is always a fry up if all else fails.

Still need to do an online shop so will try and get that done tonight, I also need to do a wash tonight.

Only on a short week this week two and a half days as I have a hospital appointment on Friday afternoon so not a bad week.

Have good days all xx
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 15th Mar 17, 7:14 AM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 17,658 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:14 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:14 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. It's promising to be a bright day here too and that blessed sneaky wind looks to have dropped at last. May get a bit more done in the garden later - dodgy hips permitting!

I have just been getting my favourite red pepper and cream cheese soup on the go, thanks to the bargain bag of peppers I got yesterday. More than enough to make double the quantity so there will be plenty left to freeze after it's fed us for a couple of lunches.

It seems Wednesday is now our preferred shopping day so it's off to Aldi we go after breakfast. I'll also pop into Iceland next door as there are a couple of fishy bits I want to get for the freezer, one being a bag of prawns for Mr TA's jacket spuds. I prefer tuna mayo in mine.

I have yet to christen dinner tonight but think it may be a pasta dish of some sort. Cheesy chicken, bacon and mushroom probably as there is some of the latter two in the fridge in need of using up.

Have a good day folks. Best of luck with the truculent teens GERS! (HUGS) to all the poorlies, sad and worried in need or want of one. Take care whatever you are up to xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 15th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 14,991 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    Good morning everyone

It's a fine and bright morning here so the washing machine is churning away on its second load. Hopefully I will be able to put some outside to dry.

I have had DD17 sobbing all over me this morning as she is panicking about going to school. Her counsellor has finished their sessions as she could only have 6 weeks free and then there would be a charge. I will be trying to get her to see our doctor either today or tomorrow as the poor girl can't go on feeling so miserable. The next thing is DD14 appears downstairs saying she feels sick. I know she is worrying about her first Cahms appointment on Monday. I am doing my best to keep everyone calm but it is really difficult. My lovely CMHT lady is coming round this morning to take me shopping so I will probably talk her ears off.

I have some leftover chicken so tea tonight will be chicken in a honey mustard sauce and rice. I have chilli as well if there isn't enough for everyone. Our grandchildren are staying for four days from Thursday so I will be making some child friendly meals too. They love veg and their favourite meal is a roast so that is Sunday taken care of. I will have to ring their mum later on and see if there are any other popular meals.

Hubby has gone off to work happy this morning as his company has organised a meeting at a local hotel with a buffet laid on for them. The whole workforce are being bussed there about 11ish and apparently they are all giddy with excitement . I suppose it makes a nice change from work and it's always good to get a free lunch .

Well that's all from me for now, hope you all have a great day, take care xx
    January GC £440.95/£450
    February GC £710/£440

• csarina2
    • By csarina2 15th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 12,275 Thanks
    csarina2
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    Morning ((((((((( hugs )))))))))) if you need one.

Still in bed, woke early, fell asleep reading last night, had to get up for a pee at 2 am.

Finished my medication, now to see if the infection has gone, need a blood test next week to check before the Dr increases my BP meds, see what happens this time.

Fine morning huge load of laundry in the washer, should dry outside. OH wants to cut the back grass, so he will be on mower duty his morning. Nipping out to see friends this afternoon.

Salmon and salad for supper tonight.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 15th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 16,589 Thanks
    snoozer
    We got back from Yorkshire last night and I slept well but I still feel tired this morning. It looks like we might have a slow leak in the roof there (probably thanks to Doris) so we will have to look at replacing the roof this year instead of next year which we were planning for. It's a 3 storey house so not simple to repair and last time we were told the nails holding on the slates had rusted through, so needs must.

DD has been very down this week, he magazine she works for had been sold before Christmas and she's not very happy with the new company set up. It's most unlike her to be glum and I think the fact that the builders still have to finish the snagging on the renovation is getting her down as well.

Dumpling, I hope your DD's get the help they need, enjoy your trip out.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 10,098 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Happy hump day

Well yesterdays 2nd viewing of a flat went excellently. So much so, I've decided to make a bid - how exciting! The lady who lives there was really nice and helpful in showing me various bills she'd received. It just ticks all the boxes, and then some!

She hasn't found a property for herself yet, so I explained the benefit of my position in that I am in no rush to leave. I'm not in a chain or waiting to sell my property so if it takes her 3 months to find her place, fine by me, it's 3 months I can save or buy furniture etc.

Phone call today at 1 with the mortgage broker who'll organise a solicitor for me. EEEK!

Apart from that excitement last night, I didn't do much. Early night and an early rise this morning. Football tonight which will ruin my NSD (£3.50) but that's all I'll be spending.

Hester - Enjoy the cake. I'm jealous.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (13/12)
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 15th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 17,658 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Oooh exciting times ahead SPEKY! Hope all goes smoothly x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 15th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Very foggy here this morning but seems to be clearing hopefully some sun later
    Speky thats great news
    Dumpling hugs make sure you chew your lady's ear off x
    Not much happening here today so will just potter and hoover
    Dinner pie n mash
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 14,489 Posts
    • 114,489 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning everyone and middle of the month already
    Speky How exciting for you I bet you can't wait.Making a place your own gives you such buzz and home ownership makes it even more special.Our first home was a leaky three bedroomed victorian money pit, but I can still remember our first meal there on bare floorboards with second hand furniture.I thought all my Christmases had come at once I wish you well and how nice that the lady was so helpful in showing you the sort of bills the running costs would be .
    Dumpling I do hope you get your Dds sorted out OK and do chew the CMHTs ear off she may be able to help and find a bit of a solution for you all. You are coming on so well over the past few months

Csarina baby steps missus no doing too much

Gers Take no prisoners with your truculent teens show them who's boss

T/A red pepper and cream cheese soup ,that sounds lovely, any chance of the recipe pretty please I adore soups and am always on the look out to try different ones

Well this morning is another bright and sunny day so I shall be putting on a wash load as If I chuck in my dressing gown there is just enough in there to warrant a load , and it looks as though its going to be a nice drying day ahead.
    The grass is really coming along now ,good job Mick, my great gardener chap will be here tomorrow morning to give the lawn its first cut.The daffs are all out and the tulips are coming up nicely as well.

I have a bit of baking to be getting on with this morning as well.NSD today though as I have more than enough in the cupboards and I an well into my Love Food, Hate Waste experiment no as its Day 15 and I have barely spent much at all this month, only essentials of things urgently needed so meals are a bit of a freezer roulette but its using up some stuff which I had forgotten about I have decided that the cash I will have saved by Good Friday I will donate to the local food bank to give someone else a bit of a helping hand. So its a win-win ,the more of my own stash of food I use the more the food bank will get in donation. Seems a fair swap to me and a good way to keep on track for the rest of Lent
    Hope you all have a fantastic day and the sun shines down on you all

Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    Love Food, Hate Waste, for Lent.
    Spent so far this month £3.78 second spend today bringing my total for the month to £25.13
    • lonewhitewolf
    • By lonewhitewolf 15th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    lonewhitewolf
    Morning all x
    Late one for me but been busy.
    Had docs yesterday and after going through all the symptoms with him he has ordered more blood tests and another ecg. Must admit to being worried as he said he wants to check some things then when we get results back I might have more tests. Refusing to Google the symptoms as I don't want to scare myself stupid. So now have to keep a food diary and an output record for want of a better phrase. Also have to keep a pain diary along with BP and exercise. Feel like I can't do anything without writing it down.
    Right on with today. I have a fruit loaf baking in the oven. Fish defrosting for a fish pie tonight and a pizza to make for DD2 as she won't eat fish pie.
    2 loads of washing on the line and fish fed and budgies fed and cleaned out.
    Just the hoovering to do later and a bit of ironing .
    Anyhoo best get on.
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 15th Mar 17, 1:21 PM
    • 9,256 Posts
    • 100,171 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Speky gosh it really is all moving along now; it's a good sign that the lady showed you all the bills and stuff, so you know what sort of living costs to expect. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all comes to fruition without any hassle.

Need to pop into Stony Stratford shortly, for photo frames. (There's a shop there that does inexpensive ones). I could do with a new one for my dog-minders licence (as opposed to 2nd hand, tatty jobbie I have) and I also need to get an A5 size one for my shiny new First Aid for Dogs certificate. So I'll try to get them matching, I think.

Annoying thing is I have to negotiate with Mr LW to go with me; if I was fit and well, I could just hop in the car and go myself.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 15th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon everyone.
    Been busy this morning, more washing out on the whirly, DW emptied, floors mopped and more ironing done! All because the sun is shining and I feel more workish.
    Have to keep a eye on DH as he is trying to sew on my machine, he's ok as long as everything is going right, but cue me when " help the bobbins stuck!"
    This afternoon I have to redo the elastic on DGS easter hat as it's too tight and cut DH's hair. ( well just a trim and then polish the top )
    Dad is coming for his tea so it's fish and chips with mushy peas but DH will have a chicken portion as he has a fish allergy.
    Nmlc thanks for starting us off
    SpeckyS excellent news.
    Dumpling hugs for you and your DD's
    Csarina take things easy
    Have a good day all.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 5,132 Posts
    • 28,323 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon all.

The main truculent teen was asked to leave the class, by me, as he arrived after the start. Been warned, didn't think I meant it! All was quiet and well after that, the rest are knuckling down to work. I did a little 'lecture' about it being their future and not mine etc etc - they'll be sick of hearing it though not as sick as me for saying it!

Got back home and then had to go up to the 'big house' to sort out a wifi problem which wasn't a wifi problem but a user problem. They were trying to connect to their wifi using a random / made up password. When I pointed out the password on the back of the BT router I could almost see the penny drop. Anyway, an easy task quickly done and back home. I even refused an offer of a G&T as it was only 1.30p.m. I do have my limits.

Now I'm waiting for the postie as he should be bringing me another Sonos speaker (sssshhhh - don't tell Camelot, it's all her 'fault') for the upstairs hall and a little Amazon Dot for downstairs. This house will be fizzing with technology - the other day I had my neighbours little four year son absolutely awe struck when I turned lights off and on by speaking. Lovely to see him and even lovelier when he tried it too. The innocence of the very young is still touching.

Well done Speky! First houses are always special, you'll be looking at and buying for it soon enough. I hope it all pans out for you.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 15th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 17,658 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Hi JACKIE - happy to oblige a fellow soupy! Here's the recipe for the Red Pepper & Soft Cheese Soup. Hard to believe, as it tastes so creamy, but it's actually a WeightWatchers recipe that I have been using for years! I only make it when I have picked up some peppers reduced otherwise it's not very MSE.

1 large onion
    2 red peppers
    2 celery stalks
    1 carrot
    1 tbs paprika
    2 veg stock cubes dissolved in 1 pint water
    200 gram pack low-fat garlic & herb soft cheese (It must be garlic & herb! Aldi now do one!)

Chop all veg roughly and sweat in the pan for 5 mins. Add paprika and cook gently for 1 min. Add veg stock and simmer for 30/40 mins. Liquidise till smooth then add the soft cheese and blend a further 15 secs. Season to taste.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 15th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 5,327 Thanks
    karcher
    Late to the party today.

I overslept this morning after being awake in the night so it was a rush to get up dressed and out of the door so i wouldn't be late.

I haven't read all the thread but did scroll through and saw news from SPEKY about the flat. How exciting ..hope everything runs smoothly and the lady finds somewhere to buy soon
    I trust we are all invited to the flat warming

Well I shall now scroll back and read everyone elses news whilst I drink a cuppa.

Have a good evening all
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,156Posts Today

6,681Users online

Martin's Twitter