Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davtho
    • By davtho 15th Mar 17, 1:36 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    davtho
    SCAM petrol pumps
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:36 AM
    SCAM petrol pumps 15th Mar 17 at 1:36 AM
    I have tested this a few times and before any petrol leaves the nozzle of the sainsburys petrol pump it clocks up 12p, I tested this as I was holding the pump leaver for a while before fuel came out and one day i kept pulling and releasing the leaver, just before the fuel gets delivered 12p appears on the pump cost.

Has anyone else noticed this?????
Page 2
    • facade
    • By facade 18th Mar 17, 6:26 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 1,390 Thanks
    facade
    You won't be able to see the flag even if you knew where to look, after decades of exposure to the elements (for want of a better word) it's bleached white now so would be almost impossible to see against the rock
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Couldn't the wind that was blowing the flag in the original Moon Landing films have blown it over, and covered everything with dust?
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 18th Mar 17, 6:49 AM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 26,516 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    What about the children
    Your thoughts fade
    As you shake between the fags
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Mar 17, 6:51 AM
    • 2,729 Posts
    • 17,778 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    What really annoys me is when I dispense exactly the amount I want to pay for eg £20 then by the time I get the hose back it has rolled over to £20.01p. Does this mean I am being scammed
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 18th Mar 17, 7:33 AM
    • 10,278 Posts
    • 12,971 Thanks
    vikingaero
    Petrol pumps are subject to Weights and Measures Act monitored by Trading Standards. IIRC they are legally required to operate within +0.3% to -0.3% on a minimum delivery of 2 litres.

How many of use weigh the products we buy at a supermarket. Most suppliers will over weight a product rather than risk fines. So your 1kg of flour will often weigh 1015g.

There will always be human error, faulty equipment and in-date calibrations that go wrong. But equally customers can benefit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19190048
    The man without a signature.
    • facade
    • By facade 18th Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 1,390 Thanks
    facade
    Which is why I'm resisting getting smart Electricity & gas meters.
    My old mechanical meters will have been manufactured to under read in my favour by a few %.
    The new smart meters will be more accurate, so I can only lose out.
    1 or 2% of a £1200 energy bill is worth saving.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• Car 54
    • By Car 54 18th Mar 17, 8:07 AM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 1,284 Thanks
    Car 54
    Which is why I'm resisting getting smart Electricity & gas meters.
    My old mechanical meters will have been manufactured to under read in my favour by a few %.
    The new smart meters will be more accurate, so I can only lose out.
    1 or 2% of a £1200 energy bill is worth saving.
    Originally posted by facade
    What makes you think they will be more accurate?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/customers-charged-20000-day-after-12696400
    • waamo
    • By waamo 18th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,112 Thanks
    waamo
    Petrol pumps are subject to Weights and Measures Act monitored by Trading Standards. IIRC they are legally required to operate within +0.3% to -0.3% on a minimum delivery of 2 litres.

How many of use weigh the products we buy at a supermarket. Most suppliers will over weight a product rather than risk fines. So your 1kg of flour will often weigh 1015g.

There will always be human error, faulty equipment and in-date calibrations that go wrong. But equally customers can benefit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19190048
    Originally posted by vikingaero
    Acts of Parliament and official bodies involved.

It's not a scam. It's a conspiracy.
    This space for hire.
    • facade
    • By facade 18th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 1,390 Thanks
    facade
    That is a software error, it wont affect the base accuracy of measurement.
    I would have thought in the 21st century they could be made more precise, and set a lot nearer the actual value, but I could be wrong (or is it right?- everything was better in The Olden Days)....

• Car 54
    • By Car 54 18th Mar 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 1,284 Thanks
    Car 54
    That is a software error, it wont affect the base accuracy of measurement.
    I would have thought in the 21st century they could be made more precise, and set a lot nearer the actual value, but I could be wrong (or is it right?- everything was better in The Olden Days)....
    I think perhaps you're confusing precision with accuracy.

A £5 digital watch may be more precise than an analogue Rolex, but it's unlikely to be as accurate.
    • facade
    • By facade 18th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 1,390 Thanks
    facade
    The meaning of precision changed recently, from what we would now call resolution, to repeatability/reproducibility/lack of random error.

A precise measurement is repeatable, so you can calibrate a precise instrument to be accurate, then we are talking about "trueness" of the results.

So in the case of the rolex, it will be precise if every 24hours it reads exactly the same time, but it won't be accurate if I don't set the time to match a standard.

• 20aday
    • By 20aday 18th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    20aday
    I haven't used a Sainsbury's Petrol Station for some time now as I no longer live near one however somewhere on their pumps there'll be a Trading Standards sticker from the testing they carry out.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Couldn't the wind that was blowing the flag in the original Moon Landing films have blown it over, and covered everything with dust?
    I assume that was a joke so doesn't need an answer?
    • facade
    • By facade 18th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 1,390 Thanks
    facade
    I assume that was a joke so doesn't need an answer?
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    No it was a conspiracy theory, but it still doesn't need an answer

• Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 19th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 706 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    Apodemus
    I haven't used a Sainsbury's Petrol Station for some time now as I no longer live near one however somewhere on their pumps there'll be a Trading Standards sticker from the testing they carry out.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    I used one yesterday but someone had already stolen the OP's 12p, can I complain to trading standards?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,040Posts Today

7,686Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin