Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davtho
    • By davtho 15th Mar 17, 1:36 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    davtho
    SCAM petrol pumps
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:36 AM
    SCAM petrol pumps 15th Mar 17 at 1:36 AM
    I have tested this a few times and before any petrol leaves the nozzle of the sainsburys petrol pump it clocks up 12p, I tested this as I was holding the pump leaver for a while before fuel came out and one day i kept pulling and releasing the leaver, just before the fuel gets delivered 12p appears on the pump cost.

Has anyone else noticed this?????
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 15th Mar 17, 1:48 AM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:48 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:48 AM
    Have you tried lifting the hose up so there isn't a trough in which the petrol can collect, and given the handle a good shake...?

At £1.17 a litre, 12p would be just over 100ml...
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 15th Mar 17, 5:50 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Muscle750
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:50 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:50 AM
    Ive noticed some pumps now have a tv screen showing videos etc and people talking etc all to take your mind off how much fuel your putting in
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 15th Mar 17, 7:25 AM
    • 432 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:25 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:25 AM
    How much fuel did it say it had delivered?
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 23,742 Posts
    • 50,351 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    I have tested this a few times and before any petrol leaves the nozzle of the sainsburys petrol pump it clocks up 12p, I tested this as I was holding the pump leaver for a while before fuel came out and one day i kept pulling and releasing the leaver, just before the fuel gets delivered 12p appears on the pump cost.

Originally posted by davtho

It's right up there with man not landing on the moon.
    • mcpitman
    • By mcpitman 15th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    mcpitman
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:58 AM

No.

Because it is not true.

The 12p worth you dispense is sat in the pipe, lift the pipe up and your 12p will be delivered.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    • 15,247 Posts
    • 8,637 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:36 AM

And that last 12 pence worth continues to be delivered when you release the pump.

All pumps are regulated by design and tested regularly. Its nonsense to think theres 12p going astray with every single transaction.

Its not a SCAM. Just because you dont understand something doesnt make it a SCAM.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 15th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    OP, presumably you think that your shower is "SCAMMING you". After all, it delivers litres of water before you get the water at the temperature you want.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 9,870 Posts
    • 6,880 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    And that last 12 pence worth continues to be delivered when you release the pump.

All pumps are regulated by design and tested regularly. Its nonsense to think theres 12p going astray with every single transaction.

Its not a SCAM. Just because you dont understand something doesnt make it a SCAM.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    But it is a SCAM if it says so in the thread title, surely
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 15,247 Posts
    • 8,637 Thanks
    motorguy
    But it is a SCAM if it says so in the thread title, surely
    Originally posted by neilmcl

True, like when "Not Fit for Purpose" and "Mis-sold" appears in a title....
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Mar 17, 4:59 PM
    • 25,468 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    It's right up there with man not landing on the moon.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    Im there with that one. Bought a telescope off ebay and had a look for the flag and other remnants of their landing. I found nothing.

The chinese landing also claimed their was no flag or other signs of a moon landing. I didnt find any traces of the Chinese landing either though.

Maybe its because we had trouble actually finding the moon on the telescope? Full moon (not a supermoon) but large and clear enough yet we struggled to find it

So i am doubting the moon actually exists so you cannot land on something that doesnt exist.
    Should i start on the earth being flat now?

Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 15th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    IShould i start on the earth being flat now?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Can't be. There's a thread all about someone reversing their car into a chasm on someone's driveway.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 15th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 4,975 Posts
    • 4,632 Thanks
    eddddy
    if you want to complain...

https://www.resolver.co.uk/consumer-rights/petrol-stations-pump-inaccurate-complaints
    • stator
    • By stator 16th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    stator
    https://xkcd.com/1721/
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • UKSBD
    • By UKSBD 16th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    UKSBD
    Turning that round the other way.

Does that mean if I buy premium quality petrol there is a possibility that the 1st 12pence worth is only regular?
    • facade
    • By facade 16th Mar 17, 5:07 PM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    facade
    I haven't seen one of those Olden Days mixer pumps, with only the one hose, for donkeys years, they always have different hoses for normal and expensive, so no.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • UKSBD
    • By UKSBD 16th Mar 17, 10:42 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    UKSBD
    I haven't seen one of those Olden Days mixer pumps, with only the one hose, for donkeys years, they always have different hoses for normal and expensive, so no.
    Originally posted by facade

Thank goodness for that.
    I would hate to think I was putting 12p worth of regular in when paying for premium.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 17th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    If its a self-service, pay at pump, then it is possible the previous person shut off the pump then put the hose back in the car and re-opened the trigger to drain what they could from the pipe. That would leave the next person paying for air as the OP says.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 17th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,327 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Im there with that one. Bought a telescope off ebay and had a look for the flag and other remnants of their landing. I found nothing.

The chinese landing also claimed their was no flag or other signs of a moon landing. I didnt find any traces of the Chinese landing either though.

Maybe its because we had trouble actually finding the moon on the telescope? Full moon (not a supermoon) but large and clear enough yet we struggled to find it

So i am doubting the moon actually exists so you cannot land on something that doesnt exist.
    Should i start on the earth being flat now?

Originally posted by forgotmyname
    You won't be able to see the flag even if you knew where to look, after decades of exposure to the elements (for want of a better word) it's bleached white now so would be almost impossible to see against the rock
    • waamo
    • By waamo 17th Mar 17, 10:47 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    waamo
    Given how fuel pricing seems to work wouldn't it be 11.9p?
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,794Posts Today

10,012Users online

Martin's Twitter