Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pjran
    • By pjran 14th Mar 17, 11:17 PM
    • 908Posts
    • 4,482Thanks
    pjran
    Red lily beetle
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:17 PM
    Red lily beetle 14th Mar 17 at 11:17 PM
    I love lilies but last year mine were eaten by the blessed lily beetles. I did pick off the ones I could see but there was so much damage they never flowered. You'ld think I would have learned a lesson from previous experience but I haven't! I've ordered loads from J Parkers an offer I couldn't resist which are due any day.

Please can you give me some advice on how to see all my new ones flower. In true money saving I would like a simple home remedy to clear the red beetles.
Page 1
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 15th Mar 17, 7:04 AM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 7,361 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:04 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:04 AM
    You can keep fine netting over pots until plants are ready to flower. Some sprays can help. Use clean new soil each year and, if you are male and colourblind, allow spotting and crushing duties to fall to your better half!

I don't have a good solution really.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 15th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    We had a similar problem and I used Provado Ultimate Bug killer - not an action that everyone might agree to do .........but it did solve the problem
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 15th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 6,337 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    I had the same problem last year. I've moved them into pots on the patio this year and have the above recommended bug killer ready for use!
    They looked pretty grotty for a long time after flowering last summer so I'm thinking that I can move them to a secluded part of the garden to die down this year.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • madjackslam
    • By madjackslam 15th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    madjackslam
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    Grow in pots and do a (if possible) daily check, particularly early morning I find good. If you see beetles on leaves, hold one hand beneath them, then knock them off with the other hand - if they fall to the ground they turn upside down for a bit and can be difficult to find. Then squash them. Check under the leaves for any eggs laid, and then for the larvae. These are disgusting as they hide in their own faeces. But wipe them off, chuck them on the ground (patio slabs are good) and squash them.
    Vigilance is your watchword!
    • ljonski
    • By ljonski 15th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 3,216 Posts
    • 3,338 Thanks
    ljonski
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    It is the larvae that do the real damage. everyday look for them, and squeeze in between your fingers. Sometimes you can get 2 at once when copulating. When born search for brown slime and drown.
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
    • malebolge
    • By malebolge 15th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    malebolge
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    I'm not a huge lover of pesticides, but I have used Provado, which Alfrescodave recommended after 3 beautiful tree lilies were reduced to sludge by the damned larvae. I grow in tubs but still am plagued by the little red devils.
    2 points to remember - firstly, don't use a pesticide when the lilies are in flower because it might kill good pollinating insects.
    Also, lilies are very poisonous to cats. I only have them at the front garden now, as I have a ragdoll cat, and never have cut lilies in the house.
    Finally, the RHS are compiling information on lily beetles, and have a short form that you can report sightings of them: http://apps.rhs.org.uk/surveys/submitrecord.asp?type=6
    Last edited by malebolge; 15-03-2017 at 2:23 PM.
    • Justagardener
    • By Justagardener 16th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Justagardener
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    A little known fact: Lily beetles squeak quite loudly when under stress...so some gardeners find it quite difficult to squash them ! They are easy to capture or scrape into a jar and release in an unpopulated area.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 18th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    chesky
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    The good thing about lily beetles is that they're such a bright red, you can't fail to see them on the leaves. Follow Madjack's advice and check daily.
    • pjran
    • By pjran 21st Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 4,482 Thanks
    pjran
    Thank you to all who replied.

32 planted in various pots, only 8 to find homes for now. I'm hoping someone can suggest a homemade solution to kill these little blighters if not I will buy the Provado bug spray.
    • madjackslam
    • By madjackslam 22nd Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    madjackslam
    A little known fact: Lily beetles squeak quite loudly when under stress...so some gardeners find it quite difficult to squash them ! They are easy to capture or scrape into a jar and release in an unpopulated area.
    I've squashed a lot of lily beetles and I've never heard them make a noise - maybe we have a non-squeaking strain round here. ***Thinks about torturing the next lily beetle to see if it will make a noise. Tempting, but decides against it.***
    • Justagardener
    • By Justagardener 22nd Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Justagardener
    I've squashed a lot of lily beetles and I've never heard them make a noise - maybe we have a non-squeaking strain round here. ***Thinks about torturing the next lily beetle to see if it will make a noise. Tempting, but decides against it.***
    You may need your ear defenders for this poor lily beetle in Guantanamo bay
    https://youtu.be/mnMwbBgV_D4
    • madjackslam
    • By madjackslam 19th Jun 17, 8:47 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    madjackslam
    OK, tempting fate here, but has anyone else noticed that there are fewer lily beetles around this year? In fact, I've yet to see one, and my lilies will start flowering any day. Usually by this time I've been tapping and squishing for weeks.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 6,235 Thanks
    Farway
    Plenty here you can borrow if you are a bit short of them
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 19th Jun 17, 11:51 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,609 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Originally posted by Justagardener

Don't you dare do that. The Lily Beetle is not an indigenous UK species and releasing it falls foul of the law, especially as people doing that could potentially be responsible for the extinction of native British Fritillaries.
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 20-06-2017 at 5:19 PM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 20th Jun 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 6,337 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    OK, tempting fate here, but has anyone else noticed that there are fewer lily beetles around this year? In fact, I've yet to see one, and my lilies will start flowering any day. Usually by this time I've been tapping and squishing for weeks.
    Originally posted by madjackslam
    Fingers crossed here too, madjackslam! I planted mine in a tub by the back door this year so that I could keep an eye on them. The first one has flowered this morning and as yet... (I did give them a spray with provado at the first sign of a nibble early in the season so maybe that helped)
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • olliebears
    • By olliebears 26th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    olliebears
    Just a point, I spray my lilies as soon as they sprout and once every ten days with......WD40 under the leaves where the eggs are laid and larvae hide. Eggs soak up the oil and tend not to hatch. Adults don't like the oily surface and I get lovely lilies. Though fewer beetles about this year anyway. Be aware it's not just lilies they eat!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 27th Jun 17, 1:55 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 6,235 Thanks
    Farway
    Just a point, I spray my lilies as soon as they sprout and once every ten days with......WD40 under the leaves where the eggs are laid and larvae hide.
    Originally posted by olliebears
    I bet they are rust free as well
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 27th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 6,337 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Fingers crossed here too, madjackslam! I planted mine in a tub by the back door this year so that I could keep an eye on them. The first one has flowered this morning and as yet... (I did give them a spray with provado at the first sign of a nibble early in the season so maybe that helped)
    Originally posted by Eenymeeny
    Like the rust-free comment, maybe I should be using it on some other plants!
    Just thought that I'd update on my lily experiment. They've been absolutely beautiful this year. I don't know if that's down to the early spray of Provado thanks to the recommendation on this thread or maybe as someone else said, there are less of them this year? (I haven't seen one!)
    The only disappointment was that I discovered them blown over a couple of days ago due to strong winds and being a bit top-heavy. They are now weighed down by a paving slab on the back of them... Will learn lessons for next year
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,034Posts Today

8,867Users online

Martin's Twitter