Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 14th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 13,397Posts
    • 52,536Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    Afternoon Tea in London
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    Afternoon Tea in London 14th Mar 17 at 10:25 PM
    Can anyone suggest somewhere nice or different I could get a voucher or book for afternoon tea in London please? Somewhere that is not extortionately expensive. I don't know what to get the Oldies for their birthdays and they don't know what they want either. So as they've got a weekend bus trip to London at the end of April I wonder if I could get something sorted for them on the Saturday they are there.

Edit to add, preferably somewhere close to the Thames.
    Last edited by Mrs Bones; 14-03-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
Page 2
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 20th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 7,594 Posts
    • 30,663 Thanks
    Flick216
    What's the budget?

I enjoyed high tea at Fortnum & Mason a few weeks back for a friends bithday. It cost £49 just for my portion but it was so nice & filling - I did have a lobster & truffle omelette.

Last year I had afternoon tea on a boat that sailed along the Thames, pity the weather was awful that day. That was around £30 per person & wasn't great. I prefer high tea (light meal) as suppose to just sandwiches where you don't get choice in filling.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    I have done Afternoon Tea at Fortnum & Mason - it was fabulous - well worth the money. I am pretty sure they have options to suit your budget.
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 21st Mar 17, 3:50 PM
    • 13,039 Posts
    • 228,708 Thanks
    mattytun
    Lots of offers here:
    www.afternoontea.co.uk/index.php…
    The offer at the Cavendish is a bit of a bargain. Another worth trying is the Wolseley,
    http://www.thewolseley.com/afternoon-tea
    Last edited by mattytun; 21-03-2017 at 3:57 PM.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 21st Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 13,397 Posts
    • 52,536 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    How about the Houses of Parliament. You can book a tour and then afternoon tea. I haven't tried the afternoon tea part, but we did one of the tours last year and it was absolutely brilliant. It lasted about 90 minutes and we got to go into chambers and all sorts of other rooms as well. What a fascinating building.
    Originally posted by bap98189
    I'd enjoy that and I know my dad would but I also know his partner would hate it as she just isn't interested in anything to do with history, heritage or politics. As it's going to be a joint birthday gift, I need something they'll both be happy with.

I have done Afternoon Tea at Fortnum & Mason - it was fabulous - well worth the money. I am pretty sure they have options to suit your budget.
    Originally posted by Flick216
    My dad's partner would no doubt enjoy that one but I think my dad wants to steer her away from shops. He won't be happy spending his weekend shopping.

I reckon I'm going to go with this one but not fully made my mind up yet, I'm still comparing. I've been looking at various river trips since I've found that some boats do meals etc. and this one seems to get good reviews.

https://www.bateauxlondon.com/

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've wrote them down for future occasions.
    Save
    Last edited by Mrs Bones; 21-03-2017 at 4:18 PM.
    “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 21st Mar 17, 4:20 PM
    • 13,039 Posts
    • 228,708 Thanks
    mattytun
    I'd enjoy that and I know my dad would but I also know his partner would hate it as she just isn't interested in anything to do with history, heritage or politics. As it's going to be a joint birthday gift, I need something they'll both be happy with.

My dad's partner would no doubt enjoy that one but I think my dad wants to steer her away from shops. He won't be happy spending his weekend shopping.

I reckon I'm going to go with this one but not fully made my mind up yet, I'm still comparing. I've been looking at various river trips since I've found that some boats do meals etc. and this one seems to get good reviews.

https://www.bateauxlondon.com/

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've wrote them down for future occasions.
    Save
    Originally posted by Mrs Bones
    Good choice it will be very nice enjoy.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 21st Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 8,035 Posts
    • 10,023 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Mrs Bones that looks like a good choice. I only hope that it is not too crowded on the day.
    But that is me - I hate too many people around when I am eating, it's the noise.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 23rd Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 13,243 Posts
    • 25,241 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Try the Maids of Honour in Kew.

https://theoriginalmaidsofhonour.co.uk/pages/restaurant
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 24th Mar 17, 6:07 AM
    • 27,418 Posts
    • 99,727 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I used to work near there, and at that tea rooms I first tried Maids of Honour tarts.

So I decided to try and make them from scratch.

It took ages and ages and ages!

I never bothered again, just went to the tea rooms and bought them ready-made!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,955Posts Today

8,471Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin