Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 14th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 13,395Posts
    • 52,525Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    Afternoon Tea in London
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    Afternoon Tea in London 14th Mar 17 at 10:25 PM
    Can anyone suggest somewhere nice or different I could get a voucher or book for afternoon tea in London please? Somewhere that is not extortionately expensive. I don't know what to get the Oldies for their birthdays and they don't know what they want either. So as they've got a weekend bus trip to London at the end of April I wonder if I could get something sorted for them on the Saturday they are there.

Edit to add, preferably somewhere close to the Thames.
    Last edited by Mrs Bones; 14-03-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
Page 1
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 14th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 2,471 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    What's the budget?

I enjoyed high tea at Fortnum & Mason a few weeks back for a friends bithday. It cost £49 just for my portion but it was so nice & filling - I did have a lobster & truffle omelette.

Last year I had afternoon tea on a boat that sailed along the Thames, pity the weather was awful that day. That was around £30 per person & wasn't great. I prefer high tea (light meal) as suppose to just sandwiches where you don't get choice in filling.
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 14th Mar 17, 11:32 PM
    • 13,395 Posts
    • 52,525 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:32 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:32 PM
    What's the budget?

I enjoyed high tea at Fortnum & Mason a few weeks back for a friends bithday. It cost £49 just for my portion but it was so nice & filling - I did have a lobster & truffle omelette.

Last year I had afternoon tea on a boat that sailed along the Thames, pity the weather was awful that day. That was around £30 per person & wasn't great. I prefer high tea (light meal) as suppose to just sandwiches where you don't get choice in filling.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    Budget preferably around £80 or less for two people, possibly stretch to £100, I know London prices are expensive.

I'm thinking somewhere around the river as I know they are hoping to go on a boat trip on the Saturday, they love boat trips where ever they go. So I'm hoping for something close by so the can do both. The coach trip their going on includes seeing a show Friday night and they come back Sunday so it's only Saturday they have a free day.
    “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 14th Mar 17, 11:55 PM
    • 7,719 Posts
    • 9,531 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:55 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:55 PM
    http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/uk/london/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/articles/Londons-ten-best-afternoon-teas/

http://www.lastminute.com/experiences/afternoon-tea.html

http://www.citycruises.com/london-thames-experiences/afternoon-tea-cruise

I have done the tea cruise, it is wonderful.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Mar 17, 11:56 PM
    • 22,543 Posts
    • 86,073 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:56 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:56 PM
    How about a tea on the My Fair Lady canal boat?

http://www.walkersquay.com/mfl_menus.html#mid

Only ever been on the Jenny Wren myself, but I think they'd love it. Not sure whether it's restricted to certain days or times. If not, bet they'd enjoy a Jenny Wren trip and then go somewhere else.
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 14-03-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • tommix
    • By tommix 15th Mar 17, 12:05 AM
    • 35,064 Posts
    • 141,369 Thanks
    tommix
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:05 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:05 AM
    Cynthia and I often take Tea at the Savoy which of course overlooks the Thames..
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 15th Mar 17, 12:28 AM
    • 13,395 Posts
    • 52,525 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:28 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:28 AM
    I'd not thought about tea on a boat, I think they'd really enjoy that. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look through them.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 15th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 5,240 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    I think i'll call you Posh_tipsntreats from now on.

I'm more of a Joe Lyons Tea Shop bod.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 15-03-2017 at 9:57 AM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 27,216 Posts
    • 98,892 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    I've been to the Waldorf a few times near the Aldwych, so not far from the Thames.

They also do Tea-Dances, which are frequented by people of all ages. They're great fun.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 27,216 Posts
    • 98,892 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Cynthia and I often take Tea at the Savoy which of course overlooks the Thames..
    Originally posted by tommix
    Cynthia and Tommix! Get back to the kitchens! What do you think you're doing up here!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 15th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 18,204 Posts
    • 41,638 Thanks
    peachyprice
    The Library Lounge at the Marriott County Hall.

It's lovely in there, very relaxed and overlooking the Thames, HoP and London Eye. They do free flowing bubbles, they say for 1.5 hours, but if you go later, say 2pm they will usually carry on until 5pm. They also top up the food and tea. £39 midweek, £41 weekends. We usually go in February for our birthatinesversary celebration!

http://www.bookatable.co.uk/afternoon-tea-at-the-library-lounge-south-bank-london
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • makingplans4nigel
    • By makingplans4nigel 16th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    makingplans4nigel
    The Library Lounge at the Marriott County Hall.

It's lovely in there, very relaxed and overlooking the Thames, HoP and London Eye. They do free flowing bubbles, they say for 1.5 hours, but if you go later, say 2pm they will usually carry on until 5pm. They also top up the food and tea. £39 midweek, £41 weekends. We usually go in February for our birthatinesversary celebration!

http://www.bookatable.co.uk/afternoon-tea-at-the-library-lounge-south-bank-london
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Yep definitely recommend this too. Great views and decent price for champagne topups.
    Come on sucker lick my battery
    • makingplans4nigel
    • By makingplans4nigel 16th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    makingplans4nigel
    There's some good deals on groupon right now. Altitude 360 in Millbank Tower and Vertigo 42 in Tower 42 both have deals and good views.
    Come on sucker lick my battery
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 16th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    My go-to is one on the Virgin Experience site; £39.50 for 2 people at (in my case) The Courthouse Hotel opposite Liberty's. Also got my aunty one for her 60th (for her and my uncle) at a posh hotel in Harrogate. OK you get the voucher and have to ring up and book but it's not much hassle.
    PAYDBX 2017 #71 £1194.54 / £3053.49 * Xmas 2017 #8 £217 / £365 * (2016 £424.32 / £366)
    * SPCNo.10 #66 (SPCNo.9 £442.64 inc Quidco to 2/11/16 £138.92 *
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 16th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    bap98189
    How about the Houses of Parliament. You can book a tour and then afternoon tea. I haven't tried the afternoon tea part, but we did one of the tours last year and it was absolutely brilliant. It lasted about 90 minutes and we got to go into chambers and all sorts of other rooms as well. What a fascinating building.
    • tensandunits
    • By tensandunits 16th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    tensandunits
    Originally posted by tommix
    Claridges for me. £60-80 per person and don't forget the obligatory 12.5% tip.

And none of the riff-raff
    Dress Code: Elegant smart casual; no shorts, vests, sportswear, flip flops, ripped jeans or baseball caps.
    http://www.claridges.co.uk/mayfair-restaurants-bars/london-afternoon-tea/
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 17th Mar 17, 11:33 PM
    • 14,493 Posts
    • 124,656 Thanks
    zagubov
    There's more suggestions in this thread and others in the holidays in the UK subforum
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • tommix
    • By tommix 18th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 35,064 Posts
    • 141,369 Thanks
    tommix
    Claridges for me. £60-80 per person and don't forget the obligatory 12.5% tip.

And none of the riff-raff

http://www.claridges.co.uk/mayfair-restaurants-bars/london-afternoon-tea/
    Originally posted by tensandunits
    Yes I go to Claridges when I'm slumming it..It is very oppulent and I appreciate that..

However the Tea they serve is harvested by 'Berkshire Vicars' as opposed to 'Peruvian Monks' which Imo affects the quality of Tea Leaf.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 18th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 13,001 Posts
    • 11,073 Thanks
    paddyrg
    Something a little different - HMS Belfast has a cafe either on the boat or on the jetty thing. Views of The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, City Hall. Mix things up
    • catkins
    • By catkins 20th Mar 17, 9:11 AM
    • 5,380 Posts
    • 11,216 Thanks
    catkins
    Well it's not near to the river but if they like cats what about Lady Dinah's Tea Emporium? I know a few people who have been there and me and OH are going next month.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,855Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin