Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • t-mids
    • By t-mids 14th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 4Thanks
    t-mids
    'Forced' work from Job Center.
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    'Forced' work from Job Center. 14th Mar 17 at 9:57 PM
    I have been signed on since Dec 2016 (only receive JSA) and today was my appointment and the lady told me that I have to attend an actual job, which is full time hours for 8 weeks but no pay. She said I have to take this as the government is forcing people to do this. I honestly would not mind doing this job, however not for free.

Is this right? I really do not want to work for anybody for free. I have heard of the work programme but this does not sound like it. I don't even know the title of this program as she said she could not show me any information on it as her computer was not working at the moment. She just written down an address and phone number and told me to go there.

I hope this is in the right forum also.
Page 3
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    This thread has made me smile. My first thought was your getting paid to do nothing at the minute and you are happy with that, but you are not happy to work and get paid less than NMW.

But as I read more replies, I thought about it a little more. I can not remember how much I have paid in Tax, NI, Council tax, corporation tax, tax on goods, fuel, stamp duty etc etc and I would be a bit peeved if someone told me I had to go and work for free (or £2 an hour).

But then I kept coming back to the same thing, last month I was quite ill - nothing serious just a pretty bad cold. I was too tired to go out, but by the 3rd day I was THAT bored I just went for a walk to the end of the road and back (20 minutes!) just to get out of the house. I hate doing nothing, if my options were JSA and sitting at home or JSA and working for free, I would chose the latter every time. If nothing else it gets me out of the house, it goes on my CV and I might end up meeting new people or getting a job at the end of it.

Im not going to judge (not that you would care anyway hopefully), but maybe look at the bigger picture rather than just the next 2 months. As the old saying goes, it is easier to get a job if you have one.
    Originally posted by ACG
    When I was on JSA I wasn't sitting at home doing nothing! I was applying for jobs every single day, I was volunteering, I took some courses. I would have been rather peeved to have had to stop doing my productive, job hunting activities to go and provide free labour for an employer that should be taking people on if it has work that needs doing!

From what I understand, these 'work placements' are hardly ever at places where useful skills can be gained or that would enhance most CVs. I think they are only ever remotely useful for people who have literally never worked and need to be able to demonstrate that they can turn up on time each day and follow basic instructions. Even people in that situation though should be paid the NMW for their work.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 15th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 4,616 Posts
    • 3,760 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Idiotic post to say the least, you assume everyone has savings and also assume that those that do can make them last until they find a job. Idiot.
    Originally posted by paddedjohn
    Why is it idiotic to want to support yourself? At least I wouldn't be costing the taxpayer any money. Benefits should be there as a safety net for those who really need the help, not an automatic right.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Mar 17, 8:15 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Sure - so people who work have to scrape and save and people who NEVER worked can enjoy their Jeremy Kyle... sure...
    Originally posted by gettingready
    I think that people who have never worked are much rarer than things like Jeremy Kyle and the Daily Mail would have us believe.
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 15th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 6,958 Posts
    • 7,634 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    Why is it idiotic to want to support yourself? At least I wouldn't be costing the taxpayer any money. Benefits should be there as a safety net for those who really need the help, not an automatic right.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    Agreed that benefits should be a safety net but you assume that everyone has savings that they can use while looking for a job. Many people can't afford to save.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • invisibility
    • By invisibility 15th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    invisibility
    This 'holier than thou' attitude when it comes to whether you would claim benefits/live off savings is awful.

The whole point of benefits is so that you don't have to save up for a safety net in case you were out of work. Of course, many do, but you shouldn't HAVE to use your savings for that.

You have the right to claim JSA if you have less than £16,000 in savings. Could someone who has £15,000 afford to live off their savings for a while? Yes. But that's besides the point. I wouldn't judge them for claiming JSA at all. I'd want to protect my savings too.
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 15th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    Londonsu
    This 'holier than thou' attitude when it comes to whether you would claim benefits/live off savings is awful.

The whole point of benefits is so that you don't have to save up for a safety net in case you were out of work. Of course, many do, but you shouldn't HAVE to use your savings for that.

You have the right to claim JSA if you have less than £16,000 in savings. Could someone who has £15,000 afford to live off their savings for a while? Yes. But that's besides the point. I wouldn't judge them for claiming JSA at all. I'd want to protect my savings too.
    Originally posted by invisibility

Sorry that's not strictly true for income based JSA you can only claim the full amount if you have less then 6k in savings anything above 6k you lose £1 a week for every £250 over £6k. Over 16k - you get nothing. Also if you have a partner/spouse you would not be entitled to claim IB JSA if their income is more than the government says a working age couple need to live on and that's £114.85

Whether you want to protect your savings is neither here nor there if your savings take you over the IB JSA limit, you don't get the choice, you don't qualify
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 15th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 4,616 Posts
    • 3,760 Thanks
    Doshwaster

Surely the whole point in saving is that you have some rainy day money for unexpected events and emergencies. It doesn't get much rainier than being out of work.

So if you had £15,000 in the bank you think that the taxpayer should pay your living expenses - including paying your rent/mortgage - so that you didn't have to touch your savings?
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 1,589 Thanks
    takman
    Sure - so people who work have to scrape and save and people who NEVER worked can enjoy their Jeremy Kyle... sure...
    Originally posted by gettingready
    It's not difficult to save money when your working. The problem is that people find a way to spend every penny they have without thinking. If people spent a little bit of time getting the best deal on everything they buy they will be able to save money easily.
    • randomfandom
    • By randomfandom 15th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    randomfandom
    I despair of people who are so judgemental of those who need to sign on.
    Many of us are actually much closer to having to having to rely on benefits than we'd care to think; redundancy, debilitating illness or an accident is all it takes to turn someone's life upside down and once you're on the floor, it can be very difficult to get back on your feet again, as much as you may desperately want to.

As for mandatory Jobcentre schemes, they're a waste of time and money, which is why the government scrapped them some time ago. The only people who benefited were the programme providers who were paid millions of pounds of tax payers money and yet failed miserably to help the vast majority of unemployed people back in to work.

If people are going to be angry about anything they should be railing against the government who were happy to waste money - money we're constantly told is in short supply - on schemes and programmes for which there was never any evidence that they would be effective.
    Last edited by randomfandom; 16-03-2017 at 7:46 PM.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 16th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    op hows it going?
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 16th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    stuart30
    What about prostitution as a way of making a living..cant be that hard,yes ok some late nights involved and the odd STI or is it STD,but then come on weve all had them haven't we so no biggie there...lol

And lets be honest there's some right old dogs walking the streets..some have hardly any teeth..suppose thats snogging out of the question.

Must remeber to call me Nanna tomorrow..think her money worries will be over soon.
    Save the wear and tear on your keyboard and don't waste your time correcting my spelling or Grammar...
    • Vectis
    • By Vectis 17th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Vectis
    When I was on JSA I wasn't sitting at home doing nothing! I was applying for jobs every single day, I was volunteering, I took some courses. I would have been rather peeved to have had to stop doing my productive, job hunting activities to go and provide free labour for an employer that should be taking people on if it has work that needs doing!...
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

Fair points about you spending your time applying for jobs etc but, unfortunately, that wasn't the reason the op gave for not wanting to take this work experience post. It was because he/she thought they would be 'working for free' and not because it would curtail their efforts at finding work.

...I have to attend an actual job...
    Originally posted by t-mids
    ...but no pay...
    ...I honestly would not mind doing this job, however not for free...
    ...I really do not want to work for anybody for free...

On a slightly different note, I wish some others would take their personal arguments off the general message board and perhaps use personal messaging if they want to continue them. It's boring listening to two people having a spat in public.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,527Users online

Martin's Twitter