Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shoe*gal
    • By shoe*gal 14th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,423Posts
    • 1,367Thanks
    shoe*gal
    Parking a caravan on an unadopted/shared access road
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    Parking a caravan on an unadopted/shared access road 14th Mar 17 at 9:09 PM
    I've looked everywhere and can't find an answer to this. We bought a new build recently and it's in our deeds that no one can park a caravan or company van on their driveways. Our neighbour waited until the last house was sold then appeared with a huge caravan. They have a double garage and driveway which they know they can't park their caravan on. There are five houses with a private/shared ownership block paved access road and a turning area at the end. The caravan is parked in the turning area. They have also helped themselves to the grass area betweeen the access road and the main road putting up a boundary with lighting. While it doesn't affect me (despite it being an eyesore and perhaps tempting other neighbours to park their caravans outside their houses making our small estate look a bit grim) I'm curious as to what the law is. It's not parked on their drive so doesn't go against the covenant in the deeds. It's not parked on a public/adopted road so doesn't break any law on that. It's not blocking access although it means no one can turn around and delivery vans have to reverse out. I've done some reading and can't find an answer - it's quite intriguing. If anyone knows whether it's perfectly fine to park there or not I'd be interested to know.
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 14th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    Looks like they've found a loophole.
    • shoe*gal
    • By shoe*gal 14th Mar 17, 9:28 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    shoe*gal
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:28 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:28 PM
    Looks like they've found a loophole.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    That's what I thought - that he's been very sneaky and very clever and found a loophole. One of his neighbours isn't a happy bunny though as the five houses are equally liable for repairs to the road which now has a huge caravan dumped on it.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 60,742 Posts
    • 355,035 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    *sighs*
    Why is there ALWAYS one???

What an 4ss.
    • shoe*gal
    • By shoe*gal 14th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    shoe*gal
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    *sighs*
    Why is there ALWAYS one???

What an 4ss.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    One of what? A nosey old trout . The list of what we can't do is huge and I'd like a fence and gate if it's a free for all.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 15th Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 4,293 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    That's what I thought - that he's been very sneaky and very clever and found a loophole. One of his neighbours isn't a happy bunny though as the five houses are equally liable for repairs to the road which now has a huge caravan dumped on it.
    Originally posted by shoe*gal
    How would a caravan, which would be immobile most of the time, cause any damage to the road?
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 15th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    Sounds like one of those god awful streets where nobody is allowed any individuality and cannot even plant stuff in their front garden.

A friend bought such a place, he actually has instruction to mow the front lawn so that it has lines at 90 degrees to the road and it has to be done at least once a week between certain dates. I'm fairly certain there was something about keeping ones car clean too.
    Last edited by Strider590; 15-03-2017 at 8:28 AM.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 6,333 Posts
    • 5,097 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    If the properties and unadopted road have a freeholder it might be worth contacting them about the land grab and blocking the turning point.
    The turning point may be a planning requirement put in place to avoid vehicles reversing onto an adjoining road. Check the planning application.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • craig1123
    • By craig1123 15th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    craig1123
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    Would the caravan restrict access for an ambulance or fire engine?
    • shoe*gal
    • By shoe*gal 15th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    shoe*gal
    How would a caravan, which would be immobile most of the time, cause any damage to the road?
    Originally posted by usefulmale
    According to the neighbour it's already clipped the edge of the blocked paving and damaged the bricks.
    • dannyrst
    • By dannyrst 15th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    dannyrst
    I'm buying what sounds like a similar new build property shortly, cul-de-sac with 7 houses on the street and I am buying one of the end houses.

Fortunately for me, the short road that the houses are on is shared out between the homeowners, so I will own half the road infront of my house, so any caravan that parks there is parked on my land.
    • shoe*gal
    • By shoe*gal 15th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    shoe*gal
    Sounds like one of those god awful streets where nobody is allowed any individuality and cannot even plant stuff in their front garden.

A friend bought such a place, he actually has instruction to mow the front lawn so that it has lines at 90 degrees to the road and it has to be done at least once a week between certain dates. I'm fairly certain there was something about keeping ones car clean too.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    It's not that bad - my car is filthy and will stay that way until its service next week. I have no intention of cleaning it .

The deeds state things like a shed can't be visible from the main road, trees and bushes can't be above a certain height, you need permission to build a conservatory, nothing can be added to the property that is not in keeping with the rest of the estate, nothing can be added before the road is adopted such as a fence, you can't have a satellite dish on the front of the house etc. It's one of those small estates with the upgraded everything to differentiate it from the main estate further along by the same builder and an excuse to charge more. We got a stonking price on it because the previous buyers pulled out with financial issues and it was the last unsold house. Even our previous 20 year old house had ridiculous clauses such as trees couldn't be higher than 2 feet (!) even though the builder planted them and you couldn't have a visible conservatory or shed.
    • shoe*gal
    • By shoe*gal 15th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    shoe*gal
    Would the caravan restrict access for an ambulance or fire engine?
    Originally posted by craig1123
    Only to their house I suppose. They'd just have to reverse out onto the main estate rather than turning round. The binmen don't go up there anymore because they struggle to reverse out again.

It's on land that's shared ownership between the five houses and each is liable for a fifth of the overall cost of repairs or maintenance. Any one of them can park on it. I'm just really interested as to whether he's found a cheat to go against the rules set out by the builders. We have - we have a Sky dish where it can't be seen by other properties despite the deeds saying no dish on the front of the house or visible from the road. It's meant to be Virgin only.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 15th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Car 54
    I have a vague recollection that there's something in planning regs that may help, but don't have the time to research it at the mo.

I believe a caravan that is stationary longer than a certain period (28 days?) is regarded as a structure, and so requires planning consent.

If you can establish that this is indeed the case, then report the owner to the council.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 15th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    cajef
    I would think contacting the builders assuming they are the people that placed the restrictions in the deeds and asking them whether this neighbour is in breach of any planning restrictions would be your first port of call.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    takman
    Originally posted by shoe*gal

Then they should be happy about it because the caravan will stop all the vehicles using that part of the road to turn around so will reduce the amount and cost of repairs that it needs.!.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 15th Mar 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 2,271 Thanks
    Jackmydad

Originally posted by Strider590
    Where was that? Stepford?
    But seriously? You couldn't make it up. I didn't realise things had got that silly.
    Mind you I had a couple of neighbours at one time who thought I should be like that. They were disappointed I'm afraid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

3,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin