Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Becki1989
    • By Becki1989 14th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Becki1989
    Engine management light came on for 2 minutes then went off. Audi A1
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    Engine management light came on for 2 minutes then went off. Audi A1 14th Mar 17 at 8:59 PM
    Hello,

I have a 13 plate Audi A1, 1.6 diesel, 19,500 miles.

On Friday morning (it is now following Tuesday evening), I was driving to work and my car cut out whilst turning a corner. It struggled to restart but eventually did. I kept an eye over the weekend and it seemed fine.

Monday evening driving home from work, the engine management light started flashing 2 minutes from home. I stopped at home, locked and restarted the car and it didn't come back on. After reading some posts on the Internet regarding short trips and diesels, I took it on the motorway for 20 mins at 60-70mph and filled my almost empty tank with the more premium diesel.

The light hasn't come back on since yesterday after work. Because the light is no longer on, does this mean it has sorted itself out? I am just worried that I could be causing more damage to my car but don't want to pay the 50 to have it scanned if it's probably ok!

Thank you for your advice! I'm a bit of a novice with this subject.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 24,982 Posts
    • 9,909 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    Buy yourself a code reader or get a garage to check the codes.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Becki1989
    • By Becki1989 14th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Becki1989
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    I have contacted audi and they were going to charge me 120 to check and then I rang halfords and they said 50. Do local garages do it for free? Or at least cheaper?!
    • shoe*gal
    • By shoe*gal 14th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    shoe*gal
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    I may be telling you something daft but my 2.0d A3 had a fault where it just cut out at low speeds. No warning and no stalling - it would just die. I took it to Audi under warranty. They said it was a faulty ignition switch and replaced it. It never happened again. If it's going to cut out it's best to get the fault codes read just in case. We have a code reader which then involves a lot of googling but then if it's an issue it needs to go to a garage anyway. I had my current car checked at a local garage for 25 - BMW wanted in excess of 90 just to diagnose.
    • shoe*gal
    • By shoe*gal 14th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    shoe*gal
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    I have contacted audi and they were going to charge me 120 to check and then I rang halfords and they said 50. Do local garages do it for free? Or at least cheaper?!
    Originally posted by Becki1989
    I use a local performance garage who uses the same parts as main dealers but his labour costs are way lower. He was 60 less than BMW to check my engine fault. Probably a third cheaper for the work as well.
    • Becki1989
    • By Becki1989 14th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Becki1989
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    Thank you, I'm going to try and get in at the weekend as I can't stop thinking about it doing it again! I bought an audi because I thought they were reliable... I'm starting to think otherwise
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    waamo
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    Your mileage seems way too low for a diesel. Does it get long runs to clear the DPF?

Any diesel, no matter what make, can suffer with lots of short runs.
    This space for hire.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 13,969 Posts
    • 12,369 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    Your mileage seems way too low for a diesel. Does it get long runs to clear the DPF?

Any diesel, no matter what make, can suffer with lots of short runs.
    Originally posted by waamo
    <nods>
    4yo car, <20k miles... DEFINITELY going to have DPF problems sooner or later, unless you've only recently bought it, and are stacking the miles on much faster than the previous keeper.
    • liltzero
    • By liltzero 14th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    liltzero
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it. Audi cars are one of the most reliable car manufacturers out there (up there with the likes of Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen).

If the light has gone off it means the ECU does not detect any problems. Don't sweat over it.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 14th Mar 17, 10:11 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I wouldn't worry about it. Audi cars are one of the most reliable car manufacturers out there (up there with the likes of Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen).

If the light has gone off it means the ECU does not detect any problems. Don't sweat over it.
    Originally posted by liltzero
    You missed Lexus, they always do well on reliability.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 14th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 2,180 Thanks
    Mr.Generous

Originally posted by liltzero
    Unfortunately thats not quite right. Anyone with a code reader will tell you cars have actual faults, stored faults (it will show how many miles and how many restarts since fault occurred) and also pending faults.

Try an online Audi forum, someone local will offer to read your codes. I have PCM scan software that is excellent, well worth the money.
    • shoe*gal
    • By shoe*gal 14th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    shoe*gal
    Thank you, I'm going to try and get in at the weekend as I can't stop thinking about it doing it again! I bought an audi because I thought they were reliable... I'm starting to think otherwise
    Originally posted by Becki1989
    They said the ignition switch was a common fault on my model. I traded it in for a petrol when the DPF started playing up. I don't do long enough runs for a diesel. I had barely any problems with the Audi compared to other cars I've had. You'll be fine - every car has the off problem.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Mar 17, 10:30 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    waamo
    They said the ignition switch was a common fault on my model. I traded it in for a petrol when the DPF started playing up. I don't do long enough runs for a diesel. I had barely any problems with the Audi compared to other cars I've had. You'll be fine - every car has the off problem.
    Originally posted by shoe*gal
    Agreed. I've currently got 3. All petrol though. I wouldn't have a diesel and I do over 20k miles a year. I have to say reliability has been great.
    This space for hire.
    • mrmot
    • By mrmot 15th Mar 17, 4:16 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    mrmot
    The light has come on because the engine management system detected a fault, the fault could be absolutely anything with the system and not necessarily related to the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

The DPF will have it's own separate warning light and should give you a fair warning that you need to regenerate it, if it is ignored it will log the fault as more serious, put more warning lights on and eventually restrict engine performance.

The fact that the light went out on its own is good, it means that the fault occurred maybe once and after so many engine starting/running cycles it hasn't occurred again. A fault code should be still stored in the ECU and with the correct diagnosis equipment such as VCDS it should record the fault frequency/time and some data with it - engine/road speed, vehicle voltage etc - this will help in finding the cause.

You say that it happened when steering the car, the A1 has a steering system that is electrically powered and it can consume high currents up to 60 amps, this can place a momentary load on the battery which after 4 years it may not be at it's best, which could cause voltage drops to the sensors on the engine.
    • Becki1989
    • By Becki1989 15th Mar 17, 6:24 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Becki1989
    I bought the car a year ago with only 13,000 miles on it. I don't drive it enough at all and wish the garage dealer had warned me of this when I bought it because I didn't know this was an issue!! Thinking about trading it in for a petrol, just don't want to lose money on it !
    • Becki1989
    • By Becki1989 15th Mar 17, 6:27 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Becki1989
    I do sometimes have a different light come on for the DPF and try to give it a good run when it comes on. Think I might seriously consider swapping it. Love my car though!!
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 15th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 858 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    Make sure you have enough diesel in the tank in future.
    • Becki1989
    • By Becki1989 15th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Becki1989
    It wasn't on red? Does it need to have more than that in even? I can make sure it is topped up if that will help...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,377Users online

Martin's Twitter