Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DirtyLion
    • By DirtyLion 14th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DirtyLion
    Should he take out a student loan or not?
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    Should he take out a student loan or not? 14th Mar 17 at 8:46 PM
    I have an 18 year old brother in law who lives with his mum, has no intention of moving out or even learning to drive. He received a large inheritance from his late father which sits in trust and his education fees can be paid from this and he occurs no living costs at all while at home.

His mum says he should take out a student loan despite having the money in trust and no financial outgoings, she sees it as free money and you can't lose. It seems odd to me that you'd want to have a debt when it's not necessary but according to her, Martin Lewis strongly recommends all students take out the loan whether they need it or not, is this true?

Could someone in the know please tell me whether a student loan would be a good idea or not given his situation?
Page 1
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 14th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    I have an 18 year old brother in law who lives with his mum, has no intention of moving out or even learning to drive. He received a large inheritance from his late father which sits in trust and his education fees can be paid from this and he occurs no living costs at all while at home.

His mum says he should take out a student loan despite having the money in trust and no financial outgoings, she sees it as free money and you can't lose. It seems odd to me that you'd want to have a debt when it's not necessary but according to her, Martin Lewis strongly recommends all students take out the loan whether they need it or not, is this true?

Could someone in the know please tell me whether a student loan would be a good idea or not given his situation?
    Originally posted by DirtyLion
    Yes max out the loan, forget it as it's not a debt in practice - it's a tax contribution set at 9% of earnings above a threshold for undergraduate loans and 6% of earnings above a threshold for postgraduate loans.

So for a good majority, the amount borrowed will be more than the amount actually paid back in contributions as the Government writes off any outstanding amount 30 years from the April after leaving the course.
    • venison
    • By venison 15th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    venison
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    And taking out the loan can mean access to "free" bursaries
    #WeStandTogether
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 20th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    Does your brother intend to get a job at some point? I know everyone says take out the loans, but if he doesn't need to, or doesn't intend to work, then it seems a bit immoral to me, as he will never repay it. I'll probably get hammed for saying this. LOL!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

298Posts Today

2,997Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin