Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thommo14
    • By Thommo14 14th Mar 17, 8:39 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Thommo14
    Provisional Driving License
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:39 PM
    Provisional Driving License 14th Mar 17 at 8:39 PM
    Hi there

I didn't realise my provisional driving license was still valid after all these years (1994).

As I don't actually have the piece of paper, I would like to order a replacement. Don't know if it's just me, but I'm finding the many options regarding this on the DVLA's website rather confusing.

I would like to apply online (as it appears to be cheaper), but I believe these licenses now include photo ID, so I'm not sure if this would be possible. I read somewhere about giving consent for them to use your passport photo, and I do have a passport, but it expired last September.

I might be rambling a bit here, but I would appreciate any info. Help!
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    If your passport expired you most likely won't be able to use the photo especially as photo driving licenses need the photo updating every 10 years.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 25,422 Posts
    • 10,083 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    You will need to update your passport first or send a photo with your licence.

You will probably need to get someone to sign your photo also. Solicitor or Doctor or someone in a profession but not family i think?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 14th Mar 17, 10:28 PM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 4,155 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:28 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:28 PM
    Last time I checked, if your passport was less than 5 years old, they could use that picture.
    As your passport photo is over 5 years old, you can't use it.
    • Barneyboyz336
    • By Barneyboyz336 17th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Barneyboyz336
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    You will need your passport updated or send a new photo signed on the back by a teacher/ policeman anyone from a professional background who can verify you are indeed the person in the photograph. If you check out the dvla site you should find a list a list of people that are exceptable for filling in the form and signing the photo for you. Hope this helps
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 17th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 11,924 Posts
    • 10,323 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    You will need your passport updated or send a new photo signed on the back by a teacher/ policeman anyone from a professional background who can verify you are indeed the person in the photograph. If you check out the dvla site you should find a list a list of people that are exceptable for filling in the form and signing the photo for you. Hope this helps
    Originally posted by Barneyboyz336
    It's actually quite a varied list and some surprising inclusions. You can have it certified by a professional photographer or company director. Both should be easier to locate than a policeman. I was able to certify a colleagues passport on that basis.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • Barneyboyz336
    • By Barneyboyz336 18th Mar 17, 7:41 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Barneyboyz336
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:41 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:41 AM
    You need to have known the person as well actually for 2 years!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 18th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 18,358 Posts
    • 42,098 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    You will need to update your passport first or send a photo with your licence.

You will probably need to get someone to sign your photo also. Solicitor or Doctor or someone in a profession but not family i think?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Originally posted by Barneyboyz336
    It's actually quite a varied list and some surprising inclusions. You can have it certified by a professional photographer or company director. Both should be easier to locate than a policeman. I was able to certify a colleagues passport on that basis.
    Originally posted by jimjames
    You don't need the photos signed for a renewal if you're still recognisable, which you usually are after only 10 years. It doesn't matter whether or not the passport has expired, it's still a normal renewal.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 18th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 11,924 Posts
    • 10,323 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    You don't need the photos signed for a renewal if you're still recognisable, which you usually are after only 10 years. It doesn't matter whether or not the passport has expired, it's still a normal renewal.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    That's true. However in 10 years, beards and hair loss can make a significant difference to appearance especially on a passport size photo
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,648Posts Today

8,873Users online

Martin's Twitter