Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MoneyMonster82
    • By MoneyMonster82 14th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MoneyMonster82
    NT Tax code issues
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    NT Tax code issues 14th Mar 17 at 7:14 PM
    Hi all,

I went bankrupt mid-January and on my first interview with the OR at the end of January. I asked about the NT situation and he said that as it this close to the end of the tax year that my tax code may not even change and/or they may not claim the tax back from me as it would only be for 2 or 3 months max.

I thought this was a bit strange so did some more investigation once I was paid and given a NT code and even chatted with CitizensAdvise who said that I wouldn't have to pay it back (I have this in writing, too)

Eventually I got through to the actual OR dealing with my case who is based in another office from who I spoke to orginally, and he said that different offices do different things and that I should already be paying back the tax to Clarke Willmott.

I have emailed Clarke Wilmott asking them asking how much it is exactly and how I can make a payment but have not heard anything back from them other than receipt of my first IPA payment and so now I have an excess £600 in my account and awaiting further instructions. It has been well over a week since I emailed them and received an automated response back.

Does anyone here know how long it will take? Has anyone here had similar issues? Will they wait till April and bill me?

Thanks for any help!
Page 1
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 14th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    Its frustrating I know but it takes as long as it takes. Keep the money to one side and don't be tempted to spend it until the OR clears it in writing. Sometimes chasing the different parties to all this just makes it worse not better. There is a process and the process moves at its own pace. Keep you head down and sit it out. Who knows - they may even forget about it all together
    • MoneyMonster82
    • By MoneyMonster82 14th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MoneyMonster82
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    So how much do I keep, I mean I have a rough idea but what if it's not enough? How do they work out the figure? Do they contact HRMC as on my payslip it doesn't say how much it should be each month? I don't have any old ones for reference either as sent them in? Can I not pay it monthly back added to IPA or does it have to be lump sum?
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 15th Mar 17, 5:35 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:35 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:35 AM
    If you are paid a set amount each month you need to save the extra you receive. i.e the amount you would have paid in tax.
    As said it will happen at its own speed and you just need to sit back and wait for things to fall into place.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    Usually you would pay all the money you would have paid in tax to the OR. However, in some cases, you may pay less if you are on a very low income. Keep everything you would have paid in tax aside.
    • MoneyMonster82
    • By MoneyMonster82 19th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MoneyMonster82
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    My pay actually went up the month I went BR which the OR knows about, I have used some online tools and worked it out to be about £400 I owe them which is set aside.

I also have worked overtime this month and have told them that, awaiting to hear back from them. Is it the same thing? Keep it to one side?
    • LEK
    • By LEK 20th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    LEK
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    As already mentioned - the best thing to do is wait it out to see if you hear from them, and also keep the tax money aside in the event that they do eventually chase it. The same goes for the OR as well, they can take sometime to write to you if they need to.

I'm on an NT tax IPA with Clarke & Willmott and have to email them over my wage slip every month and usually they take a week on average to come back to me to clarify how much I owe for that particular month, it's just simply how busy they are. My NT tax IPA is due to finish with them this month and I'm currently waiting for them to confirm this as well as I've already had a new tax code sent to me by HMRC which comes into effect as of next month.

Liam.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 20th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    ...Is it the same thing? Keep it to one side?
    Originally posted by MoneyMonster82
    Pretty much - yes. Keep the amount you would have paid in tax to one side.
    • MoneyMonster82
    • By MoneyMonster82 21st Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MoneyMonster82
    • 21st Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    I meant the extra money that I get from doing overtime, that too I should keep aside and not spend?

So in the future I should not do overtime as essentially I will be working for free if they take it?
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 21st Mar 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    TheGardener
    So in the future I should not do overtime as essentially I will be working for free if they take it?
    Originally posted by MoneyMonster82
    If the NT code is place, you keep back however much tax you would have paid on the income you have received. If the surplus income part of an IPA has been calculated and you have been told how much you are expected to pay - then you keep that aside too.
    HAs the OR not given you a surplus IPA or details of what they are (or are not) expecting yet?

The OR would normally work out an average overall income including the OT, from your financial history and then base an IPA (if there was sufficient surplus) on that. Alternatively, if the OT was unpredictable, they (or their agent) might ask for regular copies of your payslips so they can ask for extra if you have worked OT.

In reality - working OT is generally pointless if you are BR with an IPA (obviously not so pointless in the eyes of your creditors!). All the extra money would probably go to the OR - unless of course you are very low paid and the OT is almost essential to ensure you have enough to live on. If the OR has decided on a surplus income IPA, I would have thought you would have heard about it by now. Either way - keep the tax aside. As for extra net earnings, unless you have been told how much you have to pay and have signed the agreement, you can continue to use it. They OR cant expect you to keep aside money they didn't tell you would have to pay.
    Check your paperwork carefully and if that reveals nothing, just sit tight and quiet.
    Last edited by TheGardener; 21-03-2017 at 7:41 PM.
    • MoneyMonster82
    • By MoneyMonster82 21st Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MoneyMonster82
    The IPA is £702 a month and I was told to email them if I did overtime which I have, I am due to receive an extra £420 this month worth of overtime. Next month I will have zero overtime and emailed him that too. Still no reply and I've been busy during work hours to call and I don't really want to do it on my lunch break incase people are listening at work.

I didn't want to do the overtime as such but work had to be done and so I stayed late and worked extra to ensure it was completed.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 22nd Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    TheGardener
    Its going to be fairly pointless from an earnings point of view doing OT now. If however, the OT is something expected of you at work and not doing it would reflect badly on you - then I guess you have to find some balance on how much OT you do.

If you have already been notified of your IPA amount then obviously that's what you keep back. As for the OT - I guess you will just have to keep it to one side and wait and see what happens. You don't need to call them.
    • MoneyMonster82
    • By MoneyMonster82 22nd Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MoneyMonster82
    Yes that's exactly why I did the OT - to keep everything at work on good spirits.

Well I have let them know so I hope I get a reply soon. I've already started paying my IPA but the overtime money coming this pay would be handy but I will save it also.

Thanks for your help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,502Posts Today

7,728Users online

Martin's Twitter