Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 14th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 880Posts
    • 268Thanks
    Muscle750
    smoker at work
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    smoker at work 14th Mar 17 at 7:25 PM
    I work in very close proximity to someone who is quite a heavy smoker. They come in early and basically spend the first 2 hours outside smoking, Now they have started "vapping" whilst they are actually working. they have the thing in their hand almost all the time and whilst i have made the odd comment to them its done nothing and im now thinking of taking it further. I dont see why i or anyone else should be subjected to it when there is a designated smoking area outside.
Page 2
    • boliston
    • By boliston 15th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 1,981 Thanks
    boliston
    If they're spending much of the first 2 hours of the day outside smoking - then they aren't working during that time........

Does the employer know they're only getting about 75% productivity from them?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Time worked does not exactly equal productivity. Quite often you get staff who take an age to do the simplest thing, and even then they get it wrong.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 15th Mar 17, 8:22 AM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    If they are buying vaping juice from some cheap Chinese producer via an online auction site it could have pretty much anything in it. As your employer has no way of knowing or controlling what pollutants they are unnecessarily expelling I would say they have a definite duty of care to protect you and other workers. The vaper is making a choice, you don't have to. I would be very wary - cigarettes were safe once, then when we tried to get people to stop smoking for health reasons ... anyone remember the mouth cancer causing alternative Skoal Bandit?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,231 Thanks
    agrinnall

Sorry who are you?
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    I'm the one who can provide some evidence to back up my post, feel free to post your own link to support your assertion.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 15th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 10,040 Posts
    • 24,743 Thanks
    suki1964
    Your employer needs to introduce a policy about vaping in the workplace

ATM it's not illegal to vape in the workplace but it is unlawful to use the no smoking policy to ban it. Any no smoking policy in place needs to be amended to include vaping

Also your employer, if already providing smoking areas, may have to provide vaping areas as most of us using ecigs are using them to give up smoking and we also don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke

Where I work, vaping is not allowed inside the building, there are also no designated smoking area so smokers and vapers either don't use whilst in working hours or pop outside in all elements to get their fix
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 6,229 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Put a fan on your desk pointing in their direction.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 15th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 35,714 Thanks
    tea lover
    WHO research suggests that exhaled e-cigarette aerosol increases the background air level of some toxicants, nicotine and particles, increasing exposure for those nearby.
    http://apps.who.int/gb/fctc/PDF/cop6/FCTC_COP6_10-en.pdf?ua=1

There is also a fire risk from unregulated devices and chargers.
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 15th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    stuart30
    My simple answer to this would walk up next to him or her and drop your guts..as in a very loud smelly fart.

After all both have clouds of stinking smell and both are rather anti social...please post back results.
    • Ejog
    • By Ejog 15th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ejog
    WHO desperately want to support their Pharmaceutical paymasters, and their tobacco control members who are being made redundant by successful quitters via e-cigs, but their "suggestions" arent backed up by any real science or research. They still bang on about formaldehyde and gateway effects which were debunked years ago.

I prefer to believe the Royal College of Physicians, who were largely responsible for exposing tobacco smoking as dangerous all those years ago.
    I cant post a link to their findings, but I'm sure you can Google it.
    They say its at least 95% safer than smoking.
    I'm guessing thats closer to drinking coffee than smoking, but make your own minds up.
    • Ejog
    • By Ejog 15th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ejog
    My simple answer to this would walk up next to him or her and drop your guts..as in a very loud smelly fart.

After all both have clouds of stinking smell and both are rather anti social...please post back results.
    Originally posted by stuart30
    Congratulations if you manage to hold in your bodily functions all day at work, I'm afraid I don't. Perhaps because you secretly fart and others have to breathe it in all day somehow that's less antisocial than breathing in vanilla or cream flavoured vapour.

Each to their own.
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 15th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    Just read that WHO report, and find it hilarious that they suggest coupling ECigs to be regulated as a tobacco product... what part of e-liquid is derived from tobacco? Absolute nonsense. And banning sweet flavours to prevent minors vaping? If they really want to make a difference to public health then they should recommend preventing alcohol products from tasting like fruit or candy.

Nicotine has also been referred to as the 'opposite side of the coin' to caffeine. Plain tea (no milk or cream) and black coffee only would be their recommendation.
    Last edited by dcouponzzzz; 15-03-2017 at 2:06 PM.
    Started 07/15. Car finance £16,150 :/ , Mortgage: 130k - Savings: £600
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 15th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Regardless of whether vaping is harmful or not, its still antisocial and inconsiderate to put someone in a situation where they have to breath in your fumes.
    I know of some companies who have vaping policies so maybe you need to suggest to your manager that your organisation looks into it. I too find it annoying that some smokers are always popping outside. I'm sure if I went out every hour to eat chocolate it wouldn't be tolerated! It should be reserved for break times only.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 15th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    I'm the one who can provide some evidence to back up my post, feel free to post your own link to support your assertion.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Stop trying to sound smart on the internet, it's not cool .

I have no need or desire to post any link of any sort, "Why!!" you ask.. well because:

1:Who are you?
    2: Who the heck are you?
    3:Who on earth are you?

I came here for the O/P not you (Whoever you are), if you happen to be a person who's opinion actually means something then maybe I'll do what I did not intend in doing and ill play with you for a bit.

Till then play link wars with someone who like yourself, probably doesn't have much else to do

Last edited by xapprenticex; 15-03-2017 at 6:45 PM.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,231 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Stop trying to sound smart on the internet, it's not cool .
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    As you're clearly incapable of saying anything that makes any sense at all I'll just add you to my Ignore list so I don't have to bother myself with your rambligs any more.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 15th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    I'll just add you to my Ignore list
    Originally posted by agrinnall

WAIT!! so I wont have you respond to my posts any more?? I am completely and utterly GUTTED

Ta
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin