Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • raemon
    • By raemon 14th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 4Thanks
    raemon
    Converting a van into electric
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    Converting a van into electric 14th Mar 17 at 7:18 PM
    Hi all not sure where exactly to post this so hope moderators don't mind that I use this post in the loan section.

As the title suggests converting van i to electric. It's a camper van and I figured the amount of driving I do it's will eventually be worth it. I do around 20k a year in a diesel. Also because it is a camper I could save on hotels too.

I was just wonder what people think. The conversion is not cheap around 35k so it probably be about 10 years for my investment to repay. I also need to take a Loan out does any one have any suggestions? Thanks for your help
Page 2
    • digitaly
    • By digitaly 17th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    digitaly
    I have succesfully converted an old WV Beetle to electrics 48v using a forklift motor clutch and gearbox (for short jurneys) acid filled batteries (not the best but the cheepest) I would not suggest this application for a camper. Instead I would look into idrogen to save 20% on diesel (or more if you can manage to install 3 250w solar pannels to help the productions of idrogen on board and driving daytime). And if you travel to germany alot, Upgrade your tank and fill up in Luxemburg. Save that 35k for service and good holidays :-) in 10 years time you don't know what is going to come out. I aslo converted a little smart fortwo into LPG (not really impressed on saving) and now I'm converting a 400cc motorbike into LPG by fitting a gas tank inside the actual petrol tank (stealt installation) :-)
    • digitaly
    • By digitaly 17th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    digitaly
    And to be honest ? if you can get this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vPrHr8Itw for $200.000 very soon what is the future of motoring soon? :-)
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 11,008 Posts
    • 6,113 Thanks
    Strider590
    I aslo converted a little smart fortwo into LPG (not really impressed on saving) and now I'm converting a 400cc motorbike into LPG by fitting a gas tank inside the actual petrol tank (stealt installation) :-)
    Originally posted by digitaly
    See that's where you went wrong.........

Should have converted a Smart car to a 1300cc Suzuki Hayabusa
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    • 24,758 Posts
    • 9,814 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    And to be honest ? if you can get this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vPrHr8Itw for $200.000 very soon what is the future of motoring soon? :-)
    Thats funny.. "Inventors insist it will also fly one day."

It will fly tomorrow with a bit of thought and some planning. It will only fly the once though. Drop it from a great height = flying or "falling with style"?

Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 17th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 8,201 Posts
    • 6,402 Thanks
    Andy L
    Prius + caravan = <£35k
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 17th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    Would anyone insure it for a sensible premium?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    • 13,607 Posts
    • 11,994 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Prius + caravan = <£35k
    Originally posted by Andy L
    You won't tow much of a caravan with a Pious. The towing limit is VERY low.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 17th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    now I'm converting a 400cc motorbike into LPG by fitting a gas tank inside the actual petrol tank (stealt installation) :-)
    I call BS on that.

Finding a tank small enough to fit, with multivalve and pipework, inside the petrol tank of a 400 is in itself a challenge. The tank will only fill to 80% capacity, rendering it even smaller. Then how will you make the shutoff solenoid work safely inside a petrol tank?

To install an LPG system safely and legally, I don't for one moment believe you'll be putting a tank inside the petrol tank, unless you're going to do some kind of bodge which will render the bike outside C&U regs and hence illegal to use, not to mention uninsurable.

Of course, if you have some pictures of your progress on this project, I'd be glad to be re-educated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,966Users online

Martin's Twitter