Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gfd
    • By Gfd 14th Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gfd
    Garden Rubbish
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    Garden Rubbish 14th Mar 17 at 5:10 PM
    Hi all,
    I hope someone can offer some advice. I moved into small house with my partner 18 months ago. The house was clean and cleared of any waste as was the garden. I have a shed (which was left by the previous owner) at the bottom of the garden with a large ivy and holly bush behind it.
    I have been cutting this bush back and have uncovered a large barrel which seems to contain some fluid (it does not seem full of fluid), this was not mentioned on any survey documentation when I bought the house.
    I have called the previous owner to find out about the barrel, he said that he knew that there was a barrel there and that it had been there for the ten years that he owned the property, he did not know that there was any fluid in it and he never had any reason to dispose of the barrel.
    Is the previous owner responsible in any way for the cost of disposal of the barrel and unknown contents?
Page 1
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 14th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 1,860 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    Going after previous owner more trouble than its worth. After just reading my council tax bill I will collect your barrel and insert it into our council leaders !!!!.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 4,343 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    this was not mentioned on any survey documentation when I bought the house.
    Originally posted by Gfd
    Well, it's taken you 18 months to find it, and you live there, so I'm not sure why you'd expect a surveyor to take notice!

Is the previous owner responsible in any way for the cost of disposal of the barrel and unknown contents?
    Is there a cost? Do you need to dispose of it? Did your contract include anything which might cover it?

For all practical purposes I think the house and any "freebies" are your problem now.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 14th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,809 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Hi all,
    I hope someone can offer some advice. I moved into small house with my partner 18 months ago. The house was clean and cleared of any waste as was the garden. I have a shed (which was left by the previous owner) at the bottom of the garden with a large ivy and holly bush behind it.
    I have been cutting this bush back and have uncovered a large barrel which seems to contain some fluid (it does not seem full of fluid), this was not mentioned on any survey documentation when I bought the house.
    I have called the previous owner to find out about the barrel, he said that he knew that there was a barrel there and that it had been there for the ten years that he owned the property, he did not know that there was any fluid in it and he never had any reason to dispose of the barrel.
    Originally posted by Gfd
    Not after this time, no. It's your house now, so your garden, your barrel, your problem. If it bothers you, deal with it. If not, let the holly bush grow back and get on with life.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 13,220 Posts
    • 11,549 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    I moved into small house with my partner 18 months ago.

I have called the previous owner to find out about the barrel, he said that he knew that there was a barrel there and that it had been there for the ten years that he owned the property

Originally posted by Gfd
    It was there when he moved in? Then why not get in contact with the person he bought it off - surely he's liable?!?
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 14th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    Whether he is liable or not, can you not just put it out with garbage, or pay a small one off to get it taken away? It surely will cost you a lot less time than trying to chase someone else to take care of it in mail stamps alone
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 14th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    sparky130a
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    Originally posted by Gfd
    And he didn't drop his dinner plate and come right round to remove said barrel?

Very bad form if you ask me...
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 14th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    sparky130a
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    Going after previous owner more trouble than its worth. After just reading my council tax bill I will collect your barrel and insert it into our council leaders !!!!.
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    Said virtually every single person in the UK...
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 14th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2,019 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    You called the seller to chase about a single item of rubbish after 18monrhs? And they were still polite to you? Make sure they get a Christmas card!

Tip the "fluid" out as long as it's not oily or petrol-smelling...Smash up the barrel and get rid of it. It's YOUR barrel.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 38,517 Posts
    • 43,624 Thanks
    G_M
    Is this a water butt? Collecting water from the shed roof?

Is the barrel open-topped or enclosed? Is there a pipe going into it? Have you smelt the contents?

As for claiming off the previous owners but one.....
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 4,343 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Could be a fine malt...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 21,648 Posts
    • 85,392 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Could be a fine malt...
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Or even something more valuable still, like real creosote!
    I used to suffer with kleptomania, but now I take something for it.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 14th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 2,019 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Or even something more valuable still, like real creosote!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Just get that stuff online and tell them you're a fencer! I've still a 5 gallon tub in the garage that I barely touched when I did the last wooden garage. The stuff doesn't half splatter everywhere though, as my neighbour's poor little plastic shed found out.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 14th Mar 17, 9:06 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    Penitent
    There are two things I'm oddly desperate to find out:

1) What's in the barrel?

2) What was the small change that was so devastating to the new build buyer in that other thread?

Sadly, I think I'm going to be left wanting.

Gfd - After 18 months, whatever it is is yours now.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Mar 17, 4:30 AM
    • 21,648 Posts
    • 85,392 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Just get that stuff online and tell them you're a fencer!
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Farmers can still get it from the usual farmer outlets.

I'm not entirely sure why, but luckily, I'm a 'farmer.'
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Mar 17, 6:06 AM
    • 12,010 Posts
    • 32,738 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    There are two things I'm oddly desperate to find out:

1) What's in the barrel?

2) What was the small change that was so devastating to the new build buyer in that other thread?

Sadly, I think I'm going to be left wanting.

Gfd - After 18 months, whatever it is is yours now.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    You forgot the third one:

- Why would previous owner have been such a slob as to just leave a barrel sitting around in their garden for so long?

But...yep...they were a right slob and you're having to clear up their mess for them OP. Unfortunately - being a home-owner means having to clear up previous owners slobbing/cheap-skate bodge repairs/etc/etc.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 15th Mar 17, 6:19 AM
    • 2,019 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Farmers can still get it from the usual farmer outlets.

I'm not entirely sure why, but luckily, I'm a 'farmer.'
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    So can landscapers and pretty much any trade
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Mar 17, 6:53 AM
    • 13,220 Posts
    • 11,549 Thanks
    AdrianC
    You forgot the third one:

- Why would previous owner have been such a slob as to just leave a barrel sitting around in their garden for so long?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Out of sight, out of mind, behind a bush...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    • 21,648 Posts
    • 85,392 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Give it a sniff to see if you can ID the substance. If if it's in a blue plastic drum and sweet smelling, it could be liquid soap or detergent. Fruit juices were also put into some of these. I inherited both here and I'm still using the drums for water butts and rodent proof storage.

The last 25 litres of creosote I got came from someone who inherited it with a bungalow. He put it on Freecycle under 'Creosote?' It wasn't terribly hard to ID!
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 15th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    sparky130a
    Out of sight, out of mind, behind a bush...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I could comment but i won't....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

417Posts Today

4,797Users online

Martin's Twitter