Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sam Donovan
    • By Sam Donovan 14th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Sam Donovan
    Work to get tax credits?
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    Work to get tax credits? 14th Mar 17 at 5:12 PM
    Hi I am struggling to understand tax credits and I have filled in the calculator on gov website and read the info.

I am currently working PT and DH is FT so have never been eligable or so I thought as we earned too much.

We have 3 DC under 7 , and child care costs are £200 per week.

I now am in the position I may need to stop working as I cannot work my current shifts around dc , and DH travels for work monday to friday so isnt able to change hours however I dont understand if I didnt work can I claim or do you both need to work more than x number of hours per week?

If I stopped my current job I would look to freelance however this would only bring in around £7k a year doing around 15 hours per week.

One of my dc is in the process of being diagnosed with Autism and is not coping with being in childcare ( even though I am PT due to shifts and travel its almost full time childcare I need ).

I know if my childcare costs dropped this would affect it however I would consider going back to uni and so still use some childcare for my other 2 dc who are younger but I dont fully understand if it is only for those who both work.

Any advice would be much appreciated .
    Last edited by Sam Donovan; 14-03-2017 at 5:15 PM.
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 14th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 4,256 Posts
    • 2,704 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    To claim WTC as a couple with children you need to work at least 24hrs between you with one working at least 16hrs per week. As your partner is full time he meets that requirement. How much you then get depends on income.

To claim the childcare element of WTC, you both must work at least 16hrs per week. There is an exception if one works at least 16hrs and the other is deemed "incapacitated" as outlined here - http://revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-do-tax-credits-work/understanding-childcare/costs-of-childcare/
    Again how much you get is based on income.

You don't need to work to claim CTC. It's based purely based on number of children, children with disabilities and income.

It would help if you could give some sort of indiciation of household income.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 14th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 2,257 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    To claim WTC as a couple with children you need to work at least 24hrs between you with one working at least 16hrs per week. As your partner is full time he meets that requirement. How much you then get depends on income.

To claim the childcare element of WTC, you both must work at least 16hrs per week. There is an exception if one works at least 16hrs and the other is deemed "incapacitated" as outlined here - http://revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-do-tax-credits-work/understanding-childcare/costs-of-childcare/
    Again how much you get is based on income.

You don't need to work to claim CTC. It's based purely based on number of children, children with disabilities and income.

It would help if you could give some sort of indiciation of household income.
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    Just to add to what DS has said - there is also an exception for childcare if you are entitled to carer's allowance. If your son was to receive Disability Living Allowance care at a high enough rate you might be entitled to carer's allowance which would trigger the exception for childcare working hours for you.

IQ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,823Posts Today

6,438Users online

Martin's Twitter