Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Things.Past
    • By Things.Past 14th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Things.Past
    Switching electric supplier.
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    Switching electric supplier. 14th Mar 17 at 4:51 PM
    Hi all.
    My daughter has just moved into a housing association house. By the previous occupier, the electricity supplier was / is N Power. She phoned them telling them she needed to pay off used usage since moving in, which was just a few days ago, and that she wished to move to another supplier.
    She has not entered into any contract, N Power was the supplier with the last occupier...She was told over the phone that she needs to register on the N Power web site using address details and account number from the previous occupier, then make and clear the payment, she can then switch, BUT only after three weeks. She was then told that if she switches she will be charged for the switch. Call me thick, but this sounds complete BULL.
    Any advice/help please ?..
    Last edited by Things.Past; 14-03-2017 at 4:53 PM.
Page 1
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 14th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    Hi all.
    My daughter has just moved into a housing association house. By the previous occupier, the electricity supplier was / is N Power. She phoned them telling them she needed to pay off used usage since moving in, which was just a few days ago, and that she wished to move to another supplier.
    She has not entered into any contract, N Power was the supplier with the last occupier...She was told over the phone that she needs to register on the N Power web site using address details and account number from the previous occupier, then make and clear the payment, she can then switch, BUT only after three weeks. She was then told that if she switches she will be charged for the switch. Call me thick, but this sounds complete BULL.
    Any advice/help please ?..
    Originally posted by Things.Past
    She is in a deemed contract with N Power. She would have to register give readings etc, so they can send her bill.

She can switch at anytime after, usually takes 3 weeks to go through.

She will be charged by N Power until then. She will then receive final bill
    • Things.Past
    • By Things.Past 14th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Things.Past
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    Ok, That does make sense. A bit more understandable than that she was told. Thank you for your help..
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 14th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 2,198 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    Joyful
    Get her to register and give readings. Tell her to stay on the standard tariff and then contact her preferred supplier. The switch will take 17 days after which she will be billed for usage.
    I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

2,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin