Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bellaboo86
    • By bellaboo86 14th Mar 17, 4:37 PM
    • 251Posts
    • 361Thanks
    bellaboo86
    Reviews of low e glass
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:37 PM
    Reviews of low e glass 14th Mar 17 at 4:37 PM
    Hi,
    I am having some windows replaced (not the frame just the glass). I have been given a quote for regular double glazed window panes and window panes with low e. Is it worth paying the extra for?
    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Private Church
    • By Private Church 14th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    Private Church
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    There are various types of "Low E" glass and it does make a difference. Its basically a coating on the outside face of the inside pane of glass which allows the heat from the sun in but not out and it does work too and the voide needs to be filled with an inert gas such as Argon,Krypton or Xenon.

If the window frames are in good condition and have draught excluders fitted then I'd say yes its worth it dependant on how much of a premium you are being charged over a standard unit made without Low E glass.

What specification have you been offered?
    • bellaboo86
    • By bellaboo86 14th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    bellaboo86
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    Erm no idea. The guy did go though it with me but it made no sense. There is only an £80 difference between the prices so I think it might be worth going for.
    • Private Church
    • By Private Church 14th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    Private Church
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    Erm no idea. The guy did go though it with me but it made no sense. There is only an £80 difference between the prices so I think it might be worth going for.
    Originally posted by bellaboo86
    £80 would be a lot if there was only around 3 or 4 units but if its for a few more its not really worth worrying about..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,219Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin