Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 14th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 2,002Posts
    • 2,461Thanks
    chelseablue
    Council Tax
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    Council Tax 14th Mar 17 at 4:04 PM
    Just received our Council Tax bill for 2017/18.... 1,846.

Seems a lot to me but we are in Berkshire, SE England

Anyone else had theirs yet?
    Baby Boy born May 2014

Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 225,078
Page 3
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 15th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    do the rich pay more for the same services?

that's a strange definition of favours!
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    Council tax is a tax, not a payment for service.

As said previously, an extremely wealthy person only pays marginally more in council tax than someone on minimum wage.

I'd like to see people's reaction if it was the same with Income Tax and you learned that, e.g. Dyson paid basically the same as you.

People in general seem to agree that Income Tax is a fair way to finance public services, so one has to wonder why it should be different to finance local public services.
    Last edited by Miss Samantha; 15-03-2017 at 1:01 PM.
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 15th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    6% increase in Kirklees, West Yorkshire.
    Savings: Aim 10k. Dec 2016 1,700 / Current 9,075
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -216,000 / Current -199,400
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -136,000/ Current -126,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -48,185.82 / Current -35,655.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -18,275.04 / Current -14,310.60
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -4,500 / Current -3,724.38
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 15th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 3,218 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    Band A, West Yorks. Gone up 4.99% (including 3% for adult social care) to 992.03.
    • Kevie192
    • By Kevie192 15th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 2,512 Thanks
    Kevie192
    In some ways it would make more sense to rate properties by the land area they occupy than the internal floor area or number of bedrooms.

If you live in a flat it is a much more efficient use of land so the land used by the plot could be divided by the number of floors in the block.
    Originally posted by boliston
    No, it wouldn't.

A block of flats produces considerably more strain on waste, police, fire, infrastructure than a single house. That's a very poor and unfair idea.

And this is spoken as an occupant of a flat!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Mar 17, 10:55 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    * Adult social care sounds like the elderly, did you know your council provides houses and 24 hr carers for numerous 18-24 yr old's where the parents can't be arsed looking after them?
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    Hold on a minute, the care requirements of some profoundly disabled young adults are well above what most people could ever manage (or afford) at home.

Think before you judge, please.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 15th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    LittleMax
    ???

do the rich get a special line to call to get more police to turn up?
    do the rich get a bin lorry that is more fancy than the poor?
    do the fire service ask for your income before deciding if they turn up?
    do the rich old people get more free care from the council?

do the rich pay more for the same services?

that's a strange definition of favours!
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    No, we should all pay according to our means for a fair and equitable service. That's what taxation is all about. Are you seriously proposing that we all pay a flat rate of tax? Maybe we should go the whole hog and have a pay per use system - I don't have children, I would quite happily not pay for education. Doesn't work does it?
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 15th Mar 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    LittleMax
    Our borough council have gone for the maximum 5 increase - then on top of that introduced a 40 a year charge for green waste collection (optional charge!). A stealthy way of getting round holding a referendum on council tax increases.

And - yes I know lots of you already pay for your green waste to be collected but that doesn't make it right or fair!

The councils are reluctant to take referenda - yet that is the way to put pressure on central government who are causing the problems by cutting funding. Personally it is my view that local services should be funded by a distribution of national taxation - thus removing the regional economic variances.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 15th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Maybe we should go the whole hog and have a pay per use system - I don't have children, I would quite happily not pay for education. Doesn't work does it?
    Originally posted by LittleMax
    No that doesn't work: under a pay per use system you would need to pay for education you recieved as a child. The fact you don't have any children is irrelevant: even if you did, it would be their responsibility to pay for their education.
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 15th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    sparky130a
    No, we should all pay according to our means for a fair and equitable service. That's what taxation is all about. Are you seriously proposing that we all pay a flat rate of tax? Maybe we should go the whole hog and have a pay per use system - I don't have children, I would quite happily not pay for education. Doesn't work does it?
    Originally posted by LittleMax
    From rudimentary economic A levels that depends.

It's either progressive, regressive or proportional. Depending on government you take your pick...
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 15th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    LittleMax
    No that doesn't work: under a pay per use system you would need to pay for education you recieved as a child. The fact you don't have any children is irrelevant: even if you did, it would be their responsibility to pay for their education.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    No, on a pay per use basis parents pay private schools to educate their children - if they can't afford it their children don't get educated.

Under a fair taxation system - I am satisfied that I am paying for my own education - or for all children to be educated, in order that as a society we will advance and they will be able to contribute for me when I am old.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 15th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    chelseablue
    At the moment the only service we use from the council is having our bin collected.

But that'll change next year when our son will be going to primary school
    Baby Boy born May 2014

• p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 15th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    • 5,327 Posts
    • 4,806 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    At the moment the only service we use from the council is having our bin collected.
    Originally posted by chelseablue
    I suspect you're wrong.
    For starters, an element of council tax goes to the fire service, the police service, maintainance of street lighting and local roads.

I can't believe you'd not expect the fire brigade to turn up if your house was burning down....
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 15th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    chelseablue
    I suspect you're wrong.
    For starters, an element of council tax goes to the fire service, the police service, maintainance of street lighting and local roads.

I can't believe you'd not expect the fire brigade to turn up if your house was burning down....
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    True! Didn't think of the street lights etc

Thank God not had to use the police or fire brigade so far
    Baby Boy born May 2014

• LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 15th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    LittleMax

Are you sure - do you never leave the house then?

Roads, pavements, green spaces - you don't use any of those?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 15th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 9,763 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    CIS
    One of the key points to remember is that council tax isn't to specifically fund any service - the council tax is to (part) fund the local authority. They will then use any council tax they get to run statutory services (and some non-statutory ones) but that money will be mixed in amongst funding from other sources.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 15th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 4,459 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    Band A, West Yorks. Gone up 4.99% (including 3% for adult social care) to 992.03.
    Originally posted by vuvuzela
    Band A Sheffield

Overall increase of 4.7% up to 1103

includes a Social care surcharge of 44.65, 2% increase for COuncil, 3.3% Police and 2% Fire & Rescue.

Payrise 1%

Its about time single persons discount was 50%.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • CIS
    • By CIS 15th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    • 9,763 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    CIS
    Band A Sheffield

Overall increase of 4.7% up to 1103

includes a Social care surcharge of 44.65, 2% increase for COuncil, 3.3% Police and 2% Fire & Rescue.

Payrise 1%

Its about time single persons discount was 50%.
    Originally posted by sammyjammy
    As it stands it's 25% for a specific reason - I doubt they'd change it (although the secretary of state does have the power)

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • tealady
    • By tealady 15th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    tealady

If you ever visit any business that sells food then the Council inspect that, use a taxi, the Council licence those,hire a skip or use a tip then yep the Council have an involvement in those as well. Oh and they have to pay Council staff wages (bin men and social workers have families and have to eat)

Also guess who runs elections, school appeals, emergency planning, animal welfare and graveyards.

Oh and in Birmingham is the national Loan Sharks team trying to fight those who leech on the vulnerable on society, your and my taxes support this (imo vital) work.

Just a thought.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 15th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 2,404 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    As it stands it's 25% for a specific reason - I doubt they'd change it (although the secretary of state does have the power)

Craig
    Originally posted by CIS
    That reason may well have its reasons, but how can a couple create as much work for the council as an HMO of six working professionals who pay much less per person? The latter would produce more rubbish and own more cars.
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 15th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    Tandridge Council, Bang G - 2959.65. Increase of 4%.

I thought Kingston was expensive but then I moved to Tandridge ... There's only two of us and no kids, so not getting a lot of benefits for the money.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,361Posts Today

13,050Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin