Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 14th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 2,007Posts
    • 2,463Thanks
    chelseablue
    Council Tax
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    Council Tax 14th Mar 17 at 4:04 PM
    Just received our Council Tax bill for 2017/18.... £1,846.

Seems a lot to me but we are in Berkshire, SE England

Anyone else had theirs yet?
    Baby Boy born May 2014

Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,078
Page 2
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Mar 17, 6:48 PM
    • 5,276 Posts
    • 4,944 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Adult social care sounds like the elderly, did you know your council provides houses and 24 hr carers for numerous 18-24 yr old's where the parents can't be arsed looking after them?
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    But it is mostly going to be care for the elderly, isn't it? And you might also wonder why their families aren't looking after them?
    • jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 14th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 4,985 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    jennifernil
    East Dunbartonshire, now £3000! Band G, gone up £400... Not too chuffed at all.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan

Also East Dunbarton, band H, including water and waste ( which is separate in England) ours is now over £3700, an increase of over £600.

A lot to have to pay to live in your own home, and over 10% of our income.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 14th Mar 17, 9:07 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 2,439 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Also East Dunbarton, band H, including water and waste ( which is separate in England) ours is now over £3700, an increase of over £600.

A lot to have to pay to live in your own home, and over 10% of our income.
    Originally posted by jennifernil
    I think a lot of properties in the area are over rated for council tax. When such a high % are at G and H for what can be fairly modest homes.
    • n217970
    • By n217970 14th Mar 17, 9:17 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    n217970
    Band E for us is 2k, and thats with losing the local town council element after moving to a village. old house would have been about 2.2k

Plus we are in the north where as you all know its grim. We dont have big wages like the fancy southeners.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 14th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    boliston
    In some ways it would make more sense to rate properties by the land area they occupy than the internal floor area or number of bedrooms.

If you live in a flat it is a much more efficient use of land so the land used by the plot could be divided by the number of floors in the block.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 14th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 2,917 Thanks
    Penitent
    * Adult social care sounds like the elderly, did you know your council provides houses and 24 hr carers for numerous 18-24 yr old's where the parents can't be arsed looking after them?
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    If the young person has been assessed as needing 24 hour care, is it not possible that it's less because the parent "can't be arsed" and more because they just can't provide the level of care the disabled young person needs? Or that it may be dangerous for the young person to live in a "normal" environment, either for the young person themself or the other family members? I wouldn't imagine the Council would provide 24 hour care just because someone doesn't want to pick up their kid's dirty pants.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 14th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    sheff6107
    The system is inheritantly unfair. I'm temporarily renting a 3 bed semi which is unchanged from circa 1960 (single glazing, olive green carpets, electrics from Edison's day). Nobody would pay more than £160k for it.

The neighbour's identical house would sell for £250k, yet we pay the same council tax. The property values wouldn't even have been comparable in 1991 because the people valuating just drove down the street and guessed what the houses were worth. Unless you had a sofa and half a car on your front lawn they assumed every house was in mint condition presumably.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 14th Mar 17, 9:41 PM
    • 7,827 Posts
    • 11,589 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Mine is £1335.00. Band D property.

That includes single person discount. Expensive part of the country plus the new charges for Adult Social Care included this year for Surrey County Council. Quite a rise from last year.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 14th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    Ours is £1022 for band A. But we get single person discount as I'm a student (so £766)
    0.7% the city council
    3% adult social care
    2% fire
    2% police

I find it strange how different areas calculate it differently. In one of my old places the house was the same size as this one now but was band B and was more money. I'd have assumed living in a city would have the more expensive council tax. Unless its living in a parish that causes the added expense?
    • booksurr
    • By booksurr 14th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 3,993 Thanks
    booksurr
    Ours is £1022 for band A. But we get single person discount as I'm a student (so £766)
    0.7% the city council
    3% adult social care
    2% fire
    2% police

I find it strange how different areas calculate it differently. In one of my old places the house was the same size as this one now but was band B and was more money. I'd have assumed living in a city would have the more expensive council tax. Unless its living in a parish that causes the added expense?
    Originally posted by WibblyGirly
    even a student should be able to spot if a parish council has caused an addition to the tax bill as it will create its own additional line on the bill?
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 14th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    Council tax is skewed in favour of the richest/most expensive properties because the range is so narrow.

Your billionaire in his mega-mention worth £100 million only pays a tad over 3x what the poor person in her dodgy one bedroom flat pays.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 15th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Kim_13
    The system is inheritantly unfair. I'm temporarily renting a 3 bed semi which is unchanged from circa 1960 (single glazing, olive green carpets, electrics from Edison's day). Nobody would pay more than £160k for it.

The neighbour's identical house would sell for £250k, yet we pay the same council tax. The property values wouldn't even have been comparable in 1991 because the people valuating just drove down the street and guessed what the houses were worth. Unless you had a sofa and half a car on your front lawn they assumed every house was in mint condition presumably.
    Originally posted by sheff6107
    I believe it's designed that way to prevent people from leaving their properties in bad repair in order to pay less council tax. Logical in a way, however I don't think most of those living with severely outdated decor would be doing so if they could afford to change it. The rising numbers of renters will just be putting up as there is no sense in spending money on someone else's property.
    Last edited by Kim_13; 15-03-2017 at 9:03 AM.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£62.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £162.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £10/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Mar 17, 9:05 AM
    • 4,222 Posts
    • 17,247 Thanks
    Slinky
    It may not seem 'fair' but the attempt at being 'Fair' resulted in the Poll Tax Riots as I recall.
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 15th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    It may not seem 'fair' but the attempt at being 'Fair' resulted in the Poll Tax Riots as I recall.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    It should be an income tax but they somehow think that it would be too complicated, I think. And of course, as said, the current system favours the rich, so hey.
    Last edited by Miss Samantha; 15-03-2017 at 9:37 AM.
    • Newbie78
    • By Newbie78 15th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Newbie78
    Yep Berkshire here also, just under £1700!

Thank god for direct debit, we can almost pretend its not happening LOL
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 15th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 3,534 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    It should be an income tax but they somehow think that it would be too complicated, I think. And of course, as said, the current system favours the rich, so hey.
    Originally posted by Miss Samantha
    ???

do the rich get a special line to call to get more police to turn up?
    do the rich get a bin lorry that is more fancy than the poor?
    do the fire service ask for your income before deciding if they turn up?
    do the rich old people get more free care from the council?

do the rich pay more for the same services?

that's a strange definition of favours!
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 15th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 2,007 Posts
    • 2,463 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Yep Berkshire here also, just under £1700!

Thank god for direct debit, we can almost pretend its not happening LOL
    Originally posted by Newbie78
    If you pay via Santander 123 account you get a bit back on it too
    Baby Boy born May 2014

Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,078
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 15th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 639 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    sparky130a
    ???

do the rich get a special line to call to get more police to turn up?
    do the rich get a bin lorry that is more fancy than the poor?
    do the fire service ask for your income before deciding if they turn up?
    do the rich old people get more free care from the council?

do the rich pay more for the same services?

that's a strange definition of favours!
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    Probably not. But they do get a special seat at HMRC to "negotiate" their tax affairs.

Which would in turn allow more income to pay more CT.....
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 23,631 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    £1970, Band E, Hampshire. Up £85 from last year but actually the first rise for several years.
    • clint_S
    • By clint_S 15th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    clint_S
    Cheshire West band E just under £2K.

What are we getting for this? changing the speeding limits for down to 20mph for everywhere (not just residential areas), removal of free parking (apparently it's unfair on the rest of Cheshire and motorist don't want free parking), increased yellow lines to prevent people using the train stations. What would be nice is a new bridge out of the town instead of a single track traffic light controlled bridge (would be really nice before they finish the 4000 houses they've given planning permission for).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

6,798Users online

Martin's Twitter