Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 14th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    Guide discussion: Tax-Free Childcare
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    Guide discussion: Tax-Free Childcare 14th Mar 17 at 3:56 PM

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 3
    • Rachw8
    • By Rachw8 31st May 17, 3:30 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachw8
    Difficulties logging in are making this unusable for me. Are others finding the same? I can't even find the login page, so to access my account I'm going through the sign up process to the point where I can log in with govt gateway. Then, nine times out of ten I just get an error message. "We're experiencing technical difficulties. We don't know when the service will be available again. Please try again later."

So of course I submitted some feedback. Guess what happens when I submit the feedback form... "We're experiencing technical difficulties..."

This system doesn't seem ready for prime time to me. Are others having more luck with it? Am I missing a trick?
    Originally posted by mozz100

Yep i'm having exactly the same problem... so frustrating
    • LizPhillips
    • By LizPhillips 31st May 17, 7:14 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LizPhillips
    5 weeks later and my application is still being considered!
    • chrisdy34
    • By chrisdy34 31st May 17, 10:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    chrisdy34
    Can anyone else pay into the child care account or must it be one of the two parents?
    Last edited by chrisdy34; 31-05-2017 at 10:07 PM.
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 31st May 17, 11:33 PM
    • 4,228 Posts
    • 6,931 Thanks
    Mupette
    Not true. Childcare vouchers and tax credits can be claimed together, there is nothing to stop anyone doing this. It isn't usually a good idea because you end up worse off in most cases. We only did this because our childcare costs were above the maximum limit for tax credits and because I have grandfathered rights to higher rate tax relief on my vouchers.

The new tax free childcare cannot be claimed at the same time as tax credits, it is in the rules of the scheme. If you claim both, something will need repaid.
    Originally posted by rpc
    That's not what i said.

I said the childcare element of tax credits

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• rpc
    • By rpc 1st Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 3,493 Thanks
    rpc
    That's not what i said.

I said the childcare element of tax credits
    Originally posted by Mupette
    I know what you said and replied to the same.

Generally, if you claim the childcare element of tax credits and childcare vouchers then you end up worse off that if you just claimed the tax credits. It's within the rules, just not normally a good idea. Your tax credits go down by more than the savings you make using childcare vouchers.

The new tax free childcare cannot be used when in receipt of any tax credits.
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 5th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 4,228 Posts
    • 6,931 Thanks
    Mupette
    I know what you said and replied to the same.

Generally, if you claim the childcare element of tax credits and childcare vouchers then you end up worse off that if you just claimed the tax credits. It's within the rules, just not normally a good idea. Your tax credits go down by more than the savings you make using childcare vouchers.

The new tax free childcare cannot be used when in receipt of any tax credits.
    Originally posted by rpc

Update on this, RPC having looked into this, things have changed it's a case of if you do try to claim both, it is heavily suggested you go back to HMRC before signing up to childcare vouchers to see how much it can affect you, if you don't there is a risk of being overpaid by HMRC.
    Last edited by Mupette; 03-07-2017 at 8:09 AM.

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• rpc
    • By rpc 6th Jun 17, 12:59 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 3,493 Thanks
    rpc
    Please feel free to contact HMRC
    Originally posted by Mupette
    We have...

HMRC also have a handy calculator on their website to tell you how much your tax credits would change if you took childcare vouchers. Bit of an odd things for them to provide if it is not allowed.

This snippet:
    You may still be entitled to some tax credits payments. When you claim don’t include the childcare vouchers as income. When you work out your childcare costs don’t include the amount covered by the vouchers.
    by Government on childcare element of tax credits
    Which is exactly what we did and we went through it in writing because it is basically too complex for the call centre.

edit: EIM16059, TCTM04215 and particularly TCTM02630 seem to be the relevant rules.
    Last edited by rpc; 06-06-2017 at 1:17 PM.
    • Emjay92
    • By Emjay92 7th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emjay92
    Using it as a savings account...
    Hi guys...

Forgive me if I am being stupid but my son won't be in childcare until he's two, next June. I am eligible for tax free childcare so am I able to open an account now to save ahead of him starting preschool?

Thanks
    • alan_ni
    • By alan_ni 9th Jun 17, 1:10 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alan_ni
    I have been trying to register for the tax free childcare for over 2 weeks now. However each time after I enter my government gateway and access code, I get the message "We are experiencing technical difficulties, please try later". Is anyone else having the same issue? Has anyone actually managed to get registered in recent weeks?

I have phoned HMRC several times - on the last occasion they raised an incident report and said someone would contact me. Five days later and I'm still waiting.
    • tyrab79
    • By tyrab79 15th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tyrab79
    anybody used successfully yet?
    hi
    has anybody actually paid any money in yet? I am interested to know if the government funding does get paid in the same day as you pay in as I'll have to pay my childminder the same day I get paid and pay in my money.....
    thanks
    • afro
    • By afro 16th Jun 17, 12:59 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    afro
    It's all working well for me now - Money has gone in, and reached my nursery. I have made a test payment and it went through earlier this month without any issue.

Lessons learned - money appears to arrive the day after sending, even for "faster payments" or standing orders. I've not tried a card payment.

The money might take a day or so to get to the provider - although I can't be sure with my nursery.

Access to the site seems reliable at the moment - I hope it is still running quickly at the end of the month when payments are needed.

Also - don't reset your password or loose that gateway ID number - it took a while to get back on after I reset mine!
    All my views are my monkey's views. I give advice on behalf of my pet monkey and do I give banana related advice. All my posts are my monkey's opinion and no-one else's.
    • Annie Clark
    • By Annie Clark 16th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Annie Clark
    hi
    has anybody actually paid any money in yet? I am interested to know if the government funding does get paid in the same day as you pay in as I'll have to pay my childminder the same day I get paid and pay in my money.....
    thanks
    Originally posted by tyrab79
    In my case the govt funding appeared in the TFC account right after I put my money in the account (I used a debit card). Once you make a payment to the childcare provider, the system tells you it takes 3-5 business days for the payment to reach the childcare provider, but I'm not sure whether that is true or not, I have not asked my childminder .

Btw, my child is 9, but I believe I'm part of a trial - as I signed up to be notified of updates re the scheme, at some point HMRC sent me an invite to join. I've been using the TFC for 2+ months now and it seems like the technical glitches they had have now stopped.
    • robato
    • By robato 18th Jun 17, 8:39 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robato
    I've done the above about 4 times and get the usual message of "Thank you. Your application is being considered. We'll send you a message when we know the result."

I've tried calling up several times but always get the same answer - "you are elligble for the scheme, someone will call you back in a few days"

It's just ridiculous, I have 3 year old twins who go to nursery full time at a cost of £1,400 a month..
    Originally posted by hmd1987
    I have the exact same problem. I applied over 6 weeks ago but have been getting the same "Thank you. Your application is being considered. We'll send you a message when we know the result." every time I log in.

I called them last week:
    1st time: They said I was already registered and eligible, so just log in and it should work. It didn't.

2nd time: Their lines were too busy, so they just cut me off.

3rd time: A rather incompetent operator who didn't really know what they were talking about, eventually escalated my application to the technical team. But there was no timeframe for resolution, there is a backlog and they won't be contacting me until they've fixed it. Not very helpful.

So 7 weeks and still not got access to TFC,
    • Andyt1981
    • By Andyt1981 20th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Andyt1981
    I have the exact same problem. I applied over 6 weeks ago but have been getting the same "Thank you. Your application is being considered. We'll send you a message when we know the result." every time I log in.

I called them last week:
    1st time: They said I was already registered and eligible, so just log in and it should work. It didn't.

2nd time: Their lines were too busy, so they just cut me off.

3rd time: A rather incompetent operator who didn't really know what they were talking about, eventually escalated my application to the technical team. But there was no timeframe for resolution, there is a backlog and they won't be contacting me until they've fixed it. Not very helpful.

So 7 weeks and still not got access to TFC,
    Originally posted by robato
    I'm in the same position - I tried to register 6 weeks ago and still nothing. I've escalated the issue to a complaint but they won't give a timescale. I've been told to keep invoices and they may be able to reimburse the money I've missed out on (£200 so far).

It's very frustrating.
    • Katy_Lu
    • By Katy_Lu 6th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Katy_Lu
    Hi all, (forum newbie so sorry if not doing this right!) I am a Director of own limited Company and the company pays £123 towards childcare costs. Can I do the Tax Free Childcare scheme at the same time as the company contributiins? It's not a childcare voucher scheme.
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 6th Jul 17, 9:01 AM
    • 4,228 Posts
    • 6,931 Thanks
    Mupette
    Hi all, (forum newbie so sorry if not doing this right!) I am a Director of own limited Company and the company pays £123 towards childcare costs. Can I do the Tax Free Childcare scheme at the same time as the company contributiins? It's not a childcare voucher scheme.
    Originally posted by Katy_Lu
    So the employer deducts from your salary? if so then not really, when i say that, there is a transition of 3 months but you must leave the employer based one. You as the parent must get a letter from the childcare voucher provider to say when you left the employer based one as TFC require a letter of proof that you will not be receiving any more vouchers.

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• Katy_Lu
    • By Katy_Lu 6th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Katy_Lu
    I would need to double check with my accountant but from what I understand, the £124 (sorry not £123 as I said before) goes directly out of the business account as an expense. So from what you're saying it does need to be one or the other? I'm really not sure how to work out which would be the best option.
    • Marcwrona
    • By Marcwrona 7th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marcwrona
    I've signed up for tax free childcare however I've realised that the child tax credits and childcare vouchers I currently receive are almost as worthwhile. As my wife may have to stop working later this year can I cancel the Tax free childcare enrolment and revert back to receiving child tax credits and childcare vouchers , as if not I imagine I'd be left with nothing? I've not paid anything into the account yet and I've still not cancelled the childcare vouchers.

My main issue is how do I leave the tax free childcare scheme as there's no info about this.
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 7th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 4,228 Posts
    • 6,931 Thanks
    Mupette
    http://www.giveyourselfachoice.com/

have a look at this, hopefully this will help with information.

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• Mupette
    • By Mupette 8th Jul 17, 7:45 AM
    • 4,228 Posts
    • 6,931 Thanks
    Mupette
    I've signed up for tax free childcare however I've realised that the child tax credits and childcare vouchers I currently receive are almost as worthwhile. As my wife may have to stop working later this year can I cancel the Tax free childcare enrolment and revert back to receiving child tax credits and childcare vouchers , as if not I imagine I'd be left with nothing? I've not paid anything into the account yet and I've still not cancelled the childcare vouchers.

My main issue is how do I leave the tax free childcare scheme as there's no info about this.
    Originally posted by Marcwrona

Best bet is to call them.

Rejoining your employers CVS has to be done before April 2018, you will not be allowed to rejoin after that date.

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,268Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• RT @MSE_Deals: #BlackFriday UPDATE... We've spotted some of Currys' prices are cheaper online than in its stores, eg, Sonos Play 1 £149 onl?

• Follow Martin