Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • penguine
    • By penguine 14th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,087Posts
    • 3,122Thanks
    penguine
    Smoke alarms up to code?
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    Smoke alarms up to code? 14th Mar 17 at 3:51 PM
    We had our flat rewired in 2009 and the electrician installed smoke alarms wired to the mains. Our freeholder is now asking us to confirm that the alarms meet this standard:

Grade D - LD3 system based on BS5839-6

Does anyone have any idea how we can go about finding this out? I haven't been able to get in touch with the electrician who did the work. Do I need to get another electrician out to look at them?
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 14th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 18,094 Posts
    • 14,854 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    We had our flat rewired in 2009 and the electrician installed smoke alarms wired to the mains. Our freeholder is now asking us to confirm that the alarms meet this standard:

Does anyone have any idea how we can go about finding this out? I haven't been able to get in touch with the electrician who did the work. Do I need to get another electrician out to look at them?
    Originally posted by penguine
    Why don't you just confirm that they do meet that specification?
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 14th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 5,247 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    Have a look here http://www.thesafetycentre.co.uk/blog/bs5839_part_6_2004_fire_alarm_system_british_stand ard.php

. and see if your system is OK, if it is, jobs a good 'un

Any problems come back and I'll try and answer them.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 14th Mar 17, 5:33 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:33 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:33 PM

Originally posted by penguine
    Most likely Yes if freeholder requires cert/proof etc If you don’t know to what standard they were fitted chances are never had them tested serviced /maintained etc since installation 2009

Most manufacture recommendations 5-10 years (total life yearly test etc) you’ll need appropriate qualified person to check/re cert them e.g. electrician you’ll get nothing but pure guesses from a forum? If freeholders need to bring property up to standards insurance, its a HMO some rented etc they'll need to cover there arses ?
    Last edited by brightontraveller; 14-03-2017 at 7:13 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

993Users online

Martin's Twitter