Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: who else has had this happen

yes

50.00% • 1 votes

no

50.00% • 1 votes

You may not vote on this poll

2 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • jvh1978
    • By jvh1978 14th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jvh1978
    ppi claim
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    ppi claim 14th Mar 17 at 3:29 PM
    hi a recently put a claim in for ppi with a legal company who then told me yes i did have ppi which i did not ask for.. today i got a letter saying they would not be pursuing my claim as they thought it would be rejected. I then phoned up to find out why and they couldnt tell me except that they didnt think i could win. could anybody tell me why this is?
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 88,351 Posts
    • 53,566 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    today i got a letter saying they would not be pursuing my claim as they thought it would be rejected.
    Claims companies are required to only submit complaints if they feel there has been some wrongdoing and it is within the regulatory complaints timescales. Most CMCs dont both but a few do appear to follow the guidelines.

could anybody tell me why this is?
    Yes. We could if you gave us the information. Start with the following:

1 - Did you have PPI?
    2 - what debt is it covering (mortgage, loan or credit card or other)
    3 - when was it sold to you and whom by?
    4 - what are your complaint reasons?

These questions are important because it could be that you bought from a mortgage broker and its a regular premium MPPI. These are not generally regarded as a problem. Indeed, you can still buy regular premium MPPI today. Plus, mortgage brokers/advisers have much better audit trails. It could be that you bought before regulation started in Jan 2005. e.g. from a car dealer. They dont have to consider pre-regulation complaints. Or it could be that the firm no longer exists and as it is before regulation, there is no-one to complain to and you wont have access to the FOS or FSCS.

We can let you know what applies to you but we need info.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • jvh1978
    • By jvh1978 14th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jvh1978
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    Yes I did have ppi legal company have confirmed this. It was on a credit card. Can't remember how it was sold to me I might have applied through the post and I was in full time employment with a company that gave me sick pay if I was not able to attend work
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    • 88,351 Posts
    • 53,566 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    I was in full time employment with a company that gave me sick pay if I was not able to attend work
    If you applied on a non-advised method then that does not matter.

I suspect they are not pursuing it as you bought it rather than being sold it if you said you did it via the post. Why do you think you were missold?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • jvh1978
    • By jvh1978 14th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jvh1978
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    Because I def would not have wanted to be paying any more a month than I had to. I was in a stable and secure job that paid my full pay if I was off sick so there was no reason for me to take ppi. I don't think I even knew what it was
    • Vectis
    • By Vectis 14th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Vectis
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    ...there was no reason for me to take ppi...
    Originally posted by jvh1978

So, why did you?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 88,351 Posts
    • 53,566 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    Because I def would not have wanted to be paying any more a month than I had to. I was in a stable and secure job that paid my full pay if I was off sick so there was no reason for me to take ppi. I don't think I even knew what it was
    So, if it was a postal application, why did you apply for it?

Secondly, when you started seeing the payment on the statement, why did you not query it? Most people seeing things they did not authorise would be on the phone to the card provider straight away.
    • jvh1978
    • By jvh1978 14th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jvh1978
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    probably took it because i thought it would be rejected if i didnt !!! it was over 10 years ago and i cant remember. cant remember getting any statements either. i applied for the card to balance tranfer another card i think
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 88,351 Posts
    • 53,566 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    probably took it because i thought it would be rejected if i didnt !!! it was over 10 years ago and i cant remember. cant remember getting any statements either. i applied for the card to balance tranfer another card i think
    Did you ever borrow on the card (other than balance transfer)? If you didnt then you wouldn't have paid PPI.
    • jvh1978
    • By jvh1978 14th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jvh1978
    yes i remember maxing it out a few times
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Mar 17, 11:50 PM
    • 18,879 Posts
    • 9,027 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Why a poll?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 15th Mar 17, 12:09 AM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    It's neither here nor there what you thought at the time, all that matters is what can be proven. If you applied by post and ticked a box to say you wanted ppi then you miss bought rather than being miss sold so the firm are correct that your complaint probably won't succeed
    • societys child
    • By societys child 15th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 4,532 Thanks
    societys child
    . . . i did have ppi which i did not ask for.
    probably took it because i thought it would be rejected if i didnt!!!
    Make your mind up . . . which is it?

Claims co. know it's a lost cause, they don't like working for nothing!!!
    Last edited by societys child; 15-03-2017 at 9:07 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,444Posts Today

9,365Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin