Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thimble
    • By Thimble 14th Mar 17, 3:16 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Thimble
    Gazette Ad
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:16 PM
    Gazette Ad 14th Mar 17 at 3:16 PM
    I'm acting as executor and I'm about to place the Deceased Estates Notice in The Gazette.

The deceased was living in a care home, so he didn't own his home. Therefore, is there any advantage at all to placing a second notice in a local paper?

Note: I'm only a minor beneficiary of the will myself, so it's important that I protect myself from late claimants.
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 14th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    I'm acting as executor and I'm about to place the Deceased Estates Notice in The Gazette.

The deceased was living in a care home, so he didn't own his home. Therefore, is there any advantage at all to placing a second notice in a local paper?

Note: I'm only a minor beneficiary of the will myself, so it's important that I protect myself from late claimants.
    Originally posted by Thimble
    It makes no difference. Just use a paper local to the deceased's last place of residence.
    • Thimble
    • By Thimble 14th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thimble
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    Really? My understanding was that The Gazette ad was the important one (and the cheapest) and that the local paper was optional...
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 14th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    Really? My understanding was that The Gazette ad was the important one (and the cheapest) and that the local paper was optional...
    What I meant was that the OP should do is both. That way there can be no question of validity.
    • Thimble
    • By Thimble 14th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thimble
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    The Gazette's website allows you to also pay for local paper ad (£185.00 + VAT), but only recommends it if the estate includes a property there. However, it doesn't give a reason. Any ideas why? It's quite a bit of money to be spending if there's no advantage.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 14th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    The Gazette's website allows you to also pay for local paper ad (£185.00 + VAT), but only recommends it if the estate includes a property there. However, it doesn't give a reason. Any ideas why? It's quite a bit of money to be spending if there's no advantage.
    AIUI it is so that any debt owed in relation to the building can be claimed.
    • Thimble
    • By Thimble 14th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thimble
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    If that's the only reason for a local paper ad, I guess it's not needed in my case.
    • GazzaHT
    • By GazzaHT 14th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    GazzaHT
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    My mum didn't own her property, I didn't place an ad. I contacted all utilities and have final balances. Probate was granted and not expecting any further claims from people (small estate value)
    • Dr Crypto
    • By Dr Crypto 15th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Dr Crypto
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    We didn't bother for my Dad's estate. We were certain that he had no debts (and hadn't in the last 15 years prior to his death) so there's no issue with creditors coming out of the woodwork.
    • troubleinparadise
    • By troubleinparadise 15th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    troubleinparadise
    I'd been dealing with my Mum's finances in her last years, so I knew exactly what her accounts and other assets were, and there were no debts - and anything from prior years was long since settled. She did own her house, but there were no debts associated with that, other than utilities and council tax. So I didn't bother with either the local paper nor Gazette adverts as there weren't any possible claims. And nothing has arisen, as expected, in the years following.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 15th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    I'd been dealing with my Mum's finances in her last years, so I knew exactly what her accounts and other assets were, and there were no debts - and anything from prior years was long since settled. She did own her house, but there were no debts associated with that, other than utilities and council tax. So I didn't bother with either the local paper nor Gazette adverts as there weren't any possible claims. And nothing has arisen, as expected, in the years following.
    Originally posted by troubleinparadise
    I did the same.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 16th Mar 17, 6:06 AM
    • 634 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    chesky
    My son and daughter didn't bother with the Gazette either when they dealt with my ex-husband's estate, as they knew absolutely there would be no debts.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    • 28,006 Posts
    • 16,788 Thanks
    getmore4less
    if you are the only or a main beneficiary the add(s) is less relevant as the liability still exists with the same people.

For an executor that is not(or small) beneficiary it can be a valuable protection, as the costs comes from the estate worth doing.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/15-16/19/section/27
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,603Posts Today

8,144Users online

Martin's Twitter