Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mattymatty1313
    • By mattymatty1313 14th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mattymatty1313
    Gladstones Letter Before Claim
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    Gladstones Letter Before Claim 14th Mar 17 at 2:47 PM
    Today I received a letter before claim from Gladstones. I received a parking charge from Link Parking when I was dropping some stuff off at my girlfriends house (her tenancy agreement doesn't mention cars outside the house). I am a trainee solicitor so am familiar with procedure and format etc...but am unsure on the best cases to rely upon. I get the impression Gladstones are very incompetent 'solicitors' so would love to beat them in court.

I was wondering what the best issues are to raise in my defence and the most successful points to argue at trial are? I feel as though raising the notion of no loss to the land owner is the best one for me as nobody was really parked there at the time and it is residential. What is the precedent for this argument?

I would really appreciate any help and thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 6,079 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    Gladstones are a very low rent solicitor who try this scam on the vulnerable and unwary. I and many others have raised this with the SRA who are very familiar with their m.o.

Read some of the blogs on here, look for "you've been Gladstoned".

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/

Others will be along shortly to give you a list of their most spectacular fails.
    Last edited by The Deep; 14-03-2017 at 4:03 PM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 50,142 Posts
    • 63,511 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    Today I received a letter before claim from Gladstones. I received a parking charge from Link Parking when I was dropping some stuff off at my girlfriends house (her tenancy agreement doesn't mention cars outside the house). I am a trainee solicitor so am familiar with procedure and format etc...but am unsure on the best cases to rely upon. I get the impression Gladstones are very incompetent 'solicitors' so would love to beat them in court.

I was wondering what the best issues are to raise in my defence and the most successful points to argue at trial are? I feel as though raising the notion of no loss to the land owner is the best one for me as nobody was really parked there at the time and it is residential. What is the precedent for this argument?

I would really appreciate any help and thank you in advance.
    Originally posted by mattymatty1313
    Read post #2 of the NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' thread. It gives you example defences using the same court arguments you will rely on.
    Very very similar to Jopson v Home Guard (Appeal heard by Charles Harris QC last June). I received a parking charge from Link Parking when I was dropping some stuff off at my girlfriends house (her tenancy agreement doesn't mention cars outside the house).
    This summarises the cases relevant to residential car parks:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/residential-parking.html

You want the Jopson Appeal case from last year, and Pace v Noor and UKCP v Masterson I reckon, from here:

http://www.parking-prankster.com/case-law.html

Jopson is perfect, quote the QC 'life would be unworkable' if people couldn't have deliveries and things being dropped off at a block of flats without such drivers needing a permit for minor stops like that.

That Judge also defines 'parking' as longer term than a minor stop, as does Lord Neuberger in Moncrieff. Top Judge's opinion on parking being more longer term, would be persuasive as an argument.

HTH
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 15-03-2017 at 1:46 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,739Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter