Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 14th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 770Posts
    • 562Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    Aviva car insurance
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    Aviva car insurance 14th Mar 17 at 2:37 PM
    Just got off the phone to Aviva who told me something I never knew. Apparently, you can't just let a car insurance policy expire by taking it out with another company from the renewal date, you have to physically cancel the policy with Aviva. If you don't, they will automatically renew it for you and try and leech more money from your bank account. If you have had the foresight to cancel the direct debit to prevent this happening, they will put a marker on your credit file.
    I find the last bit a tad strange because, even though they charge you a whopping 17% for paying monthly, and send you a credit agreement showing the payments you have made, there is no mention of the account on any of the CRA's.
    What a load of twaddle. I renewed with LV, who were cheaper, answer the phone now and again and don't charge a premium for paying monthly.

My home insurance is up for renewal at the same time. It's a safe bet it won't be stayin with Aviva.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Page 1
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    A lot of policies are on auto renewal now, this would be on their T & C., when the renewal comes it would say something like they will take the premium on such a date unless this policy is cancelled.
    Aviva have been by far the best quote for me in the last 4 years and found their customer services to be good.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 14th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    A lot of policies are on auto renewal unless you specifically tell them you don't want that when taking out the policy, which I did. It still does not excuse the threats to put a marker on your credit file for a non-existent policy.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 14th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    marlot
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    Just got off the phone to Aviva who told me something I never knew...
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    This has been normal for the last few years - for all insurers - here's an article from five years ago.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2134597/Your-insurer-ripped-customers-duped-renewing-expensive-policies.html
    Last edited by marlot; 14-03-2017 at 9:34 PM.
    • zoso121
    • By zoso121 15th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    zoso121
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    When I took my Aviva Car & Home Insurance policies out, there was a tick box which was basically an opt out from auto renewal. This was through the Aviva web site. I've just received my car renewal quote & there is no auto renewal.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 15th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    When I took my Aviva Car & Home Insurance policies out, there was a tick box which was basically an opt out from auto renewal. This was through the Aviva web site. I've just received my car renewal quote & there is no auto renewal.
    Originally posted by zoso121
    I agree with what you're saying but, if you don't ring them and tell them you don't intend to renew, they'll do it anyway. That was my whole point, I should only have to ring if I want to buy insurance from them, not if I don't.
    • zoso121
    • By zoso121 16th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    zoso121
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    I agree with what you're saying but, if you don't ring them and tell them you don't intend to renew, they'll do it anyway. That was my whole point, I should only have to ring if I want to buy insurance from them, not if I don't.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    I think it may have something to do with paying monthly. There's certainly no recurring payment if you pay annually & opt out, which i do.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 31,513 Posts
    • 15,527 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    Nothing to do with paying on the drip.

When you took out the policy you will have agreed​ their ts & cs which will have included them auturenewing the policy.

If you didn't want to autorenew then they will have told you how to stop it happen in the policy documents and in the renewal notice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,399Users online

Martin's Twitter