Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Siarne
    • By Siarne 14th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Siarne
    Unsellable Property?
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    Unsellable Property? 14th Mar 17 at 2:34 PM
    We have recently put our house on the market and within 3 days we had an offer from a very enthusiastic buyer. We agreed a completion date of 29th March and surveys etc have been completed. Our buyers introduced themselves to the neighbours and was told by the landlord of the property next door that he is about to seek planning permission for an extension to house 30 to 40 residents in bedsits. Understandably the buyers immediately withdrew their offer and the estate agents now tell us that we basically have a difficult if not impossible task to sell our house. We are at a loss what to do. The landlord next door has only just bought the property and we have found him a difficult man. We will try to talk to him but I am not hopeful. With a planning application hanging over us we are in an impossible position. Has anybody got any advice?
Page 1
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 14th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    The landlord next door has only just bought the property and we have found him a difficult man. We will try to talk to him but I am not hopeful.
    Originally posted by Siarne
    Are you thinking of talking him out of his planning permission?

Is the planning application already in? If not, then hope you get another buyer who does not introduce themselves to the next door neighbour!
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 4,795 Posts
    • 4,432 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    It depends on what type of house you have etc., but if you really are in an area where planning consent is likely to be granted for bedsits, extensions etc....

.... perhaps you should investigate the option of selling your house to a developer, for conversion - perhaps it would be worth more as a development opportunity than as a family house.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 2,393 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    Firstly, an extension that will house 30-40 people is a seriously large building. Is that even possible? I smell bullsh!t would be surprised.

Secondly, what said new landlord wants to do, what he can actually afford to do, and what he's allowed to do are 3 entirely different things. His grand plans may be no more than idle dreams to be dashed on the rocks of financial realism, or planning regulations.

So thirdly, he hasn't put in any planning application. Even if he did, it could be modified to something far less scary, or simply rejected.

You may have lost this buyer, but nothing has actualy changed in terms of your place. It remains a saleable as before, and at the same price. Keep monitoring the situation (ie keep an eye out for planning applications) and revise the price if necessary. Ignore the agent and find another buyer - just try and keep them away from the neighbours! Hopefully all will be fine.

Alternatively, drop the price a bit now for a quick sale and get shot of it before matey-boy next door gets his act together. Then, if he does, and the council lets him, it's someone else's problem....
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 10,582 Posts
    • 14,528 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    How big is the house next door if it can be transformed into 30-40 bedsits with an extension? Is your neighbour's name Peter Rachman by any chance?

Could there be a chance that he wants to buy your property and is putting other buyers off?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 9,389 Posts
    • 7,357 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:03 PM

Could there be a chance that he wants to buy your property and is putting other buyers off?
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    My thoughts exactly
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 14th Mar 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 3,508 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:19 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:19 PM
    That's a hell of a size of an extension he must be building and will (presumably) have a significant effect on local residents, so there's no guarantee he'll actually get permission.

Are you desperate to move? Or can you hang on long enough to lodge an objection when he requests planning permission?
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 14th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    AFF8879
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    As has been said, if he's planning to house 30-40 separate studio apartments then clearly it must already be an apartment block of some description, not a 3-bed semi?? Very confusing....a picture of the next door property would be helpful.
    • Siarne
    • By Siarne 15th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Siarne
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    This has been an ongoing saga for some time. When the landlord first bought the house next door he submitted a planning application for 13 bedsits. We rallied other neighbours and opposed his application. He threatened that he would make life unpleasant for us if we did not agree to his plan. The council eventually agreed to 8 bedsits. He has informed our potential buyers that he is going to resubmit his application for 13 bedsits as well as an application for a double storey extension. Even this would not give him space for 45 residents so I agree that he was trying to scare our buyers off with the possible intention to buy the property cheap himself. He even said to them ' what family would want to live next door to 45 eastern Europeans'. The man is a bigot as well as a bully.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 15th Mar 17, 6:12 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,530 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    If all else fails you can always put your house into an auction to sell it.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Mar 17, 7:05 PM
    • 7,870 Posts
    • 4,691 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Nothing may come of it, but you could report him to the council , who may send in a dummy buyer to quiz him. (Second thoughts, that would come under a need to declare problem neighbours in your sales details, but you could enquire about his chances of success.))

If his original application was rejected, surely one for lots more residents will also be refused ?

I, too thought as above, that he wants to devalue your property then buy it at a bargain price.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 12,769 Posts
    • 35,101 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Nothing may come of it, but you could report him to the council , who may send in a dummy buyer to quiz him. (Second thoughts, that would come under a need to declare problem neighbours in your sales details, but you could enquire about his chances of success.))

If his original application was rejected, surely one for lots more residents will also be refused ?

I, too thought as above, that he wants to devalue your property then buy it at a bargain price.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I would tend to go with this approach personally - and have an informal word generally with the local councillor as to what they thought this characters chances of success were.

If I got a positive response from my informal approaches to the Council I'd dig my heels in and maybe wait a while to sell my house (as per normal and at the normal price - ie after this is all over and his application rejected).

If I got a negative response from the Council - I'd be inclined to go to Mr Trouble next door and say "You can buy my house if you like - at x% more than the proper price. Otherwise STF up and I shall just continue to stay here for however-long-it-takes until I get the proper price for my house (ie could be forever then...). Either way - you aren't going to get my house at a bargain price. Stick that in your pipe" phrased suitably but firmly.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 12,769 Posts
    • 35,101 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Added to be that I think there is a good chance he doesnt really want an extension at all. He may just be putting an application in for it in order to put the frighteners on you into selling to him at a bargain price.

He is probably hoping you are too worn down from the first fight with him to fight back one way or another.

An extension would cost him money/hassle/disruption to existing tenants.

I've had two Major Knockdown Fights in my life (in somewhat different contexts to this) and my experience is the opposition probably doesnt really expect to win the first time they fight you - but hopes to wear you down with two/three/four more minor fights and they then go in for a Killer Blow type fight. I think that's what he is doing here and this is meant to be Killer Blow. Personally I'd saved up enough "fight/energy" to respond to the Killer Blow fight they hoped would finish me off - and that was the end of that and, when they didnt win that one either, they backed off and stopped fighting trying to "walk all over me". That was my experience in two different contexts.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 16-03-2017 at 8:36 AM.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 16th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    Hoploz
    The trouble is, even if he has no plans at all, who wants to live next door to the horrid person anyway.
    • nicmyles
    • By nicmyles 16th Mar 17, 12:40 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    nicmyles
    Very sympathetic, we had a similar-ish problem when selling our flat last year. Bloke next door had put in 10 almost identical planning applications over the preceding two years to build four four-storey buildings to use as HMOs on his (very small) back garden. I think he may well have been angling to buy our property - he definitely offered to buy the ground floor flat's garden to further expand his footprint. He also started using the site as a rubbish dump, presumably in order to eventually buy our place for cheap.

All of his applications were rejected, but I'm afraid to say we did struggle for buyers as a result and ended up selling (not to him) well below what the flat was worth if this issue hadn't existed.

I'm surprised your agent said your place was unsaleable, though - literally nothing is unsaleable, it's just whether or not it's at a price you want. Our agents remained relentlessly positive throughout and had a range of arguments in place to alleviate potential buyers' concerns and make them feel they were getting a bargain. Perhaps look at changing your agents if you're not getting constructive suggestions and actions from them?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 7,870 Posts
    • 4,691 Thanks
    teddysmum
    The trouble is, even if he has no plans at all, who wants to live next door to the horrid person anyway.
    Originally posted by Hoploz

I don't think the OP stated whether he actually lives next door.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 16th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Put this in perspective. The property is not unsellable. It may be devalued with an ongoing development next door, but it's not unsellable. An unsellable property would be one that's collapsing or about to fall off a cliff, in which case either the underwriters re-build it, or if the insurance doesn't cover it you sell your land to a builder at a huge loss. Just re-market it but make sure you're armed with the facts. Speak to the landlord, ask for a timescale and details of his plans, and go from there.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    • 29,507 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I don't think the OP stated whether he actually lives next door.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Yeah the guy lives next door to the OP.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • vqmismatch
    • By vqmismatch 18th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    vqmismatch
    It doesn't sound unsellable just devalued.

I'm not sure there is anything you can realistically do about it either. If you need to be out soon and he keeps putting planning applications in buyers will either not be interested or you will have to look to sell to a similar chap.

If he really wanted to scupper your chances he could put planning permission in for your other side neighbour to convert for 'adult entertainment'.

Put it on the market for ten quid and I'm sure you will find a buyer, his game may well be to reduce the market rate you can get for whatever reason.
    • samspam
    • By samspam 19th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    samspam
    Have you got a for sale board? Get it taken down if so, so it doesn't look like it's up for sale and the horrid man next door can't look out for viewers, get the estate agent to conduct the viewings so they have less chance of knocking next door. Get a new agent who does not know the conversation you have had with yours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,343Posts Today

8,312Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin