Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sam M
    • By MSE Sam M 14th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 228Posts
    • 158Thanks
    MSE Sam M
    MoneySaving Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    MoneySaving Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country? 14th Mar 17 at 2:08 PM
    Poll started 14 March 2017

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Nicola Sturgeon has demanded a second referendum on Scottish independence. Last time, the question asked was: "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

If the referendum takes place, while only people in Scotland would vote, we wanted to see answers from across the UK. (We're aware some campaigning may take place with this poll so treat it as a bit of fun rather than an authoritative representation.)

Please choose one option in the relevant category.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 2
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 15th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    beardiedog
    ...and now we've got another annoying made up word "indyref2" to drive us bonkers over the next few years...
    • Arkletten
    • By Arkletten 15th Mar 17, 8:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Arkletten
    The problem with that is that membership of the EU becomes more problematic for Scotland, should Scotland still wish to remain part of the EU.

Early discussions in Brussels advised that if Scotland voted for independence within the two year time frame set by Article 50 then Brussels would consider that EU application wasn't actually necessary as Scotland had not ever left. It just makes it a smoother transition.
    • SCO
    • By SCO 15th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    SCO
    We already answered this question and the majority of the voters said NO.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id

Brexit we were told UK only way to stay in EU a lie, this poll says scots have changed their mind
    • georgelmitchell
    • By georgelmitchell 16th Mar 17, 12:08 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    georgelmitchell
    Independent
    Unfortunately Orkney and Shetland are part of scotland, Scotland isn't part of England. So I see a slight difference. Thank you George
    • mylor
    • By mylor 16th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mylor
    I am fed up with the 4 million Scottish electorate holding the 46 million UK electorate to ransom. Let us have a referendum to see whether the rest of the UK even want Scotland to remain part of UK. It is a shame they didn't vote for independence last time and we would be shot of them.
    • bobfalfa
    • By bobfalfa 16th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    bobfalfa
    It's good to know that the UK is England

I can no longer take part in this discussion
    • BJV
    • By BJV 16th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    BJV
    Am I being really stupid or having one of those days? I thought that Scotland voted in the Brexit vote ? I thought the vote was to leave the EU.

If Scotland is so unhappy let them go and stop wasting our time and money.

More money wasted, more time and for what?

Until Scotland gets the result the want they will stamp their feet and not go to bed! Gosh sounds like school ground politics. Its my ball and you can not play with it until you do X Y and Z.

Scotland voted to remain part of the Uk. What next we have the vote at again and again?

I love Scotland and honestly think if you have the weather its beauty equally some of the most amazing countries in the world. But enough now. Go or shut up and get one with it.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • BJV
    • By BJV 16th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    BJV
    England/Wales/NI should have its own referendum whether they want Scotland to be part of UK exactly 7 days before Scottish referendum.

However, the crankie can choose which option to agree with.

1. Scotland remains or leaves union based on BOTH what rUK says and Scotland says (i.e. if rUK says Remain and Scotland says Out then Scotland stays in union)

2. Scotland remains or leaves union based on EITHER of what rUK says and Scotland says (i.e. Scotland is OUT if rUK says Out and Scotland says Remain).
    Originally posted by movilogo
    Seems the best and fairest way to me.

P.s movilogo Best quote all day!
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 16th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    prosaver
    I hope Scotland vote to leave, good luck.
    we need Trump tho, to build the wall, haha

I wonder if Gina Miller is going to stick her nose in, she not English and as a UK citizen or British Guiana could have the right too.??
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • morgansandcoke
    • By morgansandcoke 16th Mar 17, 2:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    morgansandcoke
    Loaded Poll
    MSE you should be ashamed of yourself!!

You have used inflamatory language when introducing this poll that can only serve to stir up annimosity between Scotland and the rest of the UK, and Yes voters and No voters.

Nicola Sturgeon has not "demanded" a second referendum as you suggest. This is what she actually said :-

"So I can confirm today that next week I will seek the authority of the Scottish Parliament to agree with the UK government the details of a section 30 order - the procedure that will enable the Scottish Parliament to legislate for an independence referendum."

She is quite clearly asking permission from the Scottish Government to ask permission from the UK Government to hold a referendum.

Regardless of anyone's opinion on whether or not a second referendum should go ahead or not, Nicola Sturgeon's actions can in no way be considered a demand. She has strong beliefs and her party were elected to Government with the voter's knowledge that if the UK voted to leave the EU then this would be a likely scenario. SNP do not have a majority Government and so are in no position to demand anything. Instead they have to seek the approval of other elected members before they can take any action.

The word you should have used is "requested".

I am not sure how I feel about a second referendum but the portrayal of this woman as someone stamping her feet and demanding what she wants is unfair and unjust, especially from an organisation which is supposed to be impartial.

You have done yourseves a disservice at a time when fake news and political spin have left the public disgusted with the media and governing establishments. You have painted yourselves no better than they are.
    • morgansandcoke
    • By morgansandcoke 16th Mar 17, 3:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    morgansandcoke
    Am I being really stupid or having one of those days? I thought that Scotland voted in the Brexit vote ? I thought the vote was to leave the EU.

Until Scotland gets the result the want they will stamp their feet and not go to bed! Gosh sounds like school ground politics. Its my ball and you can not play with it until you do X Y and Z.

Scotland voted to remain part of the Uk. What next we have the vote at again and again?

I love Scotland and honestly think if you have the weather its beauty equally some of the most amazing countries in the world. But enough now. Go or shut up and get one with it.
    Originally posted by BJV
    Scotland is a country of approximately 5 million people. Based on our population, geography and industry we have very different needs from the rest of the uk which contains approximately 60 million people.

Yes we voted in the EU referendum, with an overwhelming majority choosing to remain. However, as we have less that 10% of the UK population our voice was drowned out.

Most people in Scotland do not want to leave the UK however, an ever increasing number want our government to have the power to make all decisions effecting Scotland based on the needs of the Scottish people and not have things decided for us based on what is best for the rest of the UK.

On the point of the first referendum. One of campaigns run by the NO camp was that the only way for Scotland to remain part of the EU was to remain part of the UK. We were told that if we voted Yes then we would immediately be kicked out of the EU and this had a huge impact on how people voted. Now we are being dragged out of the EU when we have quite clearly demonstrated we want to stay. The electorate was manipulated and lied to.

It's not about Scotland not getting what it wants, it's about having the power of choice over things that effect our country without the overpowering influence of a Government that doesn't have our interests at heart.
    • MissMonkeyMoo
    • By MissMonkeyMoo 16th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 1,491 Thanks
    MissMonkeyMoo
    Sturgeon has no respect for the will of the Scottish people. She didn't accept the outcome of the first referendum and then started bleating about how Scotland doesn't want to leave the eu after the brexit result. This is someone who clearly has no respect for democracy or how it works.

As for Scotland, if the people want independence by all means have it. No disrespect, but the rest of the uk will then be able to stop subsidising Scotland and pour that money back into our economy. I think Scotland will find it very difficult to branch out on their own and so I think it is the wrong decision for them to go but the right decision for the rest of the uk.
    • whynot21
    • By whynot21 16th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    whynot21
    If Nicola Sturgeon wants Scotland to be Independant and bankrupt then let them have another referendum. Why not let the rest of the UK vote as well? It has become very tiresome listening to her bleating on and on. If she wants to go we should let her and spend the money we will save on the NHS.

She should realise that the rest of the UK will then no longer have to subsidise Scotland and she will need to get her priorities right and her 'books' in order.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 16th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 5,521 Posts
    • 6,924 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    If she really wants out of the UK.
    Campaign for a referendum of the whole UK, why should we not have a say as members of the coalition known as the UK.

I can guarantee one thing, the English see it as a bottomless money drain and she will get her independence.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • Bumblies
    • By Bumblies 17th Mar 17, 11:50 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Bumblies
    Anything to stop the whinging
    Give them a vote or better still just give them independence, anything to stop the constant whinging from a First Minister who does not seem to understand the basic principle of democracy and seems to be committed to repeated votes until the electorate "gets it right".
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 17th Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    movilogo
    On the point of the first referendum. One of campaigns run by the NO camp was that the only way for Scotland to remain part of the EU was to remain part of the UK. We were told that if we voted Yes then we would immediately be kicked out of the EU
    Which kind of shows Scotland will look forward to either rUK or EU for their handouts. If Scotland can't take it on the chin of its own, then better not meddle with rUK.

And once Scotland becomes independent and suffers as a consequence, will there be another referendum in few years to see if they want to be part of UK again?
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
    • foommen
    • By foommen 19th Mar 17, 7:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    foommen
    I know this is called the Scottish Independence referendum surely it is more accurately a vote to 'break up ' the United Kingdom. We are all British Passport holders. As this could change the fundamentals of national identity - why - constitutionally - do not all members of the Uk have a vote on this .... Surely this is undemocratic? that Less than 3.5% of the total Population can vote to change the fundamentals of a country of 64 + Million people - I don't understand. Can some one explain to me why I do not have some say in the future of my country ... I am not English I am British?
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 19th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    stevenhp1987

Originally posted by BJV
    Scotland voted to remain in the EU (as did N.Ireland and Gibraltar). They did not vote to leave.

They are being taken out of the EU against their will and independence is their only way to enforce the will of the Scottish people (remain in the EU).
    • cmmungall502
    • By cmmungall502 19th Mar 17, 10:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cmmungall502
    Referendums referendums
    Scotland voted to remain part of UK. Just because the UK is now doing something you don't like doesn't mean you get to vote again. The UK (which still includes Scotland) voted to leave the EU. There are many 'pockets' of the UK that voted to remain and they are not all now trying to become independent from the UK (though it might not be a bad idea`!) Nicola Sturgeon's argument for a new independence referendum is supposedly all about remaining in EU. Isn't she therefore choosing the wrong referendum to try and re-run. Surely she should be campaigning for a re-run of the EU referendum? But any politician even suggesting this would be perceived as going against the democratic will of the people that have already voted. Which is exactly what Nicola Sturgeon is doing by requesting a second independence referendum. And exactly what Theresa May would be doing if she allowed it to happen.
    • BaldacchinoR
    • By BaldacchinoR 22nd Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    BaldacchinoR
    Nicola Sturgeon is very deceptive because she talks as if the decision to hold another Scottish referendum is hers, when it isn't; because she talks as if Scotland has not had a say when it has in 2014 and they said 'No' but she won't accept that; because she won't accept that the UK, i.e. including Scotland, voted to leave the EU; and because there never was a separate referendum on Scotland's membership of the EU yet she blatantly tries to act as if there was or should have been. Exactly the kind of behaviour which most people despise politicians for - twisting the truth every-but-which-way she can to support her arguments. But she doesn't fool most people most of the time!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,428Posts Today

9,512Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin