Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 14th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    • 634Posts
    • 758Thanks
    ibizafan
    Cheapest way of using the Tube this Sunday.
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    Cheapest way of using the Tube this Sunday. 14th Mar 17 at 1:39 PM
    I'm quite confused about the most cost effective way of using the tube on Sunday when we go down to London for a concert. I have a senior railcard, although my husband doesn't. We are literally only going from Euston to Gloucester Road station and back again. I don't go to London that often so haven't bothered with an Oyster card. Do we just get a day travel card or am I missing something? We have already bought our train tickets so can't incorporate the tube journey into the ticket as we sometimes do.
Page 1
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 14th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 16,858 Posts
    • 27,379 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    From https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/single-fare-finder

It's £2.40 each way using an oyster card or contactless card. Zone 1 only trips are capped at £6.60 a day

So, it'll cost you both £9.60 on the day, total. If you buy 2 one day travel cards it will cost you £24.60

If you haven't got contactless cards, you're best buying an Oyster card. You can get the cost of the card (£5) refunded after your travel, and the money left on it refunded.
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 14th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    Easiest way is just to use a contactless bank card, tap the card on the reader and it is £2.40 each way. So £4.80 in total per person. A travelcard (with senior railcard discount) would be £8.10, so if you are only making the two journeys each then its no cheaper.

Alternativly get an Oyster card (£5 deposit plus a top up) and ask a member of staff near the ticket machines to add the railcard discount and your travel will be capped at £4.35 for the day in zone 1. BUT this is only worth it if you are coming to London again or can be bothered to get the Oyster deposit of £5 refunded.

So easiest - contactless bank card (one per person), will cost £4.80 Euston to Gloucester road and back.
    Next easiest if you don't have contactless cards is to get a travelcard at £8.10 each (with railcard discount).
    Cheapest (ignoring the deposit) is Oyster with railcard discount added, maximum fare will be £4.35 but there is also the £5 deposit.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 14th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    Thanks both. I've just been down to our local station to collect the train tickets and asked the same question at the ticket office and got the same answer. Thanks for replying so promptly. Contactless cards it is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

3,208Users online

Martin's Twitter