Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sarahsarahsarah
    • By Sarahsarahsarah 14th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sarahsarahsarah
    GB Energy underpayment
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    GB Energy underpayment 14th Mar 17 at 12:46 PM
    I switched from GB Energy the week before they went under and were taken over by CoOp. My switch was all completed, my last bill paid and my refund received in my bank account by the end of January.

This week I received an email from them saying that there was an error on my last bill (their end) and that I now owe them more money. They sent bank details etc of where to pay. Today I received a bill from them. It's for less than £10, but I still feel like this is a bit off?

What are my rights here? Do I have to pay this or is this a similar situation to when a shop puts the wrong price on the shelf for something and has to honour that price?

Thanks for any help or insight!
Page 1
    • phillw
    • By phillw 14th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    phillw
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    What are my rights here? Do I have to pay this or is this a similar situation to when a shop puts the wrong price on the shelf for something and has to honour that price?
    Originally posted by Sarahsarahsarah
    Shops don't have to honour the price, although some shops will do that. Energy providers aren't supposed to go back more than 12 months to correct their mistakes.

You can complain to the energy provider, but unless they agree to waive the charge then you should pay it. Otherwise they'll pass the debt on and record an unpaid debt on your credit file.
    • Sarahsarahsarah
    • By Sarahsarahsarah 14th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarahsarahsarah
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    Thanks for the advice.. guess I'll be giving them a call to try and get them to cancel that bill, and failing that will be paying... grudgingly!
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 14th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    Before you pay it ask them to account for why you owe it. When you are satisfied then you pay it.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 15th Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    Have you not kept copies of bills or statements so you can check whether the charge is justified or not. Ask them for a statement for details.

I've still got a copies of all my GB Energy monthly statements, including the final one and they all tally.

I also still have all my First Utility statements as well from previous years, just in case they want to jump out of the woodwork. The even more previous ones from Scottish Power are also still filed away, just in case

It's not difficult to download and save the PDF files - you don't have to print them out, just save them
    Last edited by matelodave; 15-03-2017 at 8:26 AM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Sarahsarahsarah
    • By Sarahsarahsarah 15th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarahsarahsarah
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    Thanks all for the sound advice! I do keep all the statements so yes I'll have a look at those and ask them where the extra came from.. I also keep my own notes on any phone calls I have with any utility company so I can see what was discussed when - very helpful as they often refer to their "notes" that seem to miss masses of important information!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

69Posts Today

3,158Users online

Martin's Twitter