Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misswoosie
    • By misswoosie 14th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 33Thanks
    misswoosie
    Building reg's for conservatory
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    Building reg's for conservatory 14th Mar 17 at 12:09 PM
    We're in the process of buying a home which has a conservatory on the back if the kitchen.
    According to the vendor,the current conservatory was built in 2015 and replaced an older conservatory.
    The vendor didn't declare that the house had been extended on the property information form.. Eventually they produced a guarantee for the conservatory but when we asked about building regs we danced around for a couple of weeks and now the vendors solicitor is saying that they've asked the vendor the questions regarding the criteria for conservatories to be exempt from building regs and they say that the conservatory meets all of those requirements.
    From https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/10/conservatories/3

conservatories are normally exempt from building regulations when:
    They are built at ground level and are less than 30 square metres in floor area.
    The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality walls, doors or windows.
    There should be an independent heating system with separate temperature and on/off controls.
    Glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the applicable building regulations requirements (see below).

Our understanding of this is that the conservatory needs to be separated from the kitchen by an external quality door and this isn't the case.
    Additionally, the heating system is a radiator connected to the main combi system although it does have a TRV, but if you just wanted to heat the conservatory then you would have to go round the whole house and turn off all the other radiators, so I'm not sure if the heating requirement is met.

Not too bothered about the heating element as we could get around that, but ,apart from the fact that building regs haven't been met and the future hassle that might bring, we're concerned that it will be colder than the rest of the house and it can't be closed off.

We'd asked for a reduction in price of £800 towards the cost of fitting UPVC patio doors.
    Interested to know if people feel we're correct in our interpretation of the exemption reg's.
Page 2
    • misswoosie
    • By misswoosie 15th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    misswoosie
    Nice negotiating, you got 0.01% off the asking price.
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat
    Apart from the fact that your maths is incorrect , we were negotiating here based on the cost of installing external grade doors/door.
    The agreed sales price now is 4.9% lower than the asking price .
    • dgtazzman
    • By dgtazzman 15th Mar 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    dgtazzman
    I'm getting electric underfloor heating in my conservatory. It was a special offer from the company building it for February orders free if additional charge...

As I have solar panels, I am not that fussed over the fact it electric.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 23,749 Posts
    • 66,086 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    I'm getting electric underfloor heating in my conservatory. It was a special offer from the company building it for February orders free if additional charge...

As I have solar panels, I am not that fussed over the fact it electric.
    Originally posted by dgtazzman
    Electric underfloor heating won't heat much more than the floor.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 23,749 Posts
    • 66,086 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    just added a bit on heating. joined heating makes it part of the thermal envelope of the building, and within the scope of regs.
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    My comment about attempting to heat the town via their central heating and a polycarb roof must have been a bit too cryptic.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 15th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 3,749 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    The doors are the only issue.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    My comment about attempting to heat the town via their central heating and a polycarb roof must have been a bit too cryptic.
    and your comment that the doors were the ONLY issue, was not cryptic, or right
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 15th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    Electric underfloor heating won't heat much more than the floor.
    Electric underfloor heating mats can be very effective, can have a much higher heat output than wet underfloor heating, up to 200 W/m2. With an insulation sheet below would be a good solution for a conservatory.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 23,749 Posts
    • 66,086 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    and your comment that the doors were the ONLY issue, was not cryptic, or right
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    Thanks, I've edited to say main issue. I did talk about the heating and that issue is primarily addressed by the simple matter of turning the radiator off.
    • Bexleygurl
    • By Bexleygurl 8th Jun 17, 7:08 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bexleygurl
    Hello all, I am not sure where to post. But please need desperate help. We were very close to exchanging contracts when we realised the seller does not have building regs for chimney breast removal which has been done around 22-25 years ago. I ofcourse now understand that we could have taken an indemnity insurance and moved ahead but I have already contacted the council.
    We asked the seller to provide us with building regs. He has denied saying that the work is too old to get building regs.
    Now obviously the council has on email that or property doesn't have building regs for the removal. All other documents are in place.

We can't apply for building regs until and unless we move in. The council has confirmed that it won't be a problem. But there might be additional work or cost involved if this wasn't done properly.

We really like the house. What do you suggest we do?
    1. Ask for a reduction in price by 20K

Do you think the council does send enforcement actions even though it knows now for some works as long as 25 years ago!

Please help!!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 8th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    • 23,749 Posts
    • 66,086 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    If even the works to provide extra support cost about £2k or less, how can you negotiate £20k off the asking price?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 23,114 Posts
    • 88,454 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Post 28 is a duplicate:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5661633

and the poster has 2 IDs!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • ivaleeharris
    • By ivaleeharris 19th Aug 17, 6:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ivaleeharris
    We opened up the wall between the conservatory and kitchen. Put bifold doors in and got building control to sign off the work. Then took the doors off and stuck them in the garage.
    We also have radiators connected to the main central heating but have also put in underfloor heating, but didn't need it in the winter. The conservatory has a half height brick wall running all the way around except for the patio doors. The polycarbonate room was converted to a insulated tiled roof by the previous owners. Its plenty warm enough and much nicer with no doors to the kitchen.
    Originally posted by Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000, When you brought the house did the previous owner had building control to sign off the roof? Would like to know as I want to do the same to mine. Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

78Posts Today

2,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin