Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grouchy
    • By Grouchy 14th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 344Posts
    • 472Thanks
    Grouchy
    TV Ariel cable
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    TV Ariel cable 14th Mar 17 at 11:53 AM
    Hello

Wondering if anyone has any ideas. Sitting room has TV socket on one side of the room and I want one on the opposite side and looking for sleek solutions.

Room has solid wood floors and a skirting. Do not particularly want to lift the skirting as the walls and general decor are fresh.

I've looked at a few alternatives.

Trunking, do not want this.
    As mentioned, removing skirting and inserting, not keen on this.

Is there an ultra thin TV ariel cable that could be attached in a nice way to the skirting (which has a semi-circular inward bevel at one point) and run round?

Are there possible solutions I haven't thought of? Only want Freeview.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 14th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    Nit-pick - don't know who makes 'aerial' - Unilever, or Proctor and Gamble but they have nothing to do with TV cables, only washing detergents!
    You are probably thinking of TV (co-axial) aerial cable.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Itsgottabedone
    • By Itsgottabedone 14th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Itsgottabedone
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    You don't say how or where the cable enters the room from outside. Would it be possible to re-route it so that it enters on or near to the wall where you plan your TV to be?
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 14th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 6,362 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    ....Are there possible solutions I haven't thought of? Only want Freeview....
    Originally posted by Grouchy
    You have a number of options.

You could reroute the cable externally. Beware of too long a run.

You could reposition the aerial so that it is closer to the desired room entry point. (Or install a new aerial)

You could install a satellite dish and watch Freesat rather than Freeview. Google for the difference in channel availability. Freesat installations are not particularly expensive
    Who'll remember the ones who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge of smoke against the sky
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 909 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    You don't say how or where the cable enters the room from outside. Would it be possible to re-route it so that it enters on or near to the wall where you plan your TV to be?
    Originally posted by Itsgottabedone
    Exactly. The best solution I can see is an external re-routing. Otherwise, run the coax in the semi-circular hollow you mention and paint it to match the skirting (or buy white cable if the skirting is already white).

In my experience, things like this become unnoticeable after a while, a bit like the spaghetti of cables I can see behind my glass TV stand. It bugged me for a few weeks but I don't notice it any more.
    • Grouchy
    • By Grouchy 14th Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Grouchy
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    Thanks for the helpful replies, perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

Where the point comes into the flat is an external wall (it is communal so cannot be moved externally). Where I want the TV is on the opposite wall. I guess the cable run would be about 15-18 ft around the skirting.

Is there a special thin or flat(ish) cable available for these type of workarounds running along the skirting in a discrete way? BTW the skirting is white and the walls off-white.

As to Freesat, I don't watch much TV so Freeview is more than enough.

Thanks.
    • nofoollikeold
    • By nofoollikeold 14th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    nofoollikeold
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    I assume you've tried an indoor aerial without success?

By its nature, coaxial cable must be round, so there's no flat, thin, coax.

Have a look at http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/miniature-coax-cable-priced-per-metre-xr88v. I don't know if its high enough quality, but most "normal" coax is about 7mm in diameter. If you try it I'd suggest connecting it before fixing, so if it doesn't work you've done no damage to the d!cor.
    • marc81
    • By marc81 14th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    marc81
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    A rounded trunking sat just above the skirting could look ok, would blend in with white skirting. Something like this...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/d-line-mini-decorative-trunking-white-30-x-15mm-x-2m-pack-of-6/73287
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 14th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 5,930 Posts
    • 5,128 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    Hi,

have a look on ebay for 'white aerial extension cable', something like this, 5m for about £5,

and tuck it in round the skirting, as already said, after a while it wont be noticed.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Bob_Dean
    • By Bob_Dean 14th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Bob_Dean
    Try thinking outside the box
    How fast is your internet?

If it is fast enough you could ditch the areiel cable alltogether and straem all your TV through the internet via a laptop, console or delicated device. You might need to use homeplugs to connec the divice to your router if you can not use WiFi
    • Grouchy
    • By Grouchy 14th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Grouchy
    Thanks again. I'm not sure about TV via internet but will look into that possibility.

Although the trunking doesn't appeal, I shall look at that now as that link shows a fairly innocuous way of doing it, it will much depend on the trunking itself and how it will fit with/against the skirting and how much it will be visible (the room is a very modern sparce furnished type of look, so skirting is very visible and not hidden behind furniture etc).

The other thing still is to try out the cable, with double sided sticky tape to attach, embedded slightly in the semi circle indent in the skirting carving, I shall have to buy a short length to see how neat it looks.

So two options that are open to me to look at.

Thanks
    • stator
    • By stator 14th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 5,625 Posts
    • 3,595 Thanks
    stator
    This company make all sorts of trunking that is designed to blend with the skirting board. If that isn't good enough you'll have to remove the skirting and replace it with something hollow instead. No other options

The floor trim probably looks best

http://www.d-line-it.co.uk/in-the-home/products
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 14th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    keith969
    You can buy skirting with a cable rebate so the cable is hidden, e.g.: http://www.skirtech.co.uk/Rebate_Option.html
    Days are made with waterfall colours
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 14th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 7,320 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Leave a Freeview box near the existing aerial socket and use a video sender to send the picture/sound wirelessly to the TV in the new location?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Ainsley1
    • By Ainsley1 14th Mar 17, 11:44 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Ainsley1
    What you could use (though not really intended for the purpose) is rg174/u cable. It is really designed for miniature connectors type sma or smb or smc but if you can get some solderable standard antenna via connectors this might meet your need.
    Not located it tonight in a white sheeth (you might have to paint to match walls) but it is certainly thin. Widely available as an example see http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/coax-rg174-au-50andohm-cable-black-priced-per-metre-xs62s

Now, not ideal as bending radius is not tiny but the cable is only just under 3mm diameter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,500Posts Today

7,738Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin