Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • breaking_free
    • By breaking_free 14th Mar 17, 11:47 AM
    • 303Posts
    • 562Thanks
    breaking_free
    Kitchen installation - quote on the high side?
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:47 AM
    Kitchen installation - quote on the high side? 14th Mar 17 at 11:47 AM
    What would a reasonable quote be for the following (installation only - electrics, tiling floor, etc are separate quotes plus I'm doing all the making good myself):

The quote is for a Howden's kitchen installation, so all units are pre-assembled.

Existing units have already been ripped out so the fitter is starting with a completely clean slate.
    Kitchen is 3.60m x 3.17m.
    Units to be fitted on the floor are 3 double base units, drawer unit and 4 single base units.
    On the walls are 1 single unit and two double units.

The fitter needs to:
    - box in the boiler pipes
    - install a double sink
    - reconnect the washing machine
    - fit the worktops, plinths, and cornices
    - install the electric oven and put up a splashback
    - install the extractor and vent it outside (requires bashing a hole through the wall)
    - install a gas hob (so a gas certified tradie will be called in during the job, included in price)

One chap is doing the whole fitting job and reckons it will take 5 days. His boss has quoted 'around £2000'. That's £400 per day (including the gas safe certified work).
    Seems steep to me, but I've never had a kitchen fitted before.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by breaking_free; 14-03-2017 at 5:24 PM.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Page 1
    • cddc
    • By cddc 14th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 1,308 Thanks
    cddc
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    May need to bring other electrics up to part p levels as well.

Not a bargain, but not outrageous either, would be my initial general view. Depends where you live, as labour costs vary hugely across the country.

I would get at least one more quote though.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 16th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    Get a joiner to do it. Seriously... forget 'kitchen fitter'.

My joiner did our kitchen in 3 days. That's something like 12-14 units, built in this and that, build a full bulkhead around the top of the units, also removed and boarded up a doorway. This was one man on his own. He then spent a day doing flooring afterwards.

I expect you can get the job done properly for £1k if you find a local joiner who does kitchen fits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

308Posts Today

3,786Users online

Martin's Twitter