Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 14th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 3,327Posts
    • 2,104Thanks
    S0litaire
    Get-Iplayer broken don't use..
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    Get-Iplayer broken don't use.. 14th Mar 17 at 11:41 AM
    Just a heads up.

Think their are a few people here that use the programme so...

The BBC have temporarily shutdown (we hope!!!) a feed that Get-Iplayer uses to grab show information from.

So at the moment the programme won't download schedules.

You can download programs directly if you know it's PID

Read a bit more here :

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/announcement-20.html
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
Page 1
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 16th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 6,894 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    Back now apparently
    https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/announcement-21.html
    • mro
    • By mro 16th Mar 17, 11:31 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    mro
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:31 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:31 PM
    Just a heads up.

Think their are a few people here that use the programme so...

The BBC have temporarily shutdown (we hope!!!) a feed that Get-Iplayer uses to grab show information from.

So at the moment the programme won't download schedules.

You can download programs directly if you know it's PID

Read a bit more here :

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/announcement-20.html
    Originally posted by S0litaire
    This happens occasionally, I suspect something breaks on BBC end that get_iplayer uses. You couldn't download programmes even with PID, as well as schedules.

You can see radio schedules on BBC website & get the programme PIDs there, just go to the programme or hover over web link to see the PID.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 17th Mar 17, 12:54 AM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    S0litaire
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:54 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:54 AM
    This happens occasionally, I suspect something breaks on BBC end that get_iplayer uses. You couldn't download programmes even with PID, as well as schedules.

You can see radio schedules on BBC website & get the programme PIDs there, just go to the programme or hover over web link to see the PID.
    Originally posted by mro
    That's ok for indevidual downloads, but it brakes the automated feature of the pvr function.

I've a cron job to automatically download overnight
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 11,552 Posts
    • 6,464 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    Didn't know this was a thing, can't imagine the BBC are very happy with it.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 17th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    S0litaire
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    Didn't know this was a thing, can't imagine the BBC are very happy with it.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    They are ok with it (in a don't ask don't tell kind of way) they know it exists and have helped the original developer in the past.

But the fact the developer has made sure that nothing in the software circumvents the geo-location restrictions of the BBC websites (if you're outside the UK the program can't download anything from the BBC servers.) means the BBC puts up with it.

Remember we've paid to watch these shows already(if you have a valid TV license that is!) this is just another method to get them.
    Laters

Sol

• buglawton
    • By buglawton 17th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 6,894 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    There used to be a standalone PC program that was easier to install and more point-and click for radio only I think. Radio Downloader? It got firmly told to desist by the BBC. Go figure.
    • mro
    • By mro 12th May 17, 2:15 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    mro
    • 12th May 17, 2:15 AM
    • 12th May 17, 2:15 AM
    Is get_iplayer for radio programmes working ?

Noticed playing radio programmes today, I got notice that you will have to login sometime in future, so seems BBC is making changes which may affect get_iplayer.

v2.97 on desktop Pc stopped working yesterday Thu morning, was working Wed evening into Thu.

v2.94 on laptop stopped working end of April (Mon 24/4/17 late evening)
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 12th May 17, 8:45 AM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    S0litaire
    • 12th May 17, 8:45 AM
    • 12th May 17, 8:45 AM
    Is get_iplayer for radio programmes working ?

Noticed playing radio programmes today, I got notice that you will have to login sometime in future, so seems BBC is making changes which may affect get_iplayer.

v2.97 on desktop Pc stopped working yesterday Thu morning, was working Wed evening into Thu.

v2.94 on laptop stopped working end of April (Mon 24/4/17 late evening)
    Originally posted by mro
    You need the latest version. Their was a major change on how it gathers programme information.

Go here and get version 3.01
    https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/index.php
    Laters

Sol

• mro
    • By mro 12th May 17, 8:25 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    mro
    You need the latest version. Their was a major change on how it gathers programme information.

Go here and get version 3.01
    https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/index.php
    Is this all working ok before I upgrade ?

I thought my one might have started working earlier today, when I changed MODE switch FLASHAACLOW to HLSAACLOW as I download lower quality streams to get smaller files.

It worked for while, then seems to have stopped, now get "Segment not available from server" error after it downloads for a while, very odd, as it was working for a while.

3714kbps 5.3% 00:02:04 remaining
    Recording: 3.23MB / 59.51MB 3784kbps 5.4% 00:02:01 remaining

ERROR: Segment not available from server (52)
    ERROR: Segment URL: http://cp401492-vh.akamaihd.net/i/prod_af_mp4_heaacv1_48/iplayerstream/p04xr3k8_p04xf8m4_1492065863222.mp4/segment52_0_a.ts
    ERROR: Download aborted at 510 secs in programme
    INFO: skipping hlsaaclow1 mode
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 12th May 17, 9:00 PM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    S0litaire
    Everything is working fine! I've been running it for the past few days with no problems.

The "segment not available" is an error at BBC's end. Usually they fix it quite quickly once it's spotted.

Leave it for an hour or so and try again.
    Laters

Sol

• mro
    • By mro 13th May 17, 1:49 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    mro
    Everything is working fine! I've been running it for the past few days with no problems.

The "segment not available" is an error at BBC's end. Usually they fix it quite quickly once it's spotted.

Unfortunately I have had this problem with same error (server (52), segment52) all day Fri since early afternoon into evening with all my downloads, hasn't gone away.
    • mro
    • By mro 16th May 17, 2:41 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    mro

I'm still getting this segment problem on most downloads, some downloads are ok.

I upgraded get_iplayer on my laptop to v3.01, still getting segment problem.

I am using command:

get_iplayer --pid=p04yx8rj --type=radio --mode=hlsaaclow

Could someone try this command to see if it downloads or fails.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th May 17, 3:01 PM
    • 8,214 Posts
    • 6,184 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    I'm still getting this segment problem on most downloads, some downloads are ok.

I upgraded get_iplayer on my laptop to v3.01, still getting segment problem.

I am using command:

get_iplayer --pid=p04yx8rj --type=radio --mode=hlsaaclow

Could someone try this command to see if it downloads or fails.
    Originally posted by mro
    Tried on my fedora got
    ERROR: Download aborted at 570 secs in programme
    INFO: skipping hlsaaclow1 mode
    ERROR: Failed to record 'Paul Miller Soul Show - 448. 16/04/2017 (p04yx8rj)'
    but then ..... without mode= then I got success but of course it is 6x larger HTH
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 25,728 Posts
    • 10,228 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Use the PVR manager.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 17th May 17, 8:51 AM
    • 2,533 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    anotheruser
    I wonder how this will cope when the BBC enforce sign-ins...
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 17th May 17, 10:40 AM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    S0litaire
    I wonder how this will cope when the BBC enforce sign-ins...
    Originally posted by anotheruser
    Very easliy.

get_iplayer *had* an option in the past to store and use a username and password and store a login cookie for easy access.

it just needs turned on or added back in and it should be good to go...
    Laters

Sol

• tonygold
    • By tonygold 18th May 17, 7:52 AM
    • 554 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    tonygold
    can somebody explain to me why you would need this program as the 'official' iplayer (tv) and iplayer (radio) both allow downloads? i thought it may be because it meant you could download whilst abroad but i have learnt this is not the case.

just wondering. many thanks.
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 18th May 17, 9:38 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    can somebody explain to me why you would need this program as the 'official' iplayer (tv) and iplayer (radio) both allow downloads? i thought it may be because it meant you could download whilst abroad but i have learnt this is not the case.

just wondering. many thanks.
    Originally posted by tonygold
    Last time I looked, it was only the windows version that allowed downloads. (Presumably to enforce the DRM stuff.) I use linux.

The official one is presumably all web-based - some of us prefer command lines, scripts, etc.

Less legitimately, the official one enforces the expiry time limit, whereas iplayer lets you hang onto programs until you're ready to watch them. (Again, this was last time I looked - I don't have windows, so I can't check if this has changed.)
    • bat999
    • By bat999 18th May 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    bat999
    ... why you would need this program as the 'official' ... iplayer (radio)... allow downloads?
    Originally posted by tonygold
    Many of the BBC radio shows are available as podcasts so that they can be loaded onto an mp3 player.

But some of the BBC radio shows are not available as podcasts.
    Programs such as get_iplayer and youtube-dl enable you to dowload these shows so that they can be loaded onto an mp3 player too.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,814Posts Today

7,917Users online

Martin's Twitter