Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bell
    • By bell 14th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 289Posts
    • 2,111Thanks
    bell
    HSBC Credit Card - Direct debit setup
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    HSBC Credit Card - Direct debit setup 14th Mar 17 at 11:28 AM
    So, my wife and I have a new HSBC credit card each for balance transfers and have attempted to set up a DD for each of these.

Obviously, I want to be careful not to late pay as I will lose my 0% deal, but it seems as clear as mud as to whether my DD has been set up.

Both of us have had letters saying they are set up (mine came via their electronic system on internet banking).

However, we have both have statements after that which doesnt state the direct debit will be taken (or even mention one).

Furthermore, I can't even see the direct debit on my internet banking, it just says download a DD form here.

Bit of a nightmare really. Obviously I will make a payment before the due date via my internet banking just in case, but I am wary of double paying.

I should add that I don't bank with HSBC.

So, a couple of questions.
    - Those with a HSBC card, doesn it mention a DD on the statement when you have it in place?
    - Does it normally take several months to actually, set it up? (HSBC seem a bit !!!!less)
    Total Value of wins in 2009: £900 appox. 2010: £730

Wins 2011: Carlisle Utd Tickets (twice!), Baby Food Hamper, Straighteners, Chugginton Toy
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 13,165 Posts
    • 13,480 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    So, you need to make a manual payment until the statement says it will be taken.

It should be in place for the next statement.
    • bell
    • By bell 14th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 2,111 Thanks
    bell
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    Yeah that's what I intend to do

Wins 2011: Carlisle Utd Tickets (twice!), Baby Food Hamper, Straighteners, Chugginton Toy
    • solentsusie
    • By solentsusie 14th Mar 17, 4:05 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    solentsusie
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:05 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:05 PM
    So, you need to make a manual payment until the statement says it will be taken.

It should be in place for the next statement.
    Originally posted by zx81
    This is not correct, although you may think so.

I also received my first statement, no mention that the direct debit would be taken, and the direct debit not showing in my payees in my bank account details. I also made a manual payment assuming it wasn't set up and the direct debit was also collected.

HSBC credit card statement is as clear as mud on this as there is no mention on it of collecting the direct debit.

As it also is for balance transfers. There is no acknowledgement online when you ask to make a transfer that is has gone through or is being processed. I saw this on the card I was transferring from before it was on my HSBC card. They are a bit 20th century in their dealings with customers. Very very slow.
    • bell
    • By bell 15th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 2,111 Thanks
    bell
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    Great, so a very good chance I'll be double paying this month as I've just made a payment through Internet banking

It's not an issue as I am snowballing my credit card debts down so rather than coming off my biggest card it'll have to come of these if that's the case.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,470Posts Today

7,472Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin