Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poppyf13
    • By Poppyf13 14th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Poppyf13
    Removing a default from credit file
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    Removing a default from credit file 14th Mar 17 at 10:47 AM
    I have read a few threads about getting them removed but can I try with my case?

I was issued a default for a phone bill absolutely I honestly do not remember receiving any letter about it. Was shocked to see it pop up on my credit report.

The debt however is unpaid. Do i need to pay some it all of the debt before I Persue this? Is it worth ringing them or just sending letters as I read on a website that better?
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    Hi

It’s a long shot but there’s no harm in asking. They’re not supposed to remove defaults if they’re correct, but it occasionally works. Put it in writing, and I think that offering to pay the debt in full would help.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 14th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 35,407 Posts
    • 45,569 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    Its very unlikely they will remove it if it is correct.

Your credit file is a true record of your credit history,
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Poppyf13
    • By Poppyf13 14th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Poppyf13
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    Even if they issued it without notice they were going to give a default?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    • 11,203 Posts
    • 10,868 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    Even if they issued it without notice they were going to give a default?
    Originally posted by Poppyf13
    Yes, the breach (failure to send a default notice) can be remedied very easily by them sending it to you again.

That is all that's required to remedy the breach.
    It would not in itself constitute a valid reason for removal of the default.

If you agree you failed to pay the account, then the default was correctly applied.

If on the other hand there was a valid reason why you didn't pay, for example some kind of dispute, which was ignored by the creditor, then you could argue the default was incorrectly applied, and ask for it to be removed.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,101Posts Today

9,075Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin