Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rosie78
    • By Rosie78 14th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Rosie78
    WWYD to turn £25 into £150?
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    WWYD to turn £25 into £150? 14th Mar 17 at 10:31 AM
    Hello! I hope it is OK to post here.

I want to raise a little money to help a friend - long story. Now I'm familiar with all the methods of raising money but I'm curious - if you had £25 to turn into as much as possible, what would you do?

I'm also eBaying, surveying, cost-cutting and all the usual methods to support this as well so this is a genuine curious question!
    £2017 in 2017! : £53.59 so far!
Page 1
    • sonicology
    • By sonicology 14th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    sonicology
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    I'd invest it and be prepared to wait a long, loooooong time or gamble and be prepared for the likely outcome of losing it all (don't gamble kids, the bookies always win in the end).

If you do some reading on matched betting you could use it to make some risk free money that way, as long as you know what you're doing and don't get tempted to "put it all on 32 red".
    • Rhysaustin20
    • By Rhysaustin20 15th Mar 17, 12:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rhysaustin20
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:59 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:59 AM
    I think I would try and buy stuff for maybe £1 each then try and sell it all for £1.50 or £1.75 to make profit then try and find things that are a little bit more expensive then sell it on for more and keep going n going
    • Rosie78
    • By Rosie78 15th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Rosie78
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    I'd like to try matched betting but I am terrible with numbers! I like the idea of slowly building up though and buying and selling. I have a little business idea but am not sure about it right now
    £2017 in 2017! : £53.59 so far!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    • 9,641 Posts
    • 7,630 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    I think I would try and buy stuff for maybe £1 each then try and sell it all for £1.50 or £1.75 to make profit then try and find things that are a little bit more expensive then sell it on for more and keep going n going
    Originally posted by Rhysaustin20
    There are (or were) a few threads on this topic. But I can't remember how successful or otherwise the idea was when put into practice
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 15th Mar 17, 10:55 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:55 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:55 PM
    I would multiply it by six.
    • Tomjones
    • By Tomjones 17th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Tomjones
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    If you have no skills and just £25 to put into something then matched betting might be an option but certainly not a great one. £25 just isn't alot of money, speculate to accumulate but generally more than £25. If I only had £25 I'd think of a simple business that I could do, use the £25 for marketing (leaflets, ads etc) and then make money that way.

If you wanted to just invest it and not physically do anything then I'd probably buy a fraction of a Bitcoin as it's meant to triple in value over the course of this year. Only Bitcoin as I'm interested in it, not because it's the best investment.

Other way is to buy and sell. Again difficult with £25 but if you're lucky and come across something that you can buy for £25 or less and sell to make a profit then great. Might take a little while finding that something though.

I guess everyone will be different when it comes to making money with that £25, we all know different things, we all have different interests. You'd need to think of what would relate best to you on how you could make money with that £25. (Matched betting would be a bit silly for a novice but great for someone who's done it a lot before)
    • Tomjones
    • By Tomjones 17th Mar 17, 12:18 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Tomjones
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:18 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:18 AM
    If your looking a little method to make money though maybe look at amazon and ebay for the same products, If one is selling cheaper than the other then sell it yourself and take a commission. For example if I search Candles (Silly one but it's just an example) and Amazon has them cheaper than any eBay ads, then you can make a eBay ad selling the item and when they buy it just get it from Amazon and send it to them. (A basic way of dropshipping I suppose) Best to aim for a niche so you don't drown in other eBay ads.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,486Posts Today

7,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin