Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elsmandino
    • By elsmandino 14th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    • 86Posts
    • 4Thanks
    elsmandino
    Computer network switch advice - new switch or new power supply?
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    Computer network switch advice - new switch or new power supply? 14th Mar 17 at 10:21 AM
    Hello,

I bought this particular switch in 2011:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1008D-Unmanaged-Gigabit-Desktop/dp/B000N9B688/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489486382&sr=8-2&keywords=tp-link+switch+8+port

and the 9v 850mA power supply has just died.

I rang TP-link and they have offered to send me out a replacement for £12.00.

The power supply is one of those cheap ones that has very thin wires, so not of the best quality.

You will notice, from the Amazon link above, that the particular switch has been superseded by an updated version which looks like it is more power efficient (you can buy it in PC world for £17.00 at the moment).

What should I do?

1. Try and buy a decent quality replacement PSU on Amazon (should be able to get one for about £10.00).

2. Accept that my switch is technologically old, anyway, and get a new switch?
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 14th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    I would buy new and take the warranty it comes with then try and save the old one
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 14th Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    stupid question : do you still need an 8-port gigabit switch for your network ? Eg have more of your devices moved over to wifi since 2011 ? I just have a standard (well, 10/100) ethernet hub, but since much of the traffic moves through slower segments (wifi, powerline adapters, or broadband) it's still by far the fastest link in the chain, and therefore perfectly adequate. I got this one off freecycle.

On the amazon listing, the old product consumes 4.65W but the new one is listed as 5W. Which is interesting...
    • elsmandino
    • By elsmandino 14th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    elsmandino
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    Not a stupid question at all, old chap - however, I do indeed still need an 8 port switch (partly due to a number of RPis dotted around my home).

It does seem that a new switch is going the only sensible choice here.

Well spotted about the actual increase in wattage in the newer version of the TP-Link.

I had a look on Amazon and this looks like a perfect replacement:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS208-100UKS-Gigabit-Ethernet-Desktop/dp/B00AFVB41S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

1. 3.64 watts
    2. very solid reviews
    3. less than three squids more than buying a replacement PSU for the old switch.

What do you think?
    • fenlander_uk
    • By fenlander_uk 14th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    fenlander_uk
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    I was about to recommend exactly that model. I've never had a Netgear product that's given trouble, never had a TP-Link that hasn't.
    • elsmandino
    • By elsmandino 14th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    elsmandino
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    I was about to recommend exactly that model. I've never had a Netgear product that's given trouble, never had a TP-Link that hasn't.
    Originally posted by fenlander_uk
    Good enough for me - thanks very much indeed for the help. Going to order one now.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 14th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    EdwardB
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    Just to muddy the water, if you have not ordered yet.

Have you considered an AC router that has 1GB ports?

I hear that you need 8 ports but do they all need 1gb Lan, are they all capable of using it?

Obviously AC Router costs more but you get a very fast wireless and even laptops can be updated to AC for a reasonable sum.
    Last edited by EdwardB; 14-03-2017 at 1:39 PM.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    The power supply is one of those cheap ones that has very thin wires, so not of the best quality.
    Originally posted by elsmandino
    It only has to carry 850mA at 9V which is 7.65 watts. You don't need anything other than thin wire to carry that safely. Its nothing to do with quality and everything to do with pointlessly wasting money on cable diameter you don't need and also just because the outside looks thick it doesn't mean the actual bit carrying the current is. Its a common trick to use thin core wire with thick insulation to keep people like yourself happy. Cut open the wires on any set of earbuds or headphones and you'll find its a few strands of copper.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 15th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 8,836 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    I was a little surprised to find anybody needed to buy a PSU. I started out with just a couple left over from routers and some low volt Xmas light ones I'd replaced but last time I checked my PSU box the little blighters had been breeding. Quite a few grown up 12v ones and countless little 5v babies that would be handy for phones and tablets if they didn't all come with yet another one. Perhaps putting them in individual plastic bags may put a stop to this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,777Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter